Lake Okeechobee Hogs

kmf600kmf600 Posts: 188 Officer
I posted this in the ask the law section, noone has given my a real answere yet.

"Is it legal to hunt/kill hogs ON Lake Okeechobee? We were gator hunting and saw 20+ hogs on one of the islands in the lake. I was thinking about getting off the boat and killing one but we didn't want to break any laws. I can't find any info with a Google search or on the FWC website. If you know, can you give me a link to read the regulations?

Thanks"

Replies

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,046 Officer
    look into souverign land of florida. If below mean high water mark and your projectile does not tresspass this mark you should be ok.

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,280 Captain
    Interesting question.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • campertopcampertop Posts: 722 Officer
    Yes, it is legal, have hunted Kramer Island plenty of times, It is loaded with hogs, big hogs with some big ol' nasty teeth.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 658 Officer
    But its public land. So is it legal year round?
  • BaileyLegalBaileyLegal Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Fwc: Year-round by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows and pistols. Hunting license not required on private property. Wild hogs also may be trapped but cannot be transported alive without permit from the Florida Dept. of Agriculture at 850-410-0900. (D)
    Bag Limit: No Limits

I believe that lake okeechobee is not a wma. Example Taylor Francis, dinner island.. All have season dates. Meaning year around hunting no limit would be my answer
  • campertopcampertop Posts: 722 Officer
    Yes can be hunted for Hogs year round
  • ProFISHentProFISHent Posts: 731 Officer
    you are not allowed to have a firearm on the boat while gator hunting. they changed in a couple years ago to allow CWP holders allowed to carry but I dont know if that applies to rifles. You will have a tough time explaining it to FWC if they catch you gator hunting with a rifle on the boat.

Other than that you can hunt high water marks and there are plenty of hogs feeding on waters edge!!!
  • huntsfloridahuntsflorida Posts: 370 Deckhand
    It's legal to hunt hogs in lake Okeechobee. There are quite a few hunting out there. Most are now going to die due to high water anyway....it's over 15.5 feet now.
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Everglades Adventures Inc.
    Alligators Inc.
    Alligators International LLC.
    www.huntsflorida.com
    South Florida's Finest Hunting Safari's for over 25 years for:
    Osceola Turkey, Alligator and Whitetail on over
    75,000 acres of South Florida's most private pristine ranches.

Alligator Processing in State Certified and Inspected Facility.
    Follow our clients results on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/EvergladesAdventures
  • kmf600kmf600 Posts: 188 Officer
    Thanks fro all the replies. Man we could have filled all 3 of our coolers that night. I'd like to get up there again soon to do some large mouth fishing and pop a hog or two if they're out. Probably never see another one.

I'd still like to get it in writing from FWC, but they hate to commit to anything. It's always a phone conversation or out the truck window. I guess they want to cover their poopers too.
  • kmf600kmf600 Posts: 188 Officer
    ProFISHent wrote: »
    you are not allowed to have a firearm on the boat while gator hunting. they changed in a couple years ago to allow CWP holders allowed to carry but I dont know if that applies to rifles. You will have a tough time explaining it to FWC if they catch you gator hunting with a rifle on the boat.

Other than that you can hunt high water marks and there are plenty of hogs feeding on waters edge!!!

Yeah, that's one thing they did tell me. We all have CWP, I had my .45, we were so close to them. I was going to get off the boat because we weren't too sure about hunting off the boat. There wasn't much room for them to run and hide.
  • eorlandoeorlando Posts: 560 Officer
    kmf600 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's one thing they did tell me. We all have CWP, I had my .45, we were so close to them. I was going to get off the boat because we weren't too sure about hunting off the boat. There wasn't much room for them to run and hide.

Let me know if you want to go and catch some with the dogs. I have the dogs but no boat. Either PM me or call me 239-225-3093. Eric
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Yes it is legal to hunt them on the lake year round is public land not a wma I'm not to sure about what you can use to harvest them a shotgun I know is fine and maybe a handgun hell if I had seen them I'd been warming the barrel on my 1911 lol! Just ask an officer next time your out and see one. And I agree don't get caught with a long gun while gator hunting its not worth it
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,997 Moderator
    Of course even if they're at the waters edge at night and are using anything other than night vision or moonlight, you'll need a gun and light permit.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"