Home General Paddle Craft

Kings off Playalinda?

rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
Has anybody here kayaked off Playalinda for kings? I was going to hit the south end of the lagoon Saturday morning, but after looking at the morning forcast it seems like a good day to try it.
I've never fished offshore in my kayak and want to try it, but don't feel comfortable trying it alone.
Anybody want to show me the ropes?
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Replies

• rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    I couldn't get anybody to go, so I decided to go myself at daybreak this morning.

I found bait pods everywhere and caught plenty of bait. Then, I caught shark after shark after shark. I don't think I have every seen that many sharks. Every bait pod was being anhialiated by them.

About 2 hours in, I finally thought I had a good fish on. It hit hard running fast and nearly spooled me. I had to tighten the drag and let it pull me around for 30 minutes. I finally felt it coming up so I could get a look at it; hoping to see a big king and It ended up being a 6'+ shark. I had it next to the kayak trying to get a good picture so I could ID it, but it thrashed around and broke off before I could get my phone out to take a picture. It was a very thick shark, even back towards the tail.

I trolled out and back in with a diving lure and a silver spoon. The spoon had one good hit on the way out, but I lost the fish in just a couple minutes. I didn't bring anything home, but I had a great time.

offshorekayak1.jpg
    offshorekayak2.jpg
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!