Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Full moon fishn Marco/Capri with an October MONSTER video

Fall has always been my favorite time of year to hunt for fish. Bait is everywhere and weather is getting bearable during the day.
I'm new to this area down here and have been slowly exploring my way south. Had good success in Naples and Rookery bay but it was now time for Marco.
Looking at the tides and solunar tables prime fishing times were 10pm-12:30am - 10am -1pm and they were right on the button.
The Plan: launch at 2am and get bait. Scout the canals for lights and learn our way around north Marco/ Marco River and Capri.
Sunrise fish Keywaadin for some snook. wait for incoming to move to mangroves for Reds and whatever.
Thanks to a fellow forum member bait was a cinch! Thanks bro! Blacked out with 1 toss. Threw a couple more times to get more ladyfish for chunk bait.
Got a couple tips from people that the Greenbacks weren't working as well as shrimp. But I fish too much to be shelling out $25-$30 a trip for these prime baits. Especially with all the annoying mangrove snappers out and about. So we were gonna roll with the free pilchards today. And they worked great.
The dock lights along the Marco river had some good numbers of feeding snook. However with the full moon current it was nearly impossible to fish and keep a bait in the zone. Amazing amount of current in that area! We ended up with 4 snooklets (not pic worthy) less than 20 inches. Lost 1 good run to a piling.
We rode the current to the mouth of the river and decided to set out some bigger baits out in the channel before sunrise. I poked around and found a nice little ledge and some bait about 100 yards off the beach. We threw the hook, deployed baits and started the chum slick.
Hoping for some mackeral for the smoker or a wandering tarpon perhaps. But as soon as I cast the second flat line the whole ladyfish on the bottom right off the back of the boat goes for a run.
The man in the grey suit came to the party right before sunrise. And he wasn't small!!!!:wink
After 200 yards of line smoked off the reel in the first 30 seconds I pulled the hook and we gave chase. A little of an hour later this came to the surface....

[video=youtube_share;n40enztOsv4]

I measured my leader it was 6 foot 3 inches. He was easily a foot longer than the leader. and super girthy. I gave it 7 foot 250lbs .... any guesses on weight????

With adrenalin fully injected we caught our second wind. We headed for the back country to finish our morning in the mangroves.
We pulled up to our predetermined spot from Google earth and was pleasantly surprised with the action in the area. Saw schools of bait getting smashed by jacks and dolphin. We pushed up on a mangrove island and straight slayed them with every cast. First to the party were some drag screaming Jack crevalle. Boy are they fun on light tackle.

Then right at 10:30 as the charts said the Reds started chewing good. We caught 7-8 before we headed home at noon. We left em biting. all caught on live pilchers "in" the mangrove roots.

Thanks for reading, it was a good fun trip for us. Many more reports coming this month!
No more swimming at Keywaadin for me!!

Replies