Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Shipment from mud hole!

Hey guys just got some decals for my flats blue rod. How do you guys like these wraps and how do you install them?----ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344628958.693393.jpg
I will post picture of when I get it all on the rod

Tight lines, fishingkid315
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,966 Captain
  • PermitchaserPermitchaser Posts: 871 Officer
    mudhole have a tutorial its in youtube,its call applying a custom decal.you will need to epoxy that after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,953 Captain
    mudhole have a tutorial its in youtube,its call applying a custom decal.you will need to epoxy that after.

I didn't know you had to epoxy it lol...

Sarasota,Fl 
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    You need the decal a wrapping table and a drying motor. Order flex coat epoxy and I'll do it for you if your close enough to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    I didn't know you had to epoxy it lol...

LOL ,sorry to give you the bad news kid,if you were closer to me ,i will also do it for ya,maybe a rod builder close to you on this forum will like to help you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    They are peel and stick and will adhere to the rod, however without epoxy over it to protect them, they likely wont last very long in use.
    Sea fish I have never applied a decal like this do you have to put cp over them? Or just epoxy

ted.gif
    ted.gif
    monoxide wrote: »
    Sea fish I have never applied a decal like this do you have to put cp over them? Or just epoxy

no cp needed just epoxy ,without wont last too long.CP its only for threats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok I wasn't 100% if the colors would fade or what ever with out cp on it.

ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    You need the decal a wrapping table and a drying motor. Order flex coat epoxy and I'll do it for you if your close enough to me.

Good advise, built rods for years, if you don't have a drying motor, use a variable spped drill motor and set it as low as it will go, make sure you have a V shape jig for the tip of the rod(10 inched befor the tip) and tape the chuck to the butt of the rod. Make sure the rod spins straight and a a yery low speed. Apply flex coat while its turning, a thin coat first, then after about an hour, another coat. If your interted in rod building the Mud Hole can set you up with the right equiptment or look for used stuff on ebay or the hull truth. I started building them as a hobby, when I got pretty good at it I turned it into a small business catering to charter boats in NJ. As long as you have good eyes and a steady hand you can build some really exotic stuff. Good luck
    Ok I wasn't 100% if the colors would fade or what ever with out cp on it.

no pro friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    no pro friend.

Ok that makes it one step easier. Lol

ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    Do any tackle shops around you fix broken guides and tips? If so they have all the equipment and will help you out for cheap. If it costs 8-9 bucks to wrap a new guide and epoxy it then just putting epoxy for you will be not a problem.
    i am doing the decal and rewrapping a st.croix rod he has just have to find a time to meet up
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    i am doing the decal and rewrapping a st.croix rod he has just have to find a time to meet up

for the kid?
    very nice of you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yea. I figure I can do one nice thing each year

ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • CATTLE MANCATTLE MAN Posts: 129 Officer
    IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE W&M FLATS BLUE ROD,,IF YOU IF YOU GLASS IT IN ANYWAY WAY THEY VOID THE WARRANTY,,AND WONT RAPLACE IF IT BREAKS
    the kid is always getting in trouble lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,953 Captain
    Ahah no im not?
    the kid is always getting in trouble lol.
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    The flats blue rod has such a moderate action and is quite heavy. Personally I wouldn't want thing, but hey, marketing is EVERYTHING!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    seanfish wrote: »
    The flats blue rod has such a moderate action and is quite heavy. Personally I wouldn't want thing, but hey, marketing is EVERYTHING!

At least they're Made in the USA! :wink
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,966 Captain
    seanfish wrote: »

It's bright blue! I must have it!
  • Caribbean SoulCaribbean Soul Posts: 234 Officer
    W&M = Eagle Claw
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,237 Moderator
    Rondo wrote: »

Good advise, built rods for years, if you don't have a drying motor, use a variable spped drill motor and set it as low as it will go, make sure you have a V shape jig for the tip of the rod(10 inched befor the tip) and tape the chuck to the butt of the rod. Make sure the rod spins straight and a a yery low speed. Apply flex coat while its turning, a thin coat first, then after about an hour, another coat. If your interted in rod building the Mud Hole can set you up with the right equiptment or look for used stuff on ebay or the hull truth. I started building them as a hobby, when I got pretty good at it I turned it into a small business catering to charter boats in NJ. As long as you have good eyes and a steady hand you can build some really exotic stuff. Good luck

About 10 years ago I was trying to build a rod and was not up for buying the professional stuff. Wanted to build a couple and sure enough, the interest waned. Fortunately, all I was left with was a $20 motor form a party store... the one that turns a disco ball... three homemade rod rests (rock maple with notched starboard pieces screwed intot hem) some flex coat and three half used spools of thread.

Anyway, if you don't want to go with the drill, the Disco Ball motor works well. I fastned a lenght of garden hose to the shaft, split it down the middle and then used a hose clamp to tighten up on pretty much any size rear grip.

I built three rods with that. My last one was a 9' 6wt fly rod... a St. Croix Legend Ultra, which was the bee's knees back in 2000.

Good luck with the decal. I never messed with any of the wraps like that. I did flexcoat a snapper / light grouper decal into the first rod I ever built (Christmas present for my dad). That rod was ultra plain Jane, but he sure liked it. Of course that's until an out of towner came fishing with us and lost it and the TLD overboard.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"