Gander Mountain in Valdosta

Sure is great to see a little life coming back to Valdosta in the retail sector. The new Gander Mountain opened yesterday. It is on Norman Drive, between Wal-Mart & the conference center, directly behind Cheddar's. Stopped by yesterday and picked up a little something for my birthday. They've got a HUGE number of employees, which I am sure contributed to the exceptional customer service, but they treated me very well.

I picked up a nice little "budget" over & under, a Mossberg Silver Reserve combo, with two sets of barrels, in 20 and 28 gauge. Also got all 5 choke tubes for both sets of barrels. The gun looks and feels awesome, and is really nice to handle. Reviews online are mixed, with some saying it is poor quality. Conflicting results, actually, because it is Turkish-made, and apparently most Turkish guns are above average. We're going to the farm this afternoon to shoot some clay targets.

If you get to Valdosta, give them a visit. They've got a HUGE selection of firearms, and most everything an outdoorsman could want! Doesn't look like any of the typical Bass Pro "redhead" crap quality either.

Also, it won't be long until the new Academy Sports just down the street opens... probably less than a month!

Replies

• reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Academy Sports has EVERYTHING!! love that place!
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    I was booked at the Hampton for next week until Issac made it apparent it may not be a great week to be in the field down that way. Looking forward to my next visit!
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Great to hear. I often wonder where life would have led if I had stayed in valdittyy. Just that close too. Gander mtn is a nice addition IMHO.

Valdosta is a great town with great people....
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,344 Officer
    There have been a lot of Turkish manufactured guns around for years, almost all rebranded by household name gun companies.
    Most are very reliable and always have higher quality wood and engraving than other guns in the same price range.
    The only real problem with the Mossberg Silver Reserve was the brittle firing pins, which were known to break usually after 1000+ shots.
    This was back in 2006/7 and the problem was resolved.
    Thats a gun to enjoy.
  • manleymanley Posts: 877 Officer
    It shoots pretty well, it will be a nice addition. Should be fun on the sporting clays range... if I ever have the chance to have fun again.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    Great to hear. I often wonder where life would have led if I had stayed in valdittyy.

Valdosta thanks you for your departure.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,585 AG
    Academy Sports has EVERYTHING!! love that place!

One opens in Tally on Aug 31. Hopefully it won't be like the Sportsmans Warehouse that we had for a short tim. They had all of the brown and brook trout flies you could ever want with nowhere to use them around here.

Glad you like your gun Manley. I have a friend that duck hunts with one and he likes it.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • DostahawkDostahawk Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Loved it.

Had a great selection of outdoor stuff....fishing, hunting, clothing. Very attractive store.

Great to have a store like this in Valdosta.

The Academy store will also be a great addition.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    28 gauge ????? I've been away from hunting & shooting a long, long time. All they had back then was 12, 16, 20 & 410 gauge. Well then the rare 10 gauge. Is 28 gauge a replacement for 410 ???
    Nah, it's just a pretty rare gauge. I tend to like the obscure and unique... kinda like me.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,344 Officer
    The annoying fact is that the smaller gauge shotgun ammunition is so much more expensive than the 12 gauge ammunition, despite usually being smaller loads.
    I know its all to do with volume of sales/manufacturing costs, but its still annoying.
    Friends with .410's home load, as the ready made cartridges are so expensive.
    In the UK you would struggle to find a Dealer that stocks 28gauge, 16gauge or much of a choice of .410.
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    The 28ga very quickly became my favorite quail gun,but i think atleast for me,it is only a quail maybe a skeet gauge...
  • OldgoldandwhiteOldgoldandwhite Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Bob Brister once said that the 28 gauge had the best bore to load ratio of any shotgun. Does the Gander Mtn. have much saltwater stuff?
    I didn't spend a lot of time in that section, but I'd say it is FAR better than anyone else in town. Might even say it is better than EVERYONE else in town combined!
  • Dial ToneDial Tone Posts: 177 Deckhand
    The 28ga very quickly became my favorite quail gun,but i think atleast for me,it is only a quail maybe a skeet gauge...
    ditto..... My youngest daughter got her first quail with one...I have yet to hit one with it (only got one shot off before she asked for it back) but great quail gun. Ammo is a little pricey at the Mountain,, 4 to 5 bucks per 500 (22 and 223) over going rate. The Mountain purchased Overtons a few years back so look for good deals on Power Boating items as the summer leaves into fall..
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    One opens in Tally on Aug 31. Hopefully it won't be like the Sportsmans Warehouse that we had for a short tim. They had all of the brown and brook trout flies you could ever want with nowhere to use them around here.
    All the more reason to shop local when you can.
  • OldgoldandwhiteOldgoldandwhite Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Where is the one in Tally going to be?