Home Ask the Law!

Another Fishing License question

I didnt want to derail the previous thread on here. Every year I got a boat license because I have a boat and kayak, but I primarily wade fish. I have a buddy who doesnt own a boat or a kayak that asked me if a shoreline license was sufficient for wade fishing. Does anybody know the answer to this?
"Indian River" Joel
www.wadefishingflorida.com
321-402-9881

Replies

• screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Pretty sure he's covered. A boat license is a boat license and a shore license covers any fishing involving from land, submerged or dry.
    Signature
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Unless there has been a change in the past 2 years, he is OK as long as he didn't need some kind of boat (including kayak) to get to the spot he is wading. In other words, if he can shut his car door and walk to his fishing spot, he's OK. If he has to paddle across the ICW, my understanding is he would need a boat license.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    In the past, I have heard something about a 3ft depth rule for shoreline license. Also there is a spot that he fishes, and I have fished before where we tread water for 15 yards or so. Obviously, if you are treading water with a rod in hand you cant fish at the same time though.
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881