Home Conservation Front

SHORTS......................................

Went fishing on Saturday....
Fantastic day..no too hot....not too windy....and no rain in sight....

So headed west with good baits to 60 feet (it was a quickie)

Every boat down produced fish....red groupers and gags....now I am not exaggerating here....we had 24 baits and we caught 21 grouper...
All between 14 and 19 inches...not a keeper in the bunch...

Now...
A sub 12 inch grouper is about 1 to 1 1/2 years old....then between the ages of 2 and 5 they grow about a half an inch per month....

Based on this and the activity we saw on the screen.....I can predict that the next 2 seasons will see an abundance of gag and red groupers....

IN spite of what NMFS says...sometimes it is more important what you don't bring home as opposed to what you bring home
National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    Had a similar trip a few weeks ago @ night pulled up over 200 short yellowtail snapper in maybe a 2 hour time period only 2 keepers out of the whole group. It was insane every bait down caught a yellowtail between 7 to 10th inches.

Time enjoyed wasted usually means I've been fishing
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,526 Captain
    short red grouper are more plentiful than pinfish on the flats - thats no joke, figure out how long it takes to catch pins for bait vs 12 short reds
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    So why didn't y'all move off them shorts??? Why stress all those fish?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    So why didn't y'all move off them shorts??? Why stress all those fish?

Well for me we were working a ledge that had real good show...and we only took a couple dozen baits so we knew it was a quick 1 stop trip.
    There were bigger fish there....just couldn't get baits passed the smaller ones for and eat....

IT was shallow...I doubt the had all that much stress.

Hey..at least we didn't butterfly them up and use them maggots for bait....huh~!
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    Well for me we were working a ledge that had real good show...and we only took a couple dozen baits so we knew it was a quick 1 stop trip.
    There were bigger fish there....just couldn't get baits passed the smaller ones for and eat....

IT was shallow...I doubt the had all that much stress.

Hey..at least we didn't butterfly them up and use them maggots for bait....huh~!
    I never did either, though I did give grunts a haircut and send them back.
    Most of the bandit fleet is having to go a lot deeper for keeper reds after Debbie.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Good for you Art, I always give a pinfish a little "haircut" before sending them down(even inshore).
    Seems to induce a lot more action.
    Usually just take the pliers and break the fins over.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Good for you Art, I always give a pinfish a little "haircut" before sending them down(even inshore).
    Seems to induce a lot more action.
    Usually just take the pliers and break the fins over.
    Yes it do....
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    Went fishing on Saturday....
    Fantastic day..no too hot....not too windy....and no rain in sight....

So headed west with good baits to 60 feet (it was a quickie)

Every boat down produced fish....red groupers and gags....now I am not exaggerating here....we had 24 baits and we caught 21 grouper...
    All between 14 and 19 inches...not a keeper in the bunch...

Now...
    A sub 12 inch grouper is about 1 to 1 1/2 years old....then between the ages of 2 and 5 they grow about a half an inch per month....

Based on this and the activity we saw on the screen.....I can predict that the next 2 seasons will see an abundance of gag and red groupers....

IN spite of what NMFS says...sometimes it is more important what you don't bring home as opposed to what you bring home

Been hearing the same story for 8+ years, "with all these shorts next year will be great". Then NMFS says that is a sure sign of a fishery that is being over fished. As soon as they get to be keeper size they are pulled out. As stated above, probably has more to do with location and time of year. Go deeper.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers