Tropcial Storm Isaac Fishing...

As Tropcial Storm Isaac began approaching south Florida we (Alfred, Ralph, and myself) decided it would be the perfect time to try for freshwater tarpon and snakeheads...Around 1pm on Saturday we stopped by a local lake that is loaded with mullet and within 30 minutes had over a dozen...Driving 5 minutes down the street, we stopped at a pump house, where we were welcomed by 25-75 lb tarpon rolling everywhere...20 minutes in, we had 3 massive blow-ups but no hook-ups :huh 15 minutes later the pump turned off, the water stopped flowing, and the bite shut down...So we packed up the car and began driving north...

After a 15 minute drive to Tamarac, we got to our first snakehead location...Working both banks, we quickly hooked up to 2 nice 'heads, including this 5 lb beauty :)

From there we drove down the street to a second spot...Working the shorelines we were pleasantly surprised by peacocks...Peacocks and snakeheads coexisting in the same waters??? YES INDEED! And even better, we got a double :cool:

After getting a double on peas and cobras, Alfred and Ralph then got a double on peas...

As usual, the large mouth bass were out in full force...Here's just one of five caught...

All in all, a great day of fishing...Now time to hunker down and ride out the rain and winds as Isaac makes its way across south Florida...

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,548 Moderator
    Good catchin' guys.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Captain Shane ProcellCaptain Shane Procell Posts: 371 Officer
    Pretty cool to see such a diverse fishery in Broward. I love the fight and table fare of the snakehead.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Nice !!!
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 653 Officer
  • snappersnatchersnappersnatcher Posts: 134 Officer
    poor things!!!! let those sneak head go next time you catch him he might be ten lbs then you got a fight...
    nice fish by the way....
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    poor things!!!! let those sneak head go next time you catch him he might be ten lbs then you got a fight...

Let those snakehead go and we will have an invasive fish populating our waters.
    Well just like the peacock bass but no one Kill them because they fight good . Same with snakeheads they fight way better I rather catch them instead of bass but that's just me I guess.
  • Reel-DealReel-Deal Posts: 86 Deckhand
    There are a countless number of invasive species here in south Florida, two of which are the peacock bass and bullseye snakehead...Yet if you remember correctly, the peacocks were imported here in the early 80's to help eliminate the non-native species humans were dumping in the water systems...Well needless to say, that didn't work...Peacocks will be around forever simply because they are a prize catch and are beautiful in appearance...

As for the snakehead, I truly believe that they get their bad rep all because of the way River Monsters and other media have portrayed them...We can sit and debate the pros and cons all day long, but for me, it's all catch and release...
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Reel-Deal wrote: »
    There are a countless number of invasive species here in south Florida, two of which are the peacock bass and bullseye snakehead...Yet if you remember correctly, the peacocks were imported here in the early 80's to help eliminate the non-native species humans were dumping in the water systems...Well needless to say, that didn't work...Peacocks will be around forever simply because they are a prize catch and are beautiful in appearance...

As for the snakehead, I truly believe that they get their bad rep all because of the way River Monsters and other media have portrayed them...We can sit and debate the pros and cons all day long, but for me, it's all catch and release...

Hmmm....very interesting. Years ago I bought into the hysteria that snakeheads would kill anything and everything in the water and was concerned they'd spread further north... im not so sure now and havent heard as much about them lately. Have you noticed a significant decline in largemouth bass populations in your area?
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • Reel-DealReel-Deal Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Hmmm....very interesting. Years ago I bought into the hysteria that snakeheads would kill anything and everything in the water and was concerned they'd spread further north... im not so sure now and havent heard as much about them lately. Have you noticed a significant decline in largemouth bass populations in your area?

Initially, I bought in to the hype as well...Then about a year ago I met and became friends with one of the top snakehead guides in south Florida...He taught me everything there is to know about the species...

Every body of water we've fished, targeting the snakeheads, we see a ton of bait and more importantly a ton of bass...In fact, a typical afternoon/evening of snakehead fishing usually lands of twice as many large mouth as snakeheads...

Here's an example...One week I fished a lake on a golf course and in two hours caught 5 'heads and 2 LMs...A few weeks later, I took a client there and he got skunked on 'heads but caught 18 LMs...That's right, 18!
  • flaswimbaiterflaswimbaiter Posts: 123 Officer
    I have found that the LM are a lot healthier in snakehead water than coexisting with peas. *I believe it is because snakeheads really dont compete with the LM directly whereas the peas do. *Its amazing how people change once they learn the facts instead of giving into hype. * Catch and release!!!!
  • sepaiksepaik Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Reel-Deal wrote: »

Way to go man. The snakeheads have been around now for at least 10 years and despite the bad rap are co-existing with the Peacocks, Myans, Oscars and Yes, even the largemouths. They are not destroying the eco-system. If anything they provide food for the other predators by the thousands of fry they lay. These things are timid and spooke easily and don't hit as easily as the Peacock or especially the aggressive Largemouths.
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    I have found that the LM are a lot healthier in snakehead water than coexisting with peas. *I believe it is because snakeheads really dont compete with the LM directly whereas the peas do. *Its amazing how people change once they learn the facts instead of giving into hype. * Catch and release!!!!

Yeah but hey they were having snakehead killing tournaments a few years ago down there! And i respect the FWC's opinion. But Im f%#@in pissed about all the blue tilapia in the waters around me. Ponds that had very few of them 6 months ago are chocked full. I just hope they don't overpopulate too much...they breed year-round
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
    yeah those things suck!!!! The only thing they are good for is snook fishing.