Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boynton 7/26 - Cuda, Cuda, Cuda...and King

After convincing my son that our new little whaler isn't the boat to take our guest out on today, we left the dock around 7:30am and cleared the inlet by 8am. To my surprise, the water was clear, clean and weed-free outside 80'. Lines were in and started trolling between 100' and 400' northbound. 8:30am in about 200' - wham - short port rigger with a skirted ballyhoo has fish on. Cuda! 9:15am in about 300' long port rigger goes off - bonito strip with pink popper. Cuda. 10am in about 250' short starboard rigger with green/yellow feathers goes off. Cuda. :hairraiser We had 6 cudas by noon not including the 2 cutoffs. They were hitting everything. At least our out of town guest and my son were happy pulling them in....

cuda1.jpg

Not exactly what I was looking for. I turned back heading south towards the inlet, having decided to call it a day, then the planer trips, and finally something we can take home :)

king.jpg

There were very few signs of life - only a handful of fliers. At least we didn't spend the day cleaning our lines and we had some bent rods!

Replies

• BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 607 Officer
    Nice post and pix. My son is after a Cuda....so it's out and after them later this week! Thanks for the post.
  • Sea EraSea Era Posts: 491 Officer
    Smiling faces, bent rods and dinner can't beat it.
  • jah sonjah son Posts: 236 Officer
    Looks like fun!

Have you tried eating 'Cudas? If not, try a small one. I like them a lot better than kings.
    Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    "Have you tried eating 'Cudas? If not, try a small one. I like them a lot better than kings."

I have ... by accident .... long strory.... newbie error :-) and it was good. But once I realized my error, couldn't sleep all night! Not worth it I think since the kids partake in most fish meals - like this load of dip I made today out of yesterday's king.

dip.jpg
    BocaBoca wrote: »
    Nice post and pix. My son is after a Cuda....so it's out and after them later this week! Thanks for the post.

Typically if I have a guest in town and we're in danger of getting skunked, I troll ballyhoo over the shallow reefs and wreck south of the inlet and that normally produces one or two. But 6 in the boat at different depths tearing up whatever we offered???????
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    jah son wrote: »
    Looks like fun!

Have you tried eating 'Cudas? If not, try a small one. I like them a lot better than kings.

I know a few people that will eat them as long as its smaller cuda, in the bahamas they eat them all time, in fact a lot of captains bring a couple back for the locals. They seem to love them.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
    flvol77 wrote: »
    I know a few people that will eat them as long as its smaller cuda, in the bahamas they eat them all time, in fact a lot of captains bring a couple back for the locals. They seem to love them.

Right. I sometimes give them to one of the charter capt at Boynton. There's a fish market that buys them. They sell to "islanders".
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    jah son wrote: »
    Looks like fun!

From what I have read not only on this forum but others like the hull truth, I personally would stay away from the cudas regardless of size due to Ciguatera poisoning. :stinkfish

The symptoms (which there is no cure for) may or may not eventually subside but people have been misdiagnosed from MS to fibromyalgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

I guess if you are confident.. go for it. :grin

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Eat a Cuda? I don't think I would ever eat a cuda. :puke I would probably be the one that gets ciguatera poisoning...and please don't say it tastes like chicken
    I'm with you Eric. Not worth the risk. But come to think about it other reef fish carry the toxins as well - snapper, grouper etc.... is it more prevalent in cuda or stronger??? Anyone knows?