Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boynton 7-23 New boat and new fish!

I've been away for four weeks and have been dying to go fishing. I had been wanting to buy a small boat - you see I never say no to fishing - 4-5 times a week - especially when my kids want to come along. But when it's rough out and my son pleads to go fishing in the ICW, it's not easy in a 30-fter and the dock out back just isn't good enough sometimes... That's the excuse I needed to get a small boat. So the search began, and we zeroed in on a 15ft Whaler thinking it will last long enough for the kids to take it on their own when they grow up. After 2 close calls (missed by 2-3 hours - those things sell like hot cakes), I found a 2009 Montauk 150 in NJ with 80 hrs and bought it. I had a friend up there check it out. 60 hp Merc 4-stroke big foot with extended warranty thru 2016. Finally got back in town and took delivery. Needless to say my son couldn't wait to get on board ... while it was still on the truck...

onthetruck1.jpg

Pulled it home and parked in the driveway for a couple of days. The kids washed it a few times and "drove" it to their favorite fishing spots while I was getting a floating drive-on dock put in....

inthedriveway1.jpg

justgothome1.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Of course, we named her after the kids...

SJ.jpg

keychain1.jpg

It was ready on Friday for its maiden voyage, so my son and I brought it to the dock...

maiden1.jpg

....picked up his sister and went out to give it a try - of course she brought along her new "pink" fishing rod so her brother could break it in....

SKcapt.jpg

Oh yes, this forum is about fishing :fishing

.... finally my son and I got a chance to get in a couple of hours of serious fishing yesterday afternoon on the new rig - got out around 5pm wanting to find some snook - we were planning to fish around the bridges etc... made our way to the inlet and decided to put a couple of baits in the water inside the inlet. A few minutes later, line was stripping off the reel, and surprise, suprise, what did we have???

bonefish.jpg

A nice little bonefish - catch and release only after 7/1/11. That was our first ever bonefish and our first fish on the new boat.

Replies