Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

"Flamingo" from Fort DeSoto

ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
Actually a Roseate Spoonbill.

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Its amazing what eating shrimp does to bird plumage.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Excellent photo
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Good work on the "catch light" in the eye - that is what makes the photo.

Take the contrast button and move it two bumps to the right and the sat button about three bumps to the right.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I assume that translates to more contrast and saturation please? I've only got Paint Shop Pro to work with...
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Yes, that is what it means.

Free software: Zoner Photo Studio or **** or Photoscape.................do it.
    Yes, that is what it means.

Free software: Zoner Photo Studio or **** or Photoscape.................do it.

I've actually got both **** and Zoner. I used to use Zoner all the time but I've been pretty happy with Paint Shop Pro Ultimate with the NIK Photo effects plugin pack for the $39.00 I paid for it. I lack the attention span to use **** much.
  • Steve SuttonSteve Sutton Posts: 122 Officer
    bump the sat on just it...bumping the sat and contrast on the background did nothing but add noise and , to me, a lot of distraction as the enhanced colors compete with the bird.....

Working on the bird go really easy on the contrast, if you went three as recommended then what you got was more vibrant colors but you also lost a ton of definition in the feathers, almost all the definition in the scales of the legs and the wrecked the birds eye, (you had a pupil and the catch light in the first one and now you have a solid black eye with the catch light in this one). Those "losses" take away from the fpicture, to me, rather than adding to them....

Try it with an islolation and adjustment on the bird only, (and if you want to really play isolate the eye only, open it up, bump the sat, and watch the entire look of the picture change), going really easy on the contrast.....

Steve
    bump the sat on just it...bumping the sat and contrast on the background did nothing but add noise and , to me, a lot of distraction as the enhanced colors compete with the bird.....

Working on the bird go really easy on the contrast, if you went three as recommended then what you got was more vibrant colors but you also lost a ton of definition in the feathers, almost all the definition in the scales of the legs and the wrecked the birds eye, (you had a pupil and the catch light in the first one and now you have a solid black eye with the catch light in this one). Those "losses" take away from the fpicture, to me, rather than adding to them....

Try it with an islolation and adjustment on the bird only, (and if you want to really play isolate the eye only, open it up, bump the sat, and watch the entire look of the picture change), going really easy on the contrast.....

Steve

That's a lot to ask of a guy with the attention span of a bartlet pear like me. ;)

I'll give it a try sometime...
  • Steve SuttonSteve Sutton Posts: 122 Officer
    o.k. then ....how about I say this....

I liked the first one better...before the adjustments...

Better?...

Steve
    I kind of agree with you, the adjustments made it look cartoonish. If the pic hadn't been of a bird I rarely see I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Chuck,
    when i shoot birds i always go for focus on the eye....
    the rest will follow...including AE...usually....
    it's a good image with just a little too much apparent back light....
    CS and elements will allow you to tuern down some of the back light pretty easy which is the only thing that keeps the image from being very good to really great...
    but thats just me....
    i just wish we had spoonbills up here like y'all do down there...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,992 Admiral
    I usually try to focus on the eye as much as possible but sometimes the camera has a different idea. That spoonbill was shot handheld with my 300 f4 AF-D screwdrive lens and was cropped pretty heavily anyway so it wasn't the best shot to work with. Spoonbills aren't all that common in North florida but I do have a pic of 13 of them in a dead tree with one egret to mix things up. Unfortunately the tree is way out in the marsh and the light was really bad that day. Had I had 2x as much glass and better light it would have been a very neat photo.

Canepole, yours looks good to me, the slight rotation and cropping out some of the vegetation made a big difference.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Eric...
    i believe you you hit it...
    it was what i was trying to get across to Chuck....
    just a simple adjustment to the background....
    subtle yet still capturing the "eye"...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,427 Admiral
    Awesome pic , one of my favorite birds.