Home Photography Corner

Interesting article on RAW

I found this article while looking for something else. I learned a bunch reading it. As some of you know I am a comparatively recent migrator to digital. So I am still learning - actually I hope I never stop learning. Anyway, I found it interesting so I thought I would share.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,563 Captain
    "Holey Molely" that stuff is deep ! but some good food for thought.
    Giimoozaabi
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig....
    it was a good and informative read...i read it twice and also jumped to some of his links that were also interesting....
    the histogram lesson is pretty good and as he said...use the color slide exposure as a guide...
    i learned early on that digital and slide film exposure concepts are quite close....

here's an example....
    IMG_1296RAW.jpg
    not much there...and if you look at the exif file you'll see i was literally shooting into the dark...

IMG_1296pp.jpg
    this image was salvaged just using the standard canon editing software.....
    these are the same images...

had it been the opposite with blownout highs...the image would have been toast....
    goes to show that raw, even grossly underexposed, is the way to go...there's enough data there to "fix" the image...put it through cs4 and there'd be even more to work with....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,378 AG
    Craig....
    it was a good and informative read...i read it twice and also jumped to some of his links that were also interesting....
    the histogram lesson is pretty good and as he said...use the color slide exposure as a guide...
    i learned early on that digital and slide film exposure concepts are quite close....

here's an example....
    IMG_1296RAW.jpg
    not much there...and if you look at the exif file you'll see i was literally shooting into the dark...

IMG_1296pp.jpg
    this image was salvaged just using the standard canon editing software.....
    these are the same images...

had it been the opposite with blownout highs...the image would have been toast....
    goes to show that raw, even grossly underexposed, is the way to go...there's enough data there to "fix" the image...put it through cs4 and there'd be even more to work with....

tim

So the original shot is RAW?? Looks like some of my night Football game images, although I never used RAW and fixed them with standard Photoshop editing.

Mac_1296RAW_filtered_filtered.jpg

Using PS 7 and Neat Image
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield