Fishing after the storm

Will be at SGI over the Labor Day weekend and was planning on taking the boat. Don't know how this storm will affect the fishing with all the water getting churned up. What do ya'll think inshore and offshore?:fishing
2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax HPDI
2006 Hobie Outfitter Tandem

Replies

• Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 488 Deckhand
    I am at SGI now waiting on go for seas to subside. Rolling pretty good this afternoon 7'ers at the cut. In the past I have seen the 3-4' sea after a storm be big ole soft rollers with like a 10 second period between. I can fish that -
    The really old folks- like Max- say it is good after a storm off shore.
    The bay was a mess before the storm, look like coffee. There were reds in the cut, but bait was hard to come by.
    Thursday maybe Friday, certainly by Saturday.
  • flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 405 Deckhand
    Yea I have always heard fishing was soppose to be good after a big blow. I was more concerned about the bay and water clarity, sounds bad. I'll have to wait and see about sea conditions before offshore since I'm in a 22' bay boat. How long are you there for?
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,285 AG
    Storms move a lot of fish around.

Seems like a storm that approaches from the south or southeast will push a lot of grouper inshore while one coming from the southwest moves in the red snapper.
    Warning Level 2
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Yea I have always heard fishing was soppose to be good after a big blow. I was more concerned about the bay and water clarity, sounds bad. I'll have to wait and see about sea conditions before offshore since I'm in a 22' bay boat. How long are you there for?

I am here thur Monday. Having thoughts of trying to get out on bayside this afternoon- bridge ramp barricade off, sand ramp almost to high to ID where the hole is.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    I am here thur Monday. Having thoughts of trying to get out on bayside this afternoon- bridge ramp barricade off, sand ramp almost to high to ID where the hole is.

Be careful. Spoke to a friend there this morn. He said the seas on the gulf side of the Dog are enough to flip a boat over.
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,846 Captain
    Be careful. Spoke to a friend there this morn. He said the seas on the gulf side of the Dog are enough to flip a boat over.

Photos courtesy of Gulf County EMA

IP Ramp
    424726_379068865499922_729559670_n.jpg

Indian Pass Beach

Stump Hole
  • joespin76joespin76 Posts: 46 Deckhand
    We are going scalloping out of st. Marks this weekend. How is the scalloping after storms?
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,918 Captain
    Not good. Visibility sucks.
  • flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 405 Deckhand

Thanks for the info. Do you think it will be fishable sat/sun? I'm not leaving town till friday, so I want make a decision on whether to take the boat until then. If you don't mind and get a chance how about posting what the conditions are tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again and good luck :fishing
    JKP wrote: »
    Not good. Visibility sucks.

There is a 60 yard wide bed of seagrass out from the docks in Lanark. Not only is the visability going to be poor but the seagrass has to be real tough to snorkle in and around in the bays.

Good luck.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,742 Captain
    Headed to Carrabelle again tomorrow night. Got to wet the boat and try out the new motor.
    I'll be nearshore, offshore, inshore, around shore from Friday-Sunday. May be at St. Marks one of those days too.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Brad where do you keep your boat tied up when you are down. If you want feel free to tie up to our dock. You have to watch the tides though. The water gets skinny at low tide but the trip out is quick.
    Thanks Ken! I appreciate that very much.

I just realized I didn't answer your question. I usually just put OC on the trailer each afternoon and launch again each morning.
    Used to tie up at H20dog's dock, but his seawall has taken a beating. Hope his yard is still intact when I get down there this evening!
    If you are going inshore or around the islands you just can't beat tying up at our dock. It's literally 60 seconds from good trout and redfish.
    Very kind indeed! Thanks a bunch.