Home Egret Boats

Pro XS efficiency

13»

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I returned the 15 for a 19. The 15 got 47-49 at 6000 with a mod. load in fresh water. Hole shot was similar. The 19 gets 52 in salt with moderate gear, 1/2 tank, two guys, 3 batteries and the trolling motor at about 5600 on the analog guage with a decent trim up. I think it will get 53 with the same load I ran testing the 15. Just hooked up the nema cable system to the engine this week to check the rpm accuracy but at the dock they were in sync up well to about 2800 rpm. First time to check the entire range of rpm vs the analog will be in the keys later this month. Bottom line is the the old EFI motors were stronger than the pro xs. The efi pushed my boat about 5-7 mph faster than the new pro xs of same HP with the same load using a 4 blade spinelli prop (I think 23p) at about 5750 rpm. The spinelli on the new engine would get about 56 top end but the hole shot, plane rpm and everything else sucked and was nowhere close to the performance of the turbo prop. Sticking with the 19 since my typical cruise speed is about 30 to 35 mph and it works great in that range. Dissapointing to loose the extra power that would squeeze out the extra speed for the rare times I run it at max but it is not the big of a deal to me. My rig is all glass and is a couple of hundred lbs heavier than most of the new ones and my platform is a foot higher than stock and it has more options and stuff attached when compared to most as well. Low 50s is probably about the best the pro xs can do on my rig no matter what the prop. I run 3 different 4 blade props now ranging from 17 - 19 and there is no substantive difference in max possible speed although the rpms varies. I have the 17 and 19 turbo and an 18 p Merc Rev. 4. All of them run between 5500 and 6000 rpms with a moderate trim at full throttle. Around most of where I run, speed to the spot is mostly a function of knowing how to run the straightest line there rather than the highest mph.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Something is wonky with some of the newer ProXS 175s me thinks. The newer Egrets (as in the last 8 months or so) I have heard about on good sources seem to be significantly slower than those delivered a year ago or so.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I returned the 15 for a 19. The 15 got 47-49 at 6000 with a mod. load in fresh water. Hole shot was similar. The 19 gets 52 in salt with moderate gear, 1/2 tank, two guys, 3 batteries and the trolling motor at about 5600 on the analog guage with a decent trim up. I think it will get 53 with the same load I ran testing the 15. Just hooked up the nema cable system to the engine this week to check the rpm accuracy but at the dock they were in sync up well to about 2800 rpm. First time to check the entire range of rpm vs the analog will be in the keys later this month. Bottom line is the the old EFI motors were stronger than the pro xs. The efi pushed my boat about 5-7 mph faster than the new pro xs of same HP with the same load using a 4 blade spinelli prop (I think 23p) at about 5750 rpm. The spinelli on the new engine would get about 56 top end but the hole shot, plane rpm and everything else sucked and was nowhere close to the performance of the turbo prop. Sticking with the 19 since my typical cruise speed is about 30 to 35 mph and it works great in that range. Dissapointing to loose the extra power that would squeeze out the extra speed for the rare times I run it at max but it is not the big of a deal to me. My rig is all glass and is a couple of hundred lbs heavier than most of the new ones and my platform is a foot higher than stock and it has more options and stuff attached when compared to most as well. Low 50s is probably about the best the pro xs can do on my rig no matter what the prop. I run 3 different 4 blade props now ranging from 17 - 19 and there is no substantive difference in max possible speed although the rpms varies. I have the 17 and 19 turbo and an 18 p Merc Rev. 4. All of them run between 5500 and 6000 rpms with a moderate trim at full throttle. Around most of where I run, speed to the spot is mostly a function of knowing how to run the straightest line there rather than the highest mph.

Glad to see you got it worked out. I new i was right!
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    I've seen mid 50s with my boat loaded to the hilt for fishing and sandbaring with a Ultima 21... weird that you cann't get above low 50s. Can't wait to try the new Croxton Razor!!!
    Underslot wrote: »
    I've seen mid 50s with my boat loaded to the hilt for fishing and sandbaring with a Ultima 21... weird that you cann't get above low 50s. Can't wait to try the new Croxton Razor!!!

