Just got the mandatory evacution oder off SGI -

Da..m - just got the mandatory evac order- we off thur labor day so we are not going home- Going to try to run to east coast.
Hopelfully back in a couple of days.

Replies

• QuinngfnQuinngfn Posts: 487 Deckhand
    I'd stay put.. The latest forecast(5PM) has Issac going to LA/MS coast. If that is the case, we will likely get some amount of storm surge and lots of rain.. and of course high wind, maybe to 50/60 mph. Once you leave they won't let you back without a return pass, if you own property over there.. I would think, they are looking at old info and the evac might be cancelled, when they wise up about the latest forecast. That just me.. I live on 98 across from the E end of SGI. I'm going to wait til the last minute to put up my storm shutters, if they bring the forecast back our way..
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 488 Deckhand
    we are in a rental- do we have a choice? We get re-imbursed - I have sat thur 2 TS on SGI - no power - lots of rain - pretty cool for first 4-5 hours- then it gets old real quick. We got a place at Amelia Island for 2 days - hopefully that will be enough. Be Back soon,.
  • QuinngfnQuinngfn Posts: 487 Deckhand
    If the rental agency says you have to go, 'guess you would not have a choice in the matter.. And yeah, I know they loose power out there fairly often, so might be a good reason to leave even if they say you can stay. I understand, though, they have the new power lines to the island operational. Wife says, this will be the test to see if they will withstand heavy weather.. Good luck with it all. Hope you get some fishing in, someplace. :)
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 602 Officer
    You have to decide what is best for you,IMO. In my opinion, this storm on current track might bring some rain, modest storm surge, and maybe 30 mph winds, at the coast. In tally, not much more than a couple of breezy days with a few rain bands, inch or two of accumulation. After Debby dumping on sopchoppy they are not going to be blamed for under forecasting, so we will get an aggressive forecast.

Ej
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    we are in a rental- do we have a choice? We get re-imbursed - I have sat thur 2 TS on SGI - no power - lots of rain - pretty cool for first 4-5 hours- then it gets old real quick. We got a place at Amelia Island for 2 days - hopefully that will be enough. Be Back soon,.

Amelia Island should be a good trip. Don't know any fishing spots to tell you about up there except along the beach at Amelia Island State park on the Nassau river. If the mullet are moving up the shore with the tide in the relatively quiet water, five to ten feet out, the fishing will be good right near shore. They often catch good sheepshead on the old bridge, now fishing peir. The peir I cannot either confirm or denigh just pass on stories. Look out in the Nassau sound........lots of shoals.

Ferndina is an interesting town. The biggest newest boat ramp is north of the town. Check out Google. My intell on places to eat is dated.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.