Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Fresh Sign

Hoyt79Hoyt79 Posts: 105 Officer
Found a few fresh rubs and an active scrape today in Volusia Co. I put a camera near the scrape so Im keeping my fingers crossed that I get a nice buck to show up. Gonna sneak in on Friday and try to sit all day nearby.
What kind of sign(s) are yall seeing...if any?

Replies

• Hoyt79Hoyt79 Posts: 105 Officer
    BTW, I think my big buck "Boss" got poached or something. I havent seen him since July!
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Or maybe he is just off doing what bucks do in another piece of woods

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    We've lost some of our bucks on cam also. They're still there. Just changing patterns.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,405 Officer
    I haven't found a lot of scrapes yet, just a few little pawings, but seen a number of rubs the last 3-4 weeks. Same general lattitude and longitude.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,160 Moderator
    With the acorns falling the patterns have already changed from what you may have seen in July or so. I also found some scrapes opening day of bow season but they had been rained in. One of them had been pawed at a tad bit last weekend and I may actually hunt over that one due to it's location. I usually have better luck hunting elsewhere rather than right over a scrape.
  • Hoyt79Hoyt79 Posts: 105 Officer
    I hope you all are right and he just changed patterns. It just doesnt make alot of since to me. The bucks were still batchlored up in July and he was a regular on multiple cams with a particular buck. Still getting picks of the other buck but I havent caught Boss passing by any of the cams in 2 months.

Im gonna let the camera dictate whether I hang my climber over the scrape or not. If I dont have any bucks checking the scrape during mid day, I will back off and hunt another area close by.
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    I'd say there still around. Have watched bucks in the bino's for what seems like hours during Archery season then someone kills them during Muzzle Loader or Gun a couple miles away. They move more than we give them credit sometimes. Patience usually wins out.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Hoyt79 wrote: »
    I hope you all are right and he just changed patterns. It just doesnt make alot of since to me. The bucks were still batchlored up in July and he was a regular on multiple cams with a particular buck. Still getting picks of the other buck but I havent caught Boss passing by any of the cams in 2 months.

Im gonna let the camera dictate whether I hang my climber over the scrape or not. If I dont have any bucks checking the scrape during mid day, I will back off and hunt another area close by.

I wouldnt let a camera dictate what I do. Just go by your instincts. If you are checking a cam too much you will bump them out.

Btw 2 years ago i had a 9pt I watched all summer on camera. I had 2000 daylight pics of him. One of the few times I spent the season hunting a specific deer. He vanished mid archery season. I figures he got popped by the neighboring lease. In mid January he showed back for one cameo pic and was all busted up from fighting. Turns out later, another guy on the lease had him on cam in December 5 miles away.
    Ironically on that same lease we had three pics of a 7pt that was 18" wide. He was killed in a dog lease about 10 miles away 3 weeks after we had him on cam

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    AllenR wrote: »
    I wouldnt let a camera dictate what I do. Just go by your instincts. If you are checking a cam too much you will bump them out.

Btw 2 years ago i had a 9pt I watched all summer on camera. I had 2000 daylight pics of him. One of the few times I spent the season hunting a specific deer. He vanished mid archery season. I figures he got popped by the neighboring lease. In mid January he showed back for one cameo pic and was all busted up from fighting. Turns out later, another guy on the lease had him on cam in December 5 miles away.
    Ironically on that same lease we had three pics of a 7pt that was 18" wide. He was killed in a dog lease about 10 miles away 3 weeks after we had him on cam

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Don't get me wrong I Love to run all m trail cameras all through the year just to see what is around. But I have heard and seen several instances similar to these.
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif