The noise will take some getting used to....

Riding in front of a four stroke for 2 years will spoil you....

I'm so paranoid about everything it's not even funny. Every noise, every bump, but the bilge stayed dry as a bone today.

Took the boat out about 9:45 and hit the end of the no-wake. Throttled up and was on plane shortly there after. Ran to the east end of Dog Island across the bay...1 foot chop, no issues.

When we got close to the end of the Dog, it started to get a little messier and chopped up to about 2 feet. Rounded the island and headed to a number I've got in 35 feet. Here's where it got strange. I've been in washing machine seas before, but this takes the cake. I was running into 2-3 foot rollers running north/south and about a 2 foot wind chop running roughly east/west. It was just nasty.

Managed to boat a few of the usual supsects when my buddy Joel started grunting. I put my rod in the holder to see what was up and he was pinned. After a short time I saw the leader and then he said "GODAMIGHTY!" and I saw some copper colored flashes and a big roll at the surface. Then I saw exactly what he had. It was one of those offshore reds we get into occasionally. I looked back at my rod, saw the tip snap down just a little and the line went slack. I thought it was a king hit so I picked up and started to reel it in. BANG! My turn. I got mine up and in the boat and it was the biggest I've ever caught. HAd to be 20 pounds or better. About 35-36 inches long and almost as big around as my thigh. I figured Joel's at about 12 lbs.

Not long after that, I felt like I was about to let fly a technicolor yawn. I didn't medicate at all this morning because I thought we would be fine and I was really excited to get the boat in the water. I guess it slipped my mind.

Motor ran great and with current prop setup it looks like 3800-4000 is a good cruise range.

More after an offshore trip tomorrow. Hopefully with lots of grouper and other assorted fishes in the pictures.
Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Set out thur cut in a 20' footer - bit sporty but not real problem. Nothing to show for the 44 mile round trip but a very nice flounder at 60' and trout- 60' of water trout. Went to 75' - could not buy a fish, found fish at 60' - nothing to post about. Having a hard time finding bait- frozen stuff ain't cutting.
    I will be there tomorrow- think I will try a hard bottom area.

Big redfish- If you want a big redfish- come over and do the cut in October - it stacks up with over slot fish (and guides)
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I'm glad all went smoothly. I hope the etec turns out to be as reliable as the 4 stroke was.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Glad the motor ran well.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • Tide-DancerTide-Dancer Posts: 1,347 Officer
    Not long after that, I felt like I was about to let fly a technicolor yawn. I didn't medicate at all this morning because I thought we would be fine and I was really excited to get the boat in the water. I guess it slipped my mind.

RIFLMAO!! Never heard that one before. But I have been there too. Good to hear the OC is up and running.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,742 Captain
    It was a good weekend to be aboard Off Campus. While grouper and other "fancy" fish didn't come aboard, we got plenty to eat and had a great time doing it. Also discovered some new territory that will, no doubt, produce when the weather cools a bit.

Spent all day Saturday looking around for new stuff and found some MARVELOUS looking bottom and structure in areas that I'd never been before. Had two good guys on the boat with me. Ranaman and my friend Joel from home. Joel is mentioned in the original post. He'd never really fished offshore before so this was a great way to break him in. One of the numbers we found that looked so good produced this...

He had a blast catching it and it was a see saw battle for a bit. When I saw what it was, my statement was "Oh man, you're gonna be so pi$$ed..." He said he didn't care a bit, that it was just fun.

After spending that day out and about, we were spent for Saturday evening. Early to bed and no alarms for Sunday.

We went out Sunday about 10 and were surprised to find jello seas and no wind at all once we passed Dog Island. I took Joel to a prime grunt and seabass number and we proceeded to fill the cooler. Caught a couple just short red grouper and a guitar fish as well as several porgies.

All in all I'd say the ETEC is going to be a good investment although I was used to about 2.25 mpg with the 4 stroke, we managed about 1.7 with the ETEC.

