Home Angler On Foot

soflo

Danny0249Danny0249 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
New to the south florida area and was wondering if anyone knows good places to go target fish(snook, tarpon n jacks) from boynton--pompano obviously by foot. Was looking for any good bridges or beach/inlets that hold some fish. Thanks!

Replies

• SnooksterSnookster Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Flagler bridge
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Boynton Inlet is great. Outgoing tide is almost always the best. I don't have much experience at Boca Inlet but it has been known to produce some snook and the crowds are smaller. A little further north is Lake Worth Pier. I haven't been there fishing since 2005 but there used to always be snook (NOT easy to catch) and cudas there. I've seen everything caught there. Snook, tarpon, redfish (really really rare), bluefish, spanish macks, kingfish, bonito, cudas, sharks, rays, jacks, blue runners, mangrove snapper, permit, pompano, even sailfish! The El Camino Real bridge in Boca is known for producing snook, but never been there. Hope this is a good start.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    In twenty-some years, I never had much consistent luck at Boynton Inlet -- but a lot of people fish there. They seem to mostly catch small common pan fish. Every once in awhile there will be a run of snappers so I am always prepared with my stuff in the Explorer to rush out.

Better I prefer is off the beach at Gulf Stream Park. This is a beautiful park with lots of free parking. It is about a quarter mile south of Briny Breezes (or, a few miles south of Boynton Inlet on A1A).

About 150 yards south of the lifeguard stand is nice little patch reef about 50 yards out; 10 to 15 feet of water. A great place to snorkel, and you never know what will hit if surf fishing with a common old dead shrimp hook . . . or something live if you want to be more aggressive.

Pomps along the shore line are also occasionally good -- especially if you can score some sand fleas on the beach.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Baits Out wrote: »
    In twenty-some years, I never had much consistent luck at Boynton Inlet -- but a lot of people fish there.

I find that surprising. It's one of the most consistent places (land-based in Palm Beach County) I have seen for snook. When the mullet run is in, the variety is endless. The outgoing tide has always been my favorite but more oceanic species that love clean water can sometimes only be found on incoming tide. I guess it depends on your target.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    landlubber wrote: »
    I find that surprising. It's one of the most consistent places (land-based in Palm Beach County) I have seen for snook. When the mullet run is in, the variety is endless. The outgoing tide has always been my favorite but more oceanic species that love clean water can sometimes only be found on incoming tide. I guess it depends on your target.

Guess I have been there at the wrong times. Have never ever seen a snook or witnessed anyone catching one??

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time.