west end fail

jtarterjtarter Posts: 7 Greenhorn
soo we left for west end yesterday morning around 10 30 out of palm beach and halfway over our prop spins. Then were about 17 miles away and our other prop spins:facepalm. We finally contact the coast guard and they send sea tow over to get us which wasnt until like 3 hours. They towed us home which took about 6 hours, luckily we had nice seas. Were prob gonna head back over wednesday.

Replies

• isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Ouch! I guess it was not meant to be. Hope it works out in the future for you
  • jtarterjtarter Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks man and we just had our props redone not even a week ago
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Sorry to read about your prop issues. I have a long trip coming up soon and purchased two sets of hubs just in case. I am ignorant when it comes to this What causes hub failure?

Where are u headed to? And in my case the sealing in the hub totally melted, im not sure why cause thats never happened before really. But then again i dont know alot about props and hubs
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    overloaded, your boat is probably propped for normal loads, then you overloaded the second prop somehow? did you plane on one engine? You might actually check your max RPM to make sure that when fully loaded your not killing them, not sure what motors but for example if its a 4 stroke that maxes at 6K and you only get 5700 normally when fully loaded you may only get 5200/5300 - that will kill them.

Keep in mind sometimes props that have been rehubbed a couple times won't hold as well as when new.
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    ya we did have a full tank of gas 4 people and alot of luggage and stuff.. and when our first prop gave out we probably put too much strain on the other engine, and no we didnt plan with one engine. Thats what i was thinking cause we just got it rehubbed
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    I have 2 sets of props. One set I leave on 90% of the time. The other set has a pitch 2" lower, and whenever I go to the Bahamas and I'm loaded like you were, I swap props and put the lower pitch ones on.
  • TraeTrae Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I would put metal hubs in and not worry about it again.
    we have yamahas which can only take metal hubs unlike mercs which can take plastic. The rubber seal inside the hub melted away from what i saw when i took the prop off today
  • JesseburzJesseburz Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    sucks too suck :)
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    It happened to the plastic inserts on the Yamaha we were on. They had the merc hubs. I think there was a previous thread about what to take to the Bahamas and I remember saying, take extra hubs. It is tough to change them at sea though.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers