Home Ask the Law!

Fish cut in half

mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
I know for most fish the regulations are that they must be landed ashore intact, but what about when a shark/barracuda bites a fish in half? Must a dead fish be tossed back in or is it legal to keep?

Replies

• Austin MitchellAustin Mitchell Posts: 361 Officer
    Toss it back, FWC doesn't care if it was bit in half or not. Having an illegal fish is illegal no matter what, if a shark bites the fish in half I doubt there's much meat left anyways.
    logo-bottom.png
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Federal Waters: If the fish is still legal length you would be okay to keep.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    What about non-regulated fish?
  • Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Then it would be long enough to keep in Fed waters...
    Crab Bait wrote: »
    Then it would be long enough to keep in Fed waters...

I'm talking about in state.
  • Mako254Mako254 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    It would be a violation. The regulations state that the fish must be landed in whole condition. The state regs do not provide for any exceptions, regardless of whether the remaining carcass measures legal.
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    its true also if your using them for bait, if the officer wants to be an a$$ hole..... like I had a buddy using half a spanish mackeral and they guy wrote him a ticket
  • NolesNoles Posts: 196 Officer
    Federal Waters: If the fish is still legal length you would be okay to keep.

what about a fish cut in half to fit in the cooler? If it can be shown that both halves pieced together are of legal length is it ok?
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Noles wrote: »
    what about a fish cut in half to fit in the cooler? If it can be shown that both halves pieced together are of legal length is it ok?

It is the state law that is the problem, even if you are allowed to have a fish that is not in whole condition in federal water you are not allowed to have it in state water and that is where you will have a problem. It must be landed in whole condition, that is state law not federal.

Edit: You would be takeing a chance, it would all depend on the Officer that stoped you and what there decision to do. The federal LEO will not be the one at the ramp, at least on the Atlantic side.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Noles wrote: »

The problem you have then is the fish not being landed in intact. A fish bitten in half is different from cutting the fish yourself.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
    This whole law makes no sense. What about when fishing from shore? Are you allowed to fillet a fish right away? I've seen people doing this and it's next to impossible to identify a fish by its fillet or see if its legal. Also, what about bleeding a fish? Is it legal to cut off a fishes tail or cut through its gills to bleed it? (for fish like jacks, mackerel, and bluefish)
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    I would rather risk the ticket than let the fish spoil if I really wanted it.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    This whole law makes no sense. What about when fishing from shore? Are you allowed to fillet a fish right away? I've seen people doing this and it's next to impossible to identify a fish by its fillet or see if its legal. Also, what about bleeding a fish? Is it legal to cut off a fishes tail or cut through its gills to bleed it? (for fish like jacks, mackerel, and bluefish)

When fishing from shore you are not allowed to fillet the fish until you have left the fishing area and put your fishing tackle away. It is legal to bleed the fish by cutting the gills or removing them and you can gut the fish, you cannot cut off the head, tail or fillet the fish while you are stilll on the beach, bridge, pier or in a boat