Tropical Storms Effect on Lobster Movement

I have often heard that tropical weather systems cause a significant amount of lobster movement when they pass an area. Is this fact or fiction? Was planning on heading down to BPK next week. I have been chased off the Keys numerous times by weather, :USA but have never gone down after a storm. I am in no way insinuating that this Isaac is going to impact the Keys.

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Yes, this storm looks like no matter what track it takes will definitely be close enough to reshuffle the deck
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    This storm is soooo wide that it just can't avoid affecting the Keys.

I've watched nature shows on TV about lobster, and yes, it filmed them making a migration to deeper water ahead of a storm.

That was the northern lobster though. I'm not sure about bugs.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    There is a great little video from a BBC nature show showing Lobsters marching to escape bad water in the Bahamas. I'm sure the same thing happens on our side of the stream and gulf side.

I was surprised to learn and see) that a Triggerfish can take a lobster apart piece by piece.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEKjrF_5XQ

Tom

Tom
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,296 Officer
    [Q:UOTE=urbanRenewal;886550]There is a great little video from a BBC nature show showing Lobsters marching to escape bad water in the Bahamas. I'm sure the same thing happens on our side of the stream and gulf side.

I was surprised to learn and see) that a Triggerfish can take a lobster apart piece by piece.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEKjrF_5XQ

Tom

Tom[/QUOTE]
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,015 Officer
    On Thursday night I was on stock Island waiting for the Yankee Capts trip to leave and we saw them crawing along the seawall. The mates said they hadn't seen them do that before.
  • boarslayer14boarslayer14 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    will they move back i shallower once the storm settles down? was thinkin about comin down there in a week or two but dont know if it would be worth it.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    We lobstered for the 5 days prior to the storm and got our 2 man limit each day and left populated spots on the last day.

Tomorrow will be our first day back out there out of Marathon. I have no idea what to expect, but we'll know more soon. Hopefully we can find that pocket of clear water back in the bay some spots with lobsters on it. Regardless, we'll give it our best shot and I'll report back what differences we see between last Thur and tomorrow.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • mfermfer Posts: 40 Deckhand
    We lobstered for the 5 days prior to the storm and got our 2 man limit each day and left populated spots on the last day.

Tomorrow will be our first day back out there out of Marathon. I have no idea what to expect, but we'll know more soon. Hopefully we can find that pocket of clear water back in the bay some spots with lobsters on it. Regardless, we'll give it our best shot and I'll report back what differences we see between last Thur and tomorrow.

I think this works better for our benefit to the north. They walk in lines of hundreds at a time from the Keys to about Jensen or Ft Pierce. They should be here around Wed. or Thurs.People who know me know where here is.Panhandler if you can, please report back on water clarity. Thanks.
    Just spoke with a guy who was out there today. Said it was milk milk milk this morning, so they went 3 or 4 miles past his holes and fished. They fished for the day and on the way back it was still milk, but a lot better.

Right now it is prett still down here and I'm guessing that things will continue to improve in terms of water clarity and that tomorrow afternoon will be do-able, and thngs by Thursday morning will be nice. I'll let yall know what we see tomorrow.

EDIT: I have no clue what weather systems like this past storm do to shallow water lobsters, but I will say the following: When we were lobstering last Wednesday there were traps all over the place. On Thursday (when storm effect was for-sure and we had booked a place in KW for the storm) we went out and caught lobsters real quick, all the lobster traps were gone. Today on our way back up, lots and lots of traps back out. I can only imagine that the commercial boys got their traps back out immediately for a reason.

I find it hard to believe that all of the bugs have left. I'm sure they got moved around, but they're still around I think. Otherwise, why would the pros have set the traps so quick? My thoughts, anyway.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Just spoke with a guy who was out there today. Said it was milk milk milk this morning, so they went 3 or 4 miles past his holes and fished. They fished for the day and on the way back it was still milk, but a lot better.

Right now it is prett still down here and I'm guessing that things will continue to improve in terms of water clarity and that tomorrow afternoon will be do-able, and thngs by Thursday morning will be nice. I'll let yall know what we see tomorrow.
    You ever make it out deep dropping?
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    ugh...

Yeah, kinda. Had NO PROBLEM getting to the bottom. Tide was slack and 3# lead got us straignt up and down in 350-400 feet. I had NO idea what to look for on the bottom and the machine on the rental boat was 90% chart plotter, 10% bottom machine. We tried a few areas that had some fuzz on the bottom and nothing was going. It was slick calm and ideal current conditions, but also HOT and we'd just wrapped up cathing nothing but small dolphin and not having the right stuff for either small blackfins or skip jacks. Hot, hot, hot with the sun up high and pretty darn hungry, we got tired of it and called it quits. Went bay side and had fun getting out 12 lobster. The next day it got pretty breezy and we spent it and the next 3 days lobstering prior to storm-effect winds.

Was just tough to keep at it having no confidence and no experience with a bottom machine that I was not used to. Maybe next time.
  • cs1650cs1650 Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Hey guys. Thanks for the clarity reports so far. I would like to make a trip down on Friday. Do you think it will be divable Friday in upper keys on Gulf side? Please keep clarity reports coming!
  • Mako my DayMako my Day Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Still kind of milky here in Islamorada, should be a lot clearer by Friday if the wind stays down.
    We got our twelve yesterday out of Marathon out in that pocket of traditionally clear water. It was definitely buoy time, though. We'd zero out on th GPS and in 7 to 10' of water you could not see the bottom until you were 3' down or so. N, S, E and W of that clear stuff it was even more clouded up.

Today was much more clear. In a few spots we were around 11' deep and we could see the bottom from up top.

We only ended up with 2 lobster. A nice one and a barely legal. Had to call it quits early when the rental boat's rusted up telescoping boarding ladder self destructed when my mom was getting on board. The top rung let go, and then she fell through the next one, and her other foot destroyed the bottom one. She got on board with blood pouring from her knee and then realized that her rib was bruised.

Anyway, it looked like hospital time, and it turns out that it was. With her not able to get in the water anymore due to stiches, we turned the boat back in and the rental company was kind enough to let us out of the next few days. The only reason I rented it was to take mom and dad with me, and with mom out of commission as a result of the nasty ladder, I did not need the boat. Anyway, my wife and I will be out there tomorrow with a friend. For Saturday we'll be out on a charter. On Sunday we're going with another friend, and then on MOnday we head home.

I suspect that by Sat morning, things in the bay (at least where we usually go) will be back to normal. The difference between Wed and today was substantial... in a good way.