Is Port Canaveral corrupt?

I can recall when this story broke a couple years back and I honestly didn't think anything would ever come of it. Growing up here, from time to time you'd here stories about the good ole boy network out at the port but nothing seemed to stick.

Do you think term limits on commissioners would help prevent this type of corruption? What can the port do to restore public confidence that business dealing at the port are fair and above board?

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110724/NEWS01/107240324/Behind-Port-Canaveral-scandal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home
2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
Etec 250

Replies

• FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    I don't think anyone was surprised at that article, I know I wasn't. It is more than just the polico's that are corrupt out there, but they all think they are above the law. Maybe term limits might help, who knows.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • native sonnative son Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Hey Orson, wasnt that your boat pictured in the paper yesterday, if not it sure looked like it...?
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 647 Officer
    Where, which section?
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • EricLEricL Posts: 322 Officer
    Sounds about right from my perspective and working with them
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 647 Officer
    just got a hold of a copy and yep, that's me and the old Panga cruising by. Looks like I'm going a bit fast :grin
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • AcefishAcefish Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    [QUOTE=O.SEA.D;85063)

Do you think term limits on commissioners would help prevent this type of corruption ? What can the port do to restore public confidence that business dealing at the port are fair and above board ?[/QUOTE]

There's been a culture of corruption at the Port for years. This is just one small very minor incident, comparatively speaking. The entire organization needs a complete shake up.

OBTW Why were not the bribe givers held equally as culpable as the bribe taker ?
  • native sonnative son Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    just wondering that myself? money still talks there......
  • EricLEricL Posts: 322 Officer
    Acefish wrote: »
    There's been a culture of corruption at the Port for years. This is just one small very minor incident, comparatively speaking. The entire organization needs a complete shake up.

OBTW Why were not the bribe givers held equally as culpable as the bribe taker ?

They are untouchable's , just ask them , they are the port .
  • HighSpeedPursuitHighSpeedPursuit Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Drink the beer...avoid the food...what a shame.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,737 AG
    Where have you people been your whole life?...under a rock?...Corruption *IS* everywhere.....Look for money...It will be close by.

I have mixed feelings on term limits....but generally favor them. The down side is some "good" worker with high morals and ethics only gets a short window to effect change...and if there is a bad ingrained culture...he may not have enough time to do what he needs to.
    The up side is that the career criminal politico doesn't have much time to build "favors" and a dynasty with him as King.

Anyway, Short answer.. YES Orson....I think term limits will help somewhat.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ACME Ventures FishingACME Ventures Fishing Posts: 851 Officer
    It may not be corruption but the Port Commission does seem like it has a goal
    of replacing the fishing related operators with more Cruise related infastructure.
    I guess thats all about the money. Several operators from Bait Shops to marina's
    have noted recent changes designed to limit their activities and growth. From
    restricting signage and advertising to denying oppurtunities to grow business with
    new rules, it really seems like the Port wants the whole fishing and marina area
    shut down to make way for their own development. It really would seem that
    small business in the port growing would be a good thing, but if the port wants their
    own ventures in there, they seem to be doing what they can to drive out the existing
    operators.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,737 AG
    We kinda get the same ol - same ol around here. The city council of Sebastian has this pipe dream of us being " A sleepy little fishing village"..... But guess what? They *HAD* that!!! ....changed it in favor of "waterfront district" color restictions to mimic some Key west deal and Hirams whole "Islandshphere" crap-O-la... They want "tourist restaurants" Like Hirams , Mulligans and Squid lips....
    So much so that those Effers *SOLD* publicly owned parking spaces at THE YACHT CLUB BOAT RAMP PARKING LOT...PAID FOR WITH CITIZENS MONEY!!!...So that Mullys could get by zoning rules..... So, "Sleepy fishing village" my paper ****!!!!! They close the ramps on many holidays etc for parades and 3 K runs etc...and every other BS "festival" in Riverview park....eff the poor "little man" selling bait and tackle or the poor fisherman slob wanting to use the ramp.

Lets not forget the 1.3 MILLION they spent putting in a "round about" and plants and walkways at the main street ramp....and didn't do one thing TO THE RAMP!
    The channel is silted in....with some old car motor blocks just waiting to meet your propellor or skeg....the docks are up so high you get a nose bleed useing them....Not one penny on THAT stuff.....

See...politics are the same everywhere... Smart people go fishing...others run for office! LOL!!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Redfish ChuckRedfish Chuck Posts: 107 Officer
    It may not be corruption but the Port Commission does seem like it has a goal
    of replacing the fishing related operators with more Cruise related infastructure.
    I guess thats all about the money. Several operators from Bait Shops to marina's
    have noted recent changes designed to limit their activities and growth. From
    restricting signage and advertising to denying oppurtunities to grow business with
    new rules, it really seems like the Port wants the whole fishing and marina area
    shut down to make way for their own development. It really would seem that
    small business in the port growing would be a good thing, but if the port wants their
    own ventures in there, they seem to be doing what they can to drive out the existing
    operators.

I don't know what changes you are talking about the Port has been very good to us here at Handler Fishing Supply.. the Port Really just needs to make "good" use of the land that is left and put things out here for people to come and do, but not like the tent market down the street but rather a legit shopping center or something to that effect. And as said before if money stands to be made dirty people show up with their hands out that is just life ....