How to become a firstmate/deckhand on a charted boat.

flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
I got laid off and would love a fishing related job. How would I go about contacting someone for becoming a first mate or know anyone looking? I am in the Tampa Bay area.

Replies

• Big JohnBig John Posts: 577 Officer
    :Popcorn
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,575 AG
    OK...here goes...just know that my specialty is as a "Reality checker"......
    First, you only THINK you'd like that job.... Sounds like fun huh.....It's not.
    Basicly, If you love fishing...keep it as your hobby....or else you run the real risk of losing that love.

You want to make decent money...love being on the water...can be gone extended periods without wife/kids issues....Get your Able seaman card ands make the Sea your mistress. The port of Tampa would be a good home port.

Otherwise, Go back to school...get a job in the medical field....there are alot of options and almost every one has you inside out of the heat relatively clean (if you don't count blood/vomit/urine and feces LOL) You live in the 4 th largest population state with the most "boomers"...medical will always be busy here....and will be steady and pay much better.

Sorry to be a downer...but there's the plain truth.

PS...If you do what I say and get a good job....You owe me a beer and lunch...You can Thank me then!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • jupitersailfishjupitersailfish Posts: 220 Officer
    Just walk the docks and become friends with some of the captains. Anything to get your name out there so that people know you know what you are doing.
    Kill Swordy :fishing
    boat.jpg
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,528 Captain
    Great advice,duckmanJR
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I made a wise choice going into the construction trade ( Electrician ). Then the market crashed...
  • Tarpon20Tarpon20 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Check out craigslist or look online, merchant marine academy would also be an option if you could do it. Dont let others get you down, I have been a full time guide for 7yrs now after working on a boat for 2yrs prior. I have been fishing my whole life and love it, some people get into guiding for the wrong reasons. I will never be rich off of it, but my wife gets to stay home with my 2 little boys and they get to spend a lot of time on the water. Fishing is a way of life for me and I am very lucky to do what I love, I dont think a lot of people truly love what they do. Ever hear some say "man I love pouring concrete" or "I cant wait to get up in the morning and go install some cabinets". Do what makes you happy
    Tarpon20 wrote: »
    Check out craigslist or look online, merchant marine academy would also be an option if you could do it. Dont let others get you down, I have been a full time guide for 7yrs now after working on a boat for 2yrs prior. I have been fishing my whole life and love it, some people get into guiding for the wrong reasons. I will never be rich off of it, but my wife gets to stay home with my 2 little boys and they get to spend a lot of time on the water. Fishing is a way of life for me and I am very lucky to do what I love, I dont think a lot of people truly love what they do. Ever hear some say "man I love pouring concrete" or "I cant wait to get up in the morning and go install some cabinets". Do what makes you happy

I knew somebody would chime in with the "follow your dream" crap-o-la.

Tell me about your benefit package?....You know...how many weeks paid vacation? How about sick days?...Personal leave? Comp time? Life and Health insurance? Optical and dental?... Whats the retirement plan like?.... How many years till your vested? Minimum age to retire? ...Can I contribute to a 451 B plan?....a 401 K? Is there a COLA on my retirement? How about educational reimbersment?...any room for advancement or lateral movement to other fields?

OK Tarpon...Tell the kid the answer to those....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I made a wise choice going into the construction trade ( Electrician ). Then the market crashed...

Apparently, You don't understand the difference between the terms "job" and "career".....If you don't understand that...I wasted time typing that information in post #3 for you.

Besides, what do I know.....I'm 55 YO and have been retired 3 years and 4 months and go fishing every day...or hunting when in season..
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Florida BoyFlorida Boy Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    go to John pass and look there first your in a great place to get a job fishing. but if will start out doing ***** work but if you ask me its still fun.
    hhhh-1.jpg
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Duckmanjr, you sir are a loser! Good luck flatsjunkie, get out there and meet as many captains as you can!
  • dnaberdnaber Posts: 309 Officer
    Duckmanjr, years from now those that called you names will think back and say "Duckmanjr really did understand life". As a young man in the military I had a supervisor who once told me that you should alway think about where you want to be in 10 years and drive yourself towards that goal. Flatsjunkie good luck in your career choices and in life.
    Don Naber
    USAF (Retired)
    Middleburg, FL.
    God Bless America, And All That Serve This Great Nation
  • Tarpon20Tarpon20 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    1st off not everyone has the ability to become a doctor or CEO, some already have a family and had a great career before the economy went to crap. I know down here in Collier County that most career jobs don't pay crap, police, fire, teachers. Great they have retirement and benefits and still rent and during there great summer vacations they get a 2nd job. Half of the fireman are part time guides. That's great you are 55 and retired so is my wifes dad, merchant marine engineer and only worked 3 months his entire career. I hope in 26 years when I'm 55 I'm retired too, but will still fish and get paid. There are plenty of careers better than fishing, some areas have more opportunity. I know plenty
    of guys that were making a lot of money as homebuilders, now they are out of work and over qualified for most jobs and have a family to support. Plus if you are busy enough, and smart with money you can pay your benefits and put away money for retirement. I'm sick so I hire a guide to run my boat, I go on vacation and do the same, so I'm still making money. There is money and opportunity in the fishing industry, you have to work at it. do what's best for you and your family. Duckmanjr I don't disagree with you, but a fishing career can be successful.
    Tarpon20 wrote: »
    Half of the fireman are part time guides.

