Home General Fishing

Loomis rods

johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
Apparently Gary Loomis has some new rods for 2012.

http://www.edgerods.com/

Edge Fishing Rods - Saltwater and Freshwater Fishing Rods Designed by Gary Loomis, founder of G. Loomis, Inc. - Manufactured in Woodland, WA. USA

edgerods206.jpg

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain
    I was very disappointed with the blanks I got from Northfork Composites, I hope he put a little more effort (and better materials) into these.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    wow he wants a lot
    Germ wrote: »
    wow he wants a lot

And they're nothing exceptional. I've built a few rods on the NFC blanks for friends by request, they're a middle of the road IM6 blank with a relatively slow response time and tapers that remind me of the 80$ shikari's I was using 7-8 years ago. At 100$ I wouldn't have any issue with them, but for the premium Gary is charging for these blanks I expected alot more. St. Croix's SCIV blanks put them to shame, and they're a bit cheaper.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    So without me having to go read a bunch of marketing BS, Loomis just "designed" the rods, not the blank? Or the blanks are his design but using not so great graphite / resin?
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,593 Captain
    $100 for the rod $300 for a G Loomis sticker.
    So without me having to go read a bunch of marketing BS, Loomis just "designed" the rods, not the blank? Or the blanks are his design but using not so great graphite / resin?

The rods are built on Gary's North Fork Composites blanks, and they simply are what they are.
  • Steelhead_StalkersSteelhead_Stalkers Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Sorry to bring up this old thread but most of what said here is absolutely wrong! North Fork Composite blanks are some of the best in the industry. They do not use IM6 graphite. Their lowest level (SM) graphite is similar to a loomis GL3. Their (IM) level graphite is lighter and stronger than loomis IMX and thier top of the line (HM) material is lighter and stronger than loomis GLX! I have built hundreds of rods using these blanks and they are far a away the highest quality blanks I have ever built on. Gary re-designed all of the machinery that he first built at Loomis some 30+ years ago and his rolling machine rolls banks at over 250 psi. Compare that to the industry standard of 50-75 psi.

Custom North Fork Composite 962x (HM) blank built up as a steelhead side drifting rod. Finished weight 3.3 oz! Try to get that weight with an IM6 blank. Its impossible!

dscn2689i.jpg

Type in "Gary Loomis Video" in Google to see a full interview with him talking about the blank building process. The new Edge Rods are pretty amazing and use new graphite handles made with the same technology as their blanks.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Are they really worth a price of $300+ as I have read? What more can they provide to most then a rod for $100-$150?

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    estero wrote: »
    What more can they provide to most then a rod for $100-$150?

Some cork maybe?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Doesn't Shimano own the G. Loomis brand name?
  • p914p914 Posts: 497 Deckhand
    bonephish wrote: »
    Doesn't Shimano own the G. Loomis brand name?

Correct. Loomis does have his own company that has no afilliation with Shimano that bought the rights to his siganture and name for marketing.

I lived minutes from Woodland and still love my Lamiglas rods. I liked going to the Lamiglas outlet store at the factory to buy seconds at great prices. I still call them to see what they have when I look for any particular rod.
    Loomis are good but Im a Lamiglas guyO:-)
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
    shimano bought g.loomis rods in 1997.
  • Steelhead_StalkersSteelhead_Stalkers Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Gary Loomis continued to work for G Loomis for many years after he sold the company to shimano. It was about four or five years ago that he left G Loomis after they started going a direction that he did not like. He then started North Fork Composites to start making rod blanks again and then about six months ago launched Edge Rods using his North Fork Composites blanks.

I guess the biggest thing his rods offer compared to $100-150 price range rods is they are 100% made in the US. The machinery that he designs himself for rod building are the most advanced in the industry. They actually have one of the old rod rollers in their shop that Lamiglas currently uses just so people can see how much different their machinery is as far as PSI in rolling and the positive effects they produce. Gary can take any other rod or blank manufactures materials and run it through his machinery and it will be 10-15% lighter with equal strength as that company blanks or rods! They are worth a look if you are in the market for a high end rod or blank.

I just built up the lightest 10 ft, 8wt fly rod every produced (3.1 oz) with NFC (HM) graphite and composite carbon fiber grips. Pretty amazing considering that North Fork Composites are not using any of the new nano resins in their blanks.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Some cork maybe?

I like my Carrot Stix. or the new green Celery Stix. :wink

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,795 Captain
    Many of the rods I built in the last 30 years or so (built my first rod in 1971....) were on Loomis blanks (until they were bought out by Shimano and the "Loomis blanks" were no longer avaiable to builders. I even still have one or two of the old LCI blanks on hand (Loomis Composites, Inc) that came before "G. Loomis". I've built with Fenwick (original US built), Lamiglass, Fisher, Sabre, Rainshadow, Gatorglass, Sage and a variety of "no name" blanks as well.... Never high volume - just for myself and a few select customers. I no longer build for anyone but myself, although I still repair anything that I built....

The point of the above is that any fishing blank is just the starting point in rodbuilding.... How you design it, the hardware, and the techniques used have an awful lot to do with the final product. As you go up the scale to the newest, most innovative, lightest blanks.... you also go up the scale in fragility and expense.... My gear gets used hard, and lives in rough conditions. We're frequently hunting 10 to 1, sometimes even 15 to 1 fish (10 to 1 - a 100lb tarpon on 10lb line, for instance) so durability ranks really high in my consideration. Yes it's nice to see really high end manufacturing outfits on the scene, but for day in and day out most anglers might be better served by gear that's a bit less money.... By the way, has Mr. Loomis severed his ties with Temple Fork Outfitters?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    By the way, has Mr. Loomis severed his ties with Temple Fork Outfitters?

I was thinking the same thing about Gary Loomis and TFO. How many rod companies can the guy put his name on? :huh
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing about Gary Loomis and TFO. How many rod companies can the guy put his name on? :huh

Gary "sold" his company, GLoomis, to Shimano, back in '97 and stayed on as consultant for a number of years under contract. When that contract ended, he left. There was a standard "non-compete" clause that was in effect for a while. There were no ill feelings, the contract just ended.

When that clause expired, he started North Fork. His role with Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) was as a design consultant -- he did not built their rods (they might have used some of his blanks from NF, but I don't know).

Gary's about as nice a guy as you'd like to meet. IMO he can start as many rod companies as he'd like. An engineer who like to fish -- a good combo.

PB
  • XXXXXX Posts: 160 Officer
    Gary was chillin and very happy at the TFO booth last month at ICAST. I doubt he severd ties.
  • p914p914 Posts: 497 Deckhand
    I fished steelhead around Gary a few times on the Lewis River and learned a lot watching his techniques. He was pretty friendly on the water. He and a few others at CCA also started up a steelhead replanting and grow facility on the Lewis just outside of Woodland that has helped keep the steelhead population healthy. Overall nice guy and very helpful if you ran into him while fishing.