Good fishing to all.
    Good deal Rick...
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,975 Captain
    Guitar fish =???
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • Knot Working NowKnot Working Now Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Thanks for posting. Glad the Etec served you well.
    Brad, would you be kind enough to explain the difference in the power curves of the 2=stroke and the 4-stroke since you now have owned and operated both?
  • Dial ToneDial Tone Posts: 177 Deckhand
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Brad, would you be kind enough to explain the difference in the power curves of the 2=stroke and the 4-stroke since you now have owned and operated both?

.5 mpg diff. That would be considered significant. Does the weight diff make OC sit higher in the water? Do you still have those ping pong ball style scuppers...? Still considering replacing my E-rude but do not use it much. Less than 500 hrs on original motor .... 12 plus years old. (last year before Etec)
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 607 Officer
    Glad you're back on the water Brad. Hope the new motor treats you
    well for a long time.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg

like to hear this myself...both great motors!
  • Nat-LightNat-Light Posts: 451 Deckhand

I was waiting for that one. :rotflmao
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Carman....where are you?

not Carman, but the out of the hole shot supposedly goes to the 2 banger with MPG going to the 4

In saying that, my first and only 4 banger 200 has been better in both Depts over all other non-Etec 2 bangers Iv'e owned...maybe the fuel injection, not sure but my 4 banger I am convinced will pull a house out of the hole, I saw her get me back to the ramp with a completely flooded Hull without missing a beat...I call that low end torque myself, just pure badaceness!

Not to mention crazy quiet!!!

You can tell I like my Yammahawg, one fine piece of engineering IMHO. My neighbor just got a new 115, he LOVES that motor!!!
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,024 Officer
    My new Yammy 150 4 stroke is super quiet and efficient. However, out of the hole, doesn't seem as good as a two stroke. But, it will push the 20 foot Tidewater up to 47 MPH at 5700 RPM - may get to 50 MPH trimmed out right. Putting trim tabs on it now just to make the ride a bit smoother in the chop and to help trim boat out faster when full of fuel, two adults in back and full live well.
  • max kirklandmax kirkland Posts: 2,127 Officer
    will the sob go..thats all I want to know
    It'll go Max. It'll try to jump out from under you.

Dew, happy to oblige....

The 2-stroke gets up on the torque curve quicker just because it's a two stroke. The 4-stroke has to be cammed differently so it will turn the same RPM and make designated HP at higher RPM.

Dew, happy to oblige....

The 2-stroke gets up on the torque curve quicker just because it's a two stroke. The 4-stroke has to be cammed differently so it will turn the same RPM and make designated HP at higher RPM.

Winner!!! Winner!!!! CHICKEN DINNER!!!
    :banana

Dew, happy to oblige....

hows the extra HP???
    Extra HP is likely part of the reason for the decreased fuel mileage. It's good to know the power is there if it's needed.
  • ranamanranaman Posts: 319 Officer
    Enjoyed it Brad Lets do it again in DEEP water now we know she'll scream! I drove the boat part of the day and sure was impressed at cruise speed related to RPM and man if you wern't paying attention OC wanted to GO! ran a couple time over 36 mph and only 4200-4300 RPMs I really didn't mind the noise at cruise it was still very easy to have a conversation in front seats. Joel was a trooper and blast to fish with! -Joe
    ranaman wrote: »
    Enjoyed it Brad Lets do it again in DEEP water now we know she'll scream! I drove the boat part of the day and sure was impressed at cruise speed related to RPM and man if you wern't paying attention OC wanted to GO! ran a couple time over 36 mph and only 4200-4300 RPMs I really didn't mind the noise at cruise it was still very easy to have a conversation in front seats. Joel was a trooper and blast to fish with! -Joe

Max will be very happy...
    letz roll its scamp time....

531135_3458857274973_2111796548_n.jpg
    be a player..BIG LIVE SHRIMP!