Home General Hunting

Shot placement... my only archery kill last year

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
After all the ethical / non-ethical talk...

This guy was walking pretty much straight away and I was in a 12' ladder.

Put the arrow right where it needed to go. No meat, no guts, complete pass through. Deer was on the small side, but he still only went about 30 yards.

The going in shot looks farther forward than it really is due to the deer's hind legs being stretched out. Arrow really went in just a little bit forward of his back left rump.

Goin' in...
handsome4.jpg?t=1311963506

Comin' out
handsome3.jpg?t=1311963836

It was after this shot, that about a week later I went for that doe that wouldn't stop at about 35 yards. I was a bit cocky. Only one I've ever really boogered up, and I'll never again try that again.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,012 Officer
    nice shot!

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Well done for such a hard angle. No wonder you thought you were mistake proof!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    Yeah... the pictured deer is the one I was talking about in that one thread... the one that had me all pumped up and feeling like I could do no wrong.

Like I said, nothing wrong with pushing the envelope, just know that the more you push it, the greater and greater the liklihood of a mistake becomes. ESPECIALLY when you mistake cockiness with confidence. I was cocky on that doe a week later, not confident.

EDIT: Oh, and while I"m still not sold on the Rage 2 blades... in at least one case (see above), the blade deployed and there was no problem with penetration on a steep angle.

Pretty sure I'm done with them, though. Actually I know I am. If for no other reason that the price. I have one pack that I bought at a local store here that had the super-old school blades that didn't have much recess in them to grab the O-ring. Well, I shot all three of them, picked up a pack of replacement blades at BPS and the little gnarled pin didn't fit my broadhead. Can't remember what the next purchase was, but I some how ended up with non-compatible Rage stuff in packages totaling THREE. Local shop here, BPS in Destin and BPS in Orlando.

I finally said enough is enough. I killed a two coons and a deer with one pack of $!!!! Rage two blades and I have more parts laying on my bench now than I do On-Time Feeder parts in the back of my truck.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    IMHO I don't think there is anything wrong with the rage head design , its the durability and material used I'm not impressed with.
    I don't have faith in broadheads built with aluminum or cast metals..Kinda like fishing ,use what you have confidence in.

but I also keep it in my head that Indians killed animals for many ,many, many years with sticks strings and rocks.

just my 2 cents.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,386 Officer
    I'm surprised he made it 30 yards with that hit unless he was skiddin for 20 of it.

Nice shootin'.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • jrb651jrb651 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I found that rage, upon reloading after shooting an animal, fit very loosely in the "ready" position. I was scared of premature deployment (as in all facets of my life :Spittingcoffee). I switched to the "tricks" and will shoot them forever!!!!!!
    Have you ever seen a Georgia sunset...across the cool october sky?
    hue2-1.jpgclick image to see what it's all about!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    lookin wrote: »
    I'm surprised he made it 30 yards with that hit unless he was skiddin for 20 of it.

Nice shootin'.

I say thirty yards... I don't know. It may not have been. He ran into some planted pines with thick underbrush... I lost sight of him within a few bodylenghts into the trees. Heard him head east as he ran and it sounded like he crossed maybe two rows of trees, then I heard him fall, thrash, silence. Didn't even bother tracking.

Went to arrow in row where he walked in, went east two rows, and started making my way down that row and found him piled up in short order.

Cool thing about planted pines is that they can be very helpful. Two years ago I shoot a deer with my bow and he went same direction as this guy, but a LOT farther. Could not find him that night. Went back next morning and found started at what I figured was the eastern-most row he could have possibly ended up on. Walked it about 200 yards, came two rows to the west, walked it back to the trail i was hunting, 2 rows west, walked it about 200 yards, and finally found him.

Those planted trees (if the undergrowth isn't too thick) make great search grids!
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    [QUOTE=Panhandler80;94903
    Those planted trees (if the undergrowth isn't too thick) make great search grids![/QUOTE]

Agreed... I had to find a wounded turkey a couple of years ago and the rows helped out big time!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do