Do you practice shooting from your knees?

publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
I don't...or didn't. Some of you know I've been hunting from the ground more and more each archery season either in natural veg ground blinds or slipping around. Alot of times you don't have the luxury of shooting from a standing position or even a chair inside a blind when you have to keep a really low profile. Every shot I've taken at deer from my knees has been under ten yards with little margin of error for shot placement until this week. I missed a big gobbler Tues am shooting from my knees at 25 yards then made a poor hit on a spike that evening also shooting from my knees but was thankfully able to recover the deer. I drove home pleased with my blood trailing ability in thick cover but knowing I got lucky and disgusted with my shooting.

So I didn't hunt yesterday morning...instead I slept in and practice shooting from my knees. At 30 yards my first group was 6 inches low. At twenty yards I shot two 6 inches low and two were dead on. Part of my problem is my bows draw length is too long for me so it takes extra effort and some over extending to hold it at FULL draw, but aside from that, shooting from your knees is far different and much less stable than shooting from a standing position or even from a seated position with your feet on the ground, especially if you have to hold for a while. So I suggest practicing it some if you hunt from the ground alot or even if you don't for that rare opportunity when you walk up on one walking back to the truck. That and get a bow that fits you and 80% let off has got to be great too.....can't wait to get a new bow.

Replies

• mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,309 Captain
    NOPE NEVER REALLY NEED TO
    living life as i like
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    draw length is your problem . The last 5 bucks I've taken with the bow have been stalking , from kneeling or being at an awkward position , so yes you have to practice from all positions you might encounter .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • James243James243 Posts: 767 Officer
    I do, my go to spot is seated on the ground, no chair. I practice fully seated on the ground and kneeling, but I don't have any trouble with my groups either way. My bow is short, 32 ATA with high letoff like you mentioned. Last year my only two deer were taken from this spot, first one I got to my knees as the deer approached- shot @20 yards. Second one went to my left so I stayed seated and shot it at 30 yards. I am familiar with the problems you mentioned though, same place with my older and longer bow a few years prior, I lost a nice buck because of (among other reasons) the dimensions of my bow.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Yes you should practice it and find what works for you I can say now that you need to get your bow fitted to your draw length why make it any harder on yourself than it already is
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    Doggy style?[/QUOTE/]

ha! you exceeded my expectations! I knew that was uh...coming....but I didn't think it would be the first response.

draw length is def an issue..but its never proven to be a major problem until this week. I have to shoot longer arrows but I shoot pretty good with it especially considering how little I practice....shoot fine standing up or seated but its harder to hold at full draw without my feet firmly planted on the ground.
    Yes you should practice it and find what works for you I can say now that you need to get your bow fitted to your draw length why make it any harder on yourself than it already is

bow is adjusted as short as it can...just havnt had the money for a new one. killed plenty with it...actually never missed except for a few turkeys at good distances and one deer that my arrow was deflected by some fennel
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    bow is adjusted as short as it can...just havnt had the money for a new one. killed plenty with it...actually never missed except for a few turkeys at good distances and one deer that my arrow was deflected by some fennel

How long is it? I've adjusted bows in the past by pulling the handle off and packing the inside of it with folded up strips of paper. I ended up having to use tape to hold the handle back in place but it worked to give me an extra half inch when the bow couldn't be adjusted any further. Plus I didn't lose any effective draw length so I didn't lose any speed.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    After last weekend, I need to practice at all angles imaginable

Here is one for you...Practice shooting sitting down in a ladder/climber (RH shooter) with a target slightly to your right, mabye 1-2 o'clock.
    That's a tough one. My right elbow hit the tree....on both shots that I missed
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    One has to be able to get down on one's knees to shoot from them!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    james 14 wrote: »
    How long is it? I've adjusted bows in the past by pulling the handle off and packing the inside of it with folded up strips of paper. I ended up having to use tape to hold the handle back in place but it worked to give me an extra half inch when the bow couldn't be adjusted any further. Plus I didn't lose any effective draw length so I didn't lose any speed.

thats a good idea....feel kinda tardish for not thinking of it myself.
  • blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    That and get a bow that fits you and 80% let off has got to be great too.....can't wait to get a new bow.

Start shooting a recurve. If you're gonna go indian style, do it with a traditional. 80% let off is like cheating.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Heard the Dade County jail was sponsoring a knee shoot......volunteers needed
  • smhsmh Posts: 273 Deckhand
    I practice kneeling shots. Sometimes an area I want to hunt just doesn't have any good trees for a treestand, so I opt to hunt from the ground and keep as low of a profile as I can.
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    I like to practice with at least 10 or more mosquitos slurping away on my blood while quietly hyperventilating and getting a quality shot off.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    I look like I'm doing yoga sometimes when I'm practicing.

Animals rarely present you with a picture perfect shooting opportunity.

It is up to you to be prepared and to make it happen.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.