Are you going to the Keys for the Hawks Cay thing? I'd like to test out that 21 for a run.
    No I'm not, we have the El Pescado here in St. Augustine that weekend. Poleposition might be onto somthing as my boat was built about 2 years ago... seems all of ours that were built right in that window seem to run pretty good.
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I have hit 58 with my Ultima 21. This was just myself and fishing top water, no nets, livewell ect. My boat is 2007 CK, 175 pro xs. Poleposition's old boat. I only lose 3-5 mph no matter how heavy I am loaded. It's a great prop.
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Well, I don't know if this confirms anything but for what it's worth, I ran 55+ @ 5500 rpm wot yesterday. My 175 pro xs was installed in April, I'm running a 20" Ultima with the motor mounting on the second hole down, that's trimmed out with two people on board and a half tank of fuel. Add to that, the fact that it's 55 degrees on Long Island. Florida built 189 c/k.
    So, I'll defer to the experts, do I need to change my prop to gain a couple hundred rpm, or lower the motor down one hole. I am now very close to the top speed of the 175 carbed Yamaha Vmax I replaced, and I think I could have trimmed it out to reach 56.
    5l8lqw.jpg
    I was advised a week ago by one of the sales reps they dont mfg. the Ultima 20 any longer. Merc says the motor should run at least 5500 at wot but perhaps a little more pitch and less rpms works better on these rigs. I want to test a 20 or 21 just to see what happens to the performance on mine. Or perhaps a little less diameter and more pitch is the tix on some rigs.
    I dont run ever run WOT so I'm only 99% sure but I THINK I saw 5,500-5,600 with the 21. I'll double check this weekend but it will be a loaded number as I have a full tank of gas and am loaded for everything... think I even have a few Marlin rigs in one of the boxes LOL.
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Well, I don't know if this confirms anything but for what it's worth, I ran 55+ @ 5500 rpm wot yesterday. My 175 pro xs was installed in April, I'm running a 20" Ultima with the motor mounting on the second hole down, that's trimmed out with two people on board and a half tank of fuel. Add to that, the fact that it's 55 degrees on Long Island. Florida built 189 c/k.
    So, I'll defer to the experts, do I need to change my prop to gain a couple hundred rpm, or lower the motor down one hole. I am now very close to the top speed of the 175 carbed Yamaha Vmax I replaced, and I think I could have trimmed it out to reach 56.

From my experience the Florida built boats are heavy and will not get the same performance numbers as the newer boats that is fact. My motor is mounted on the second hole down also. I have driven the same boat with the motor all the way down on the first hole. I feel that is where the boat performs the best. I will get around to lowering it. With it mounted in the second hole it will run flatter and can ventilate out of the hole a little also can lose grip in tight turns with the 20 Ultima. Your numbers are pretty good for a Florida built boat lowering the motor will help and a 19 pitch Ultima by getting the hull out of the water more and increasing RPM's. IMO
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    From my experience the Florida built boats are heavy and will not get the same performance numbers as the newer boats that is fact. My motor is mounted on the second hole down also. I have driven the same boat with the motor all the way down on the first hole. I feel that is where the boat performs the best. I will get around to lowering it. With it mounted in the second hole it will run flatter and can ventilate out of the hole a little also can lose grip in tight turns with the 20 Ultima. Your numbers are pretty good for a Florida built boat lowering the motor will help and a 19 pitch Ultima by getting the hull out of the water more and increasing RPM's. IMO

When you say Florida built boats are heavy...I understand that to mean that they are heavier than those built in NC. How much heavier are they? As I understand it, they have the same hull but a different deck, can't be that much of a difference. That said...Should I stay away from the Florida built EGRETS.
    From my under standing the Florida built boats were 300 to 400 lbs. heavier then the ones being built in North Carolina.No reason to stay away from the older Egrets unless you like the new deck layout better.
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    When you say Florida built boats are heavy...I understand that to mean that they are heavier than those built in NC. How much heavier are they? As I understand it, they have the same hull but a different deck, can't be that much of a difference. That said...Should I stay away from the Florida built EGRETS.
    Well HEAVY is a relative term so I'd take that statement with a grain of salt. Florida Egrets were listed as 850lbs, and NC egret says 825lbs. c/k and 950 fiberglass, however Frank told me the new ones are lighter. 300-400lbs??

Anyway Flatsboy said in reply #23, quite empirically:
    "My stock 20 pitch Ultima see's 5800 and 58 mph and my B&B Ultima 20p was right in between the stock 20 & 21 so i know these props like the back of my hand heck i'm the one that discoved the Ultimas to run on the Egrets before me no one ever ran them."

I ran my 1999 189 c/k, with the same prop and motor height and got 5500rpm wot, and 55-56 mph. so there's the difference. 300-400lbs, seriously?
    And my fuel numbers are on par with those posted by poleposition at the start of this thread. I think the thrust of this thread is that while the pro xs are very efficient, are they as strong as the old EFI's and carbed Vmax's of the same hp rating. The fact that Glen hasn't been able to match the performance of his EFI with his new pro xs, even with the same prop does seem odd.
    5l8lqw.jpg
    Besides the boat weight differences and the older motors making more power. I still believe that driver input make a difference also in getting the speed and performance I have stated with my numbers.Also the summer will change thing compared to the winter. See below the new thread I started.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?79696-New-and-Improved-Prop-Thread!&p=992327#post992327