Home Ask