My 24 Year Old Son Has Hypogonadisim.(Low Testosterone) May Want To Read This......

AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,045 Captain
He always felt tired, aches and pains, headache, no motivation, some depression for a few years, weight gain etc. I made him an appointment with the doctor and the doc figured it out before any tests. I was fearing the worst but the test revealed his testosterone level was 200. Normal is in the high 600's. My 28 year old son is 280 and mine is 250. Must run in the family. Don't get the wrong idea. We are all 6'2 250 plus large frame well built males, but that is deceiving.

Point is, if you feel run down at any age and lack motivation you should get your testosterone checked. A lot of people don't realize there may be a reason for feeling like crap. My son is thrilled there is a reason and a cure. My older son is now up to 850 with therapy. Benches 300, squats 550 and feels great with lots of energy. I'm next!
«1

Replies

  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,285 AG
    It's quite common, actually.
    Warning Level 2
  • Spotsgonefishn'Spotsgonefishn' Posts: 225 Officer
    Doctor said I have low T as well (not sure how low) and prescribed a treatment for it. The catch is, once you start taking testosterone meds, rubs, shots your body stops making its own. At least this is what I've read and been told by other medical professionals I talked with. With hopefully at least another 40 years of life left (I'm 41) a really don't want to get started taking something that I'll need to continue taking for the next half of my life. Currently I'm looking into a few different natural supplements to help the body produce more on its own. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
    "From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." -St Arnold of Metz
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,045 Captain
    Doctor said I have low T as well (not sure how low) and prescribed a treatment for it. The catch is, once you start taking testosterone meds, rubs, shots your body stops making its own. At least this is what I've read and been told by other medical professionals I talked with. With hopefully at least another 40 years of life left (I'm 41) a really don't want to get started taking something that I'll need to continue taking for the next half of my life. Currently I'm looking into a few different natural supplements to help the body produce more on its own. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

    I see your point and agree, depending on your actual number. I was reading on the web a guy posting he was concerned about his low T and was asking for advice on a forum. He got lots of advice to help him out. His T # was 469. What? 469 is great compared to 200. So it depends. If it is so low it is causing problems, treatment may be necessary.
  • GJBenn85GJBenn85 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    ..
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,723 Captain
    Hormone therapy scares the crap out of me. I'm of the belief that their is a reason that hormone levels decrease with age and artificially boosting them is playing with fire. In the past year a family member, who has done hormone therapy for years, just had cancerous tumors removed. Doctor said to knock of the hormones.

    Somehow treatment for "Low T" has become the latest fad for solving all your ills. Nobody seems to point out that it's taking the same steroids that are banned for athletes because of health concerns.

    I'm not saying it's not appropriate for some people but when I hear radio commercials promoting it I get very suspicious. Not picking at AC Man's kid, but when I read "the doctor diagnosed before any tests" it makes me believe he was predisposed to a specific diagnosis. That's not good medicine in my book.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    I blame the internet
    169304.GIF
  • SaltydawgSaltydawg Posts: 1,283 Officer
    I agree it scares me. I have a friend in his forties with inoperable pancreatic cancer that was attributed to him taking that stuff.

    If you have a history of cancer, definitely stay off it.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,206 Admiral
    It doesn't give you cancer, but it could help cancer cells grow....you just have to have everything checked. But the alternative to not helping your low T is the long term health effects that go with not treating...like diabetes for one.
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,740 Captain
    Have there been any legitimate long-term studies on the effects of Testosterone replacement? Didn't they begin wildly prescribing estrogen to females 40 or 50 years ago only to learn there were many downsides to it?

    Also, can't testosterone levels be boosted by rigorous exercise? Specifically, lower body exercise? Just something that I'd heard around the water cooler ;)
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
  • snookerhookersnookerhooker Posts: 530 Officer
    High levels of testosterone for a given age can lead to many other complications. While its true that lower levels of T diminish energy or desire, those traits can be achieved naturally through proper eating and exercise. It takes a little more will power and energy to do it naturally. An increase above normal levels for your age is just as problematic. Nothing in life is free, And no medication comes without side affects.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I wonder what my T-level is?...

    Ellen--DeGeneres-ellen-degeneres-ellen-judge-smiley-emoticon-000841-facebook.gif
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    got ants? wrote: »
    I wonder what my T-level is?...

    Ellen--DeGeneres-ellen-degeneres-ellen-judge-smiley-emoticon-000841-facebook.gif

    Sometimes you just ask for it. big E
    :BUNNY gestapo

  • Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    Testosterone replacement therapy will raise your T and make you feel better. Your balls stop production of T upon starting supplemental testosterone and atrophy (shrink) significantly. You also stop producing **** and consequently become sterile. If you have cancer somewhere in your body, elevating T will cause it to grow faster.

    You see commercials about boosting you bodies' natural T production. One popular product is called "Ageless Male" which runs about $40 month. The active ingredient in Ageless Male is a natural supplement call Fenugreek, and the other is B vitamins. At GNC you can get a 200 count of Fenugreek for $16 and some multivitamins of your choice to cover the B vitamins and bingo you got "Ageless Male." Fenugreek is used in a lot of things and there does not seem to be any literature about any downside to the supplement. YMMV
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,045 Captain
    The bad side effects you here about with athletes and others are people raising their T from a normal level to a high level. Obvious abuse. My son would be happy with the low end of normal, how he gets there is still being evaluated.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sometimes you just ask for it. big E

    Ya think? :blowkiss
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • snookerhookersnookerhooker Posts: 530 Officer
    AC Man wrote: »
    The bad side effects you here about with athletes and others are people raising their T from a normal level to a high level. Obvious abuse. My son would be happy with the low end of normal, how he gets there is still being evaluated.

    This is very true. T levels must be monitored so that you stay in a range considered normal for your age. Speak to your Dr about HCG not to be confused with HGH. This helps in kicking in your own production when synthetically you have lowered or stopped your own production of testosterone. Many Drs don't know about this but get informed with your own research. Blood work does not necessarily have to be expensive, you can find labs that will do your T levels at a fraction of the cost of an office visit to your doc.
  • SaltydawgSaltydawg Posts: 1,283 Officer
    AC Man wrote: »
    The bad side effects you here about with athletes and others are people raising their T from a normal level to a high level. Obvious abuse. My son would be happy with the low end of normal, how he gets there is still being evaluated.

    Not true my friend was not abusing, he was doing it for the very reason your son is doing it.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,045 Captain
    Saltydawg wrote: »
    Not true my friend was not abusing, he was doing it for the very reason your son is doing it.

    Fine. However, unless you have some facts and figures to prove your point it means nothing. Give me the 411 including age, medications, dosage, numbers, time, side effects, etc.
  • srqmynattsrqmynatt Posts: 257 Officer
    SAENole wrote: »
    It's quite common, actually.

    So Common it could be "Normal"

    I work in consulting for private practices, and this T level business is all the rage right now. The docs I work with that are worth anything are not buying in yet.

    I work with hundreds of doctors all in private practice and my job is to make them money so I know the difference between the good and the bad. Take it for what it is, but the good ones haven't jumped in on it.
    63170_4203595405528_791122999_n.jpg
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    what kinda money are we talking to get tested?
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG
    coldair wrote: »
    I blame the internet

    Me too. Putting a laptop on top of your huevos cannot be a good thing
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,014 Admiral
    There is a widely-available "all naturual" supplement available, but I've heard that it is an aquired taste.

    Seriously though, perhaps the low T is a symptom of some other root cause? Metabolic, environmental, diet, BP, smoking, drinking, tight pants....?
    23895.gif
  • mfermfer Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I could go on for hours about this subject,as could a few of us. This is the scoop,like anything else in life do what you want and live with the consequenses. There is a right way to go about TRT,take an AI,keep on a HCG regimen,eventually come off with an Estrogen blocker to reboost your natural test levels,then do it all over again. The best advise I've seen is exercise and diet and take tribulis terrestis for 6 monthes then go get bloodwork. Levels vary for everyone and some people feel great in the upper 200's,like myself,however I'm 35 and know people at 500+ at my age that tell their Dr. they feel like crap and bam they get cypionate at 200mg a week. It's a very slippery slope.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,480 Admiral
    I want a 500# squat!!!
    Back at my strongest I never got past 455, I'd love to have 500!!!
    Just how small would my balls become?
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • got ants? wrote: »
    I wonder what my T-level is?...

    Ellen--DeGeneres-ellen-degeneres-ellen-judge-smiley-emoticon-000841-facebook.gif



    Lower then your estrogen level I'd bet:grin
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Lower then your estrogen level I'd bet:grin

    I get my estrogen err fridee, hows `bout you?
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • Randyleon27Randyleon27 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Hormone replacement is scary to anyone but there are more natural ways to boost testosterone levels now. Take Ageless Male for instance that is a supplement which contains an extract from fenugreek called Testofen and other things that help energy levels too.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,285 AG
    Hormone replacement is scary to anyone but there are more natural ways to boost testosterone levels now. Take Ageless Male for instance that is a supplement which contains an extract from fenugreek called Testofen and other things that help energy levels too.

    This post brought to you by Ageless Male. Available now!
    Warning Level 2
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 6,222 Admiral
    I could stand for a bit of ball shrinkage. Does Ageless Male assist in this regard?
  • stokesstokes Posts: 324 Deckhand
    I too suffer from chronic fat balls and would like more info on this wonder drug.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.