Home Conservation Front

Charter Fisherman's Association Letter

Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,594 Captain
Here's a link to the letter sent by the Executive Director of the Charter Fisherman's Association fighting to reinstate the funding for Catch Shares;

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101081533671-632/20110630CFAGulfLettertoDC.pdf%20

Charter Fishermen's Association Executive Director Michael Miglini is a perfect example of how the EDF-funded Commercial IFQ people are pushing for Catch Shares in the recreational sector so that they can PERSONALLY PROFIT even more from our public trust resource. It has absolutely nothing to do with helping the fisheries...only helping their checking account.

The Charter Fishermen's Association is nothing more than a shell organization formed by the EDF-funded SOS people to falsely paint the picture that recreational captains want Catch Shares in the Gulf. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Here's a listing of COMMERCIAL IFQ SHARE HOLDERS;
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/foia/HTML/IFQShareholders.htm

You will see that Miglini "owns" every possible type of commercial IFQ available, yet is presenting himself, as Executive Director of the CHARTER FISHERMEN'S ASSOCIATION, as a recreational CFH captain pushing for catch shares to supposedly help the fisheries. You will notice that he makes no mention of his ownership of commercial IFQs to the maximum extent possible in his letter. SOS leader Gary Jarvis is also listed but it shows no IFQ ownership - interesting.

Miglini owns IFQs for;

Deep Water Grouper
Red Grouper
Gag Grouper
Other Shallow Water Grouper
Tilefish
Red Snapper

If there is not a better example of the flagrant **** of our public trust resource by these EDF-funded captains for their own personal profit, I don't know what that could be.

Sleazy and dishonest, to say the least.

Also interesting to note that these same guys (SOS Plan, now CHARTER FISHERMAN'S ASSOCIATION) repeatedly claimed in the past on this site that sector separation had NOTHING to do with Catch Shares.

Now that funding has been cut for Catch Shares, it is these same guys who are fighting hard to reinstate the funding.

Liars? You make the call.

Hypocrites? Again, you make the call.

In any case, these guys have been disingenuous from the start regarding their claims and justification for Sector Separation / Catch Shares, and that is becoming more and more evident every day.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 9,165 Admiral
    Wow, that ought to be crime.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,594 Captain
    A representor may make a statement which prima facie may be technically true; however this may tell only half the story. If a statement of fact is made but the representor fails to include information which would significantly alter the interpretation of this fact, then a misrepresentation may have occurred.

You make the call - was Miglini misrepresenting how he and others would materially benefit from Catch Shares? One component of Catch Shares would be inter-sector trading, where the commercial/recreational sectors could sell, lease or trade their shares between each other.

By not disclosing all of the information regarding his substantial commercial investment in IFQs, I personally believe that the letter sent was highly misleading, possibly with legal consequences.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,594 Captain
    Miglini is the owner of at least TWO other business enterprises listed in that shareholder’s listing at NOAA as having an IFQ User ID, South Atlantic Fishing, INC. (IFQ User ID: SATL9600) & Great Sage, Inc. (IFQ User ID: GREA7357) Miglini is also associated with other corporations called South Atlantic Grouper, Inc., and Decent Seas, LLC (a Florida Corp).

It is apparent that this guy is up to his ears in the commercial side yet still tries to portray himself as a recreational CFH captain.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • Fishin Blue WaterFishin Blue Water Posts: 219 Deckhand
    I am pretty sick of professional fishermen - both commercial and for hire - being driven by pure greed. If they truly care about the fish stocks they would not commoditize the fishery. If they want IFQs, catch shares, etc. fine. But they should not be able to sell or lease their shares and the shares should be put back into a pot where there is a lottery for their quota once they leave the fishery. They could trade them or give them away but not be allowed to sell or lease them. Once they say that they will do that I will listen to what they have to say.

Brian
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,156 AG
    That would defeat the purpose of those pushing the agenda.
    I'll go you one better, how about if and when this BS gets pushed thru it is worded that the owner of the catch shares must fish them or their allotment goes back to the recs.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Fishin Blue WaterFishin Blue Water Posts: 219 Deckhand
    My biggest gripe with the quota system, by whatever name you want to call it, is that it is exclusionary to people who want to enter the industry. Can you imagine telling your child "You can be anything you want when you grow up. Well, anything but a fisherman because I don't have any quota and all of the charter and commercial quota is now in generation skipping trusts." Not to get too cheesy, but this is getting to the point of being unamerican.

With that being said, I have plenty of other gripes, too.

Brian
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    Been saying that since the day they came out with this crap. Use it or lose it back to be re-allotted or give it back but no sale or lease.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • snake 166snake 166 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Talked to the owner of the local fish market. He didn't qualify for catch shares. But at a going rate of $26/lb plenty of share holders were turned into instant millionaires. Not many can now afford to buy their way in.

I agree that this is not fair economically, morally or legally. The concept is failing. All of the effort that went toward moving the snapper population toward larger and more reproductively viable specimens is being reversed by the commercial fleet that has no market for bigger fish. Big fish desired by the recreational angler are bycatch for the commercial fleet.
  • Steve WSteve W Posts: 613 Officer
    Seems similar to the commodity market.