Did you ever wonder why that is??...It's because they only work 10 days a month!...That's right..24 hours on and 48 hours off...and many places have Kelly days (an extra day off every 3 mo.... or in some dept more often!)
    They also have JOB STABILITY that banks like to see when you ask for 50K for that flats skiff...or more for that bigger boat.
    They also have nice benefit packages......the ones that have them retireing young and THEN...running a guide service or a charter boat.

Look Tarpon...I'm not trying to get in a peeing match with you. But this is obviously a young guy....and I have no idea about his family situation and why a dad or uncle hasn't given him " the talk"...for Iall I know he has...but kids always "know what they know"....It isn't till they get older that they say " *****, I can't believe that guy I went to high school with is retired...and I'm still getting up every morning breaking my ****"
    Hey, advise on a forum is worth just what you paid for it..NOTHING!....but at least the kid should hear the real deal about the big bad world.

There was some good advice...Go down to the docks in the afternoon and ask one of those mates if you can help clean that Big **** Buddy Davis or Merrit or Ocean...there is hours of clean up on boat and gear....and ask him some questions about his job (notice how I use job..not career)

Also, Not sure if you realize it...but YOU made my point....Plenty of tradesman on unemployment..... Get a CAREER in a medical field...or like your wifes dad...if you love being on the water..Merchant marine...or even Coast guard..they have lots of great career feilds that they will supply the training for.

Honestly, this is a no skin off my nose situation.....but it's key that you don't WASTE YOUR YOUTH.....

MAKE A PLAN...WORK YOUR PLAN!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    If you want to be a fishing mate, show up at the docks and don't go away, dawn to dusk, clean boats, whatever, just be there all the time. Opportunity often goes to the person who just happens to be around when someone needs a good man, better still if they (whoever 'they' is) know your a hard working, intelligent, sober type.

You can decide for yourself which camp you wish to raise your tent (Duckmans or Tarpon's), I see wisdom and folly in both, though not to equal degrees.
    dblazer wrote: »
    Duckmanjr, you sir are a loser! Good luck flatsjunkie, get out there and meet as many captains as you can!

Yeah, maybe you're right and have got it all figured out...I don't know...but tomorrow when I'm out on my skiff drinking my coffee....like I do every morning before sun up...I"ll ponder what you said....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Fritz wrote: »
    If you want to be a fishing mate, show up at the docks and don't go away, dawn to dusk, clean boats, whatever, just be there all the time. Opportunity often goes to the person who just happens to be around when someone needs a good man, better still if they (whoever 'they' is) know your a hard working, intelligent, sober type.

You can decide for yourself which camp you wish to raise your tent (Duckmans or Tarpon's), I see wisdom and folly in both, though not to equal degrees.

A well reasoned post with good information...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    dnaber wrote: »
    Duckmanjr, years from now those that called you names will think back and say "Duckmanjr really did understand life". As a young man in the military I had a supervisor who once told me that you should alway think about where you want to be in 10 years and drive yourself towards that goal. Flatsjunkie good luck in your career choices and in life.

No worries...I have extreemly thick skin so my feelings don't bruise easily.

As far as understanding life....Unfortunate that you have to live a good bit of it before you understand much about it....and generally, most have to pay for their knowledge rather than get it for free.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I do know the difference between a career and a job. When I say I am an electrician I dont mean I am a helper. I went through 8000 on the job training hours and 2000 in the classroom. I am one of the youngest in the country to finish the IBEW apprenticeship training. I became a licensed Journeyman Electrician when I was 21. Its just with the economy I am sure we will pick up work in a few years and I plan on doing electrical work the rest of my life until I retire ( which I started collecting 3 different retirement funds when I was 17 with my job).

I was just saying in the mean time until work picks up I wouldnt mind getting on a charter boat instead of sitting on my *** mooching off of unemployment and actually earning my money. Not to mention pick up on some good fishing advice along the way.
  • fizz shizzfizz shizz Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    X2 duckman. old saying "the older i get the smarter my parents get". in the years to come this will ring true.