Home Egret Boats

Hull Slap

Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 219 Deckhand
I always laugh at some of the past threads that people post that say an Egret can't be poled and it's way to noisy. I was down in Flamingo over the weekend and was poling in the pole and troll zone with my buddy Pete and we picked up these Red's before getting chased in by the storms. They weren't world records but a lot of fun
Egret 189
Maverick 17T sold

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    By the looks of that water. The only way to see those fish is if you're either right on top of them or they're tailing. By the way, Pete looks like he's had a couple of sandwiches and you look like your're to skinny to pole that boat. Congrats none the less...
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    The boat has bad hull slap, whether that matters to your fishing is the question. All the other benefits outweigh the noise anyways, but there is no denying the hull slap. Looks like those fish in that water wouldn't mind a little noise and I don't see small chop that would make noise either.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I have not seen the hull noise spook a fish. Fish are more tuned into frequency changes like shifting the troller to a lower speed. That turns a fish off quickly.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    My impression is too many boat owners measure their boat's worth based on ego driven criteria such as ultra shallow draft and end up with a one dimensional boat that rides like crap and is wet as hell.

Last-Cast, I don't recall my boat spooking that permit on arti you caught on a flat in the Marquesas after the smooth and dry ride over.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 219 Deckhand
    You're right - I guess we just don't understand what the other folks are talking about. LOL I at least have an excuse, without my hearing aids I can't hear anything.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    Last-Cast wrote: »
    You're right - I guess we just don't understand what the other folks are talking about. LOL I at least have an excuse, without my hearing aids I can't hear anything.

Shut up I can't see..Now what were you saying about AIDS???:grin Oh Hearing AIDS...OK. That sounds better.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    She poles OK.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I have not seen the hull noise spook a fish. Fish are more tuned into frequency changes like shifting the troller to a lower speed. That turns a fish off quickly.
    I've seen that and I've also noticed the pressure wave from rocking the boat while casting makes a difference too. Not a big deal with spinning or casting gear usually but when throwing the fly in shallow water I try to keep casts short and use my arm only (no big shifts in body position that come from trying to make a really long cast)

I think the hull slap sounds like predators feeding and can be attractive to any fish that is the top predator on the flat (snook, jacks, barracuda). If your target species is just someone else's bait (like bonefish on a flat with barracuda) well then yes hull slap might scare the baitfish, I mean bonefish. :)
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Good point. I should take people out and pole them for a day of barracuda and sharks on the flats :) They'd probably have more fun than watching me go crazy trying to get close enough to a bonefish to make a cast anyhow :)
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach