Home Shimano

Problem with Sahara handle

james.n.richardsonjames.n.richardson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
I am having a problem with the handle on my Sahara 4000. The rubber handle is very difficult to turn in the arm assembly. Furthermore, the rubber on the handle has become very sticky. Searching the forum and web suggests that others are having similar problems. I am not sure what causes the rotational resistance in the handle. I assume that it has to do with saltwater leaching into the joint from wet hands. No amount of reel lube seems to help the handle rotation problem. The schematic suggests that the entire handle has to be replaced. I have had the reel less than two years and only get to the water to fish every three or four months. Consequently, the reel hasn't seen a lot of use. It is surprising that I am having this problem on a reasonably new and lightly used reel. I am hopeful that Bantam1 will read and reply to this post. I want to repair the reel, but don't want to purchase a new handle if the problem is going to recur.

I am interested in what others have done to resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

James

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    James,

The grip material is made out of rubber. I am not sure what chemicals can affect rubber. There is probably corrosion on the post. You will need to remve the knob to clean and lubricate the post. On the end of the knob you will see a round plastic plug. Remove this and it will give you access to the screw or nut that is holding the knob on the handle post.
  • james.n.richardsonjames.n.richardson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    bantam1 wrote: »
    James,

The grip material is made out of rubber. I am not sure what chemicals can affect rubber. There is probably corrosion on the post. You will need to remve the knob to clean and lubricate the post. On the end of the knob you will see a round plastic plug. Remove this and it will give you access to the screw or nut that is holding the knob on the handle post.

Bantam1 - thanks for reading and replying. I had previously removed the rubber piece from the end of the handle expecting to find a screw or nut, but found neither. What I see appears to be the end of a stud that was pressed into the rubber paddle or, the stud is part of the rubber paddle which was pressed into the handle. Either way, I cannot remove the paddle from the axle. Hopefully the image will shed some light on the problem.

I appreciate your time and the help that you offer.
    This one is pressed in. The entire handle has to be replaced.
  • james.n.richardsonjames.n.richardson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Will Shimano replace the handle? Do I need to contact customer service? As I said in the original thread, the reel is not very old and has been lightly used.
    The warranty covers the reel for one year. If the reel is less than a year old then yes we will take care of it under warranty. Here is a link to our warranty procedure and repair form:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Repair_Services.html