Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Who gets the ticket.

SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
If you are on a boat and an illegal fish is kept who gets the ticket?
The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 12,285 AG
    I would think that if the guilty party does not fess up, both/all of you could be cited. There is no way they can tell who caught the fish unless they saw you. Of course I am not the law so I may be way off base. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • PermitchaserPermitchaser Posts: 871 Officer
    i was on a bridge once,i saw FWC ask to three dudes who wants to get the ticket?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    If your on a boat and no one wants to fess up, then the captain gets the ticket. Ultimately the captain is responsible for the actions of everyone onboard.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Mako is correct.

I assume you are talking about a recreational boat? If I was checking a boat in Federal Waters, and the person who caught the illegal fish claimed the fish, that person would be charged. If no one claimed the fish, then the captain/owner of boat would get charged.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    Mako is correct.

I assume you are talking about a recreational boat? If I was checking a boat in Federal Waters, and the person who caught the illegal fish claimed the fish, that person would be charged. If no one claimed the fish, then the captain/owner of boat would get charged.

Thank you. Your contributions to this site is greatly appreciated.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    Mako is correct.

Thats what I thought, Thanks for all the input everyone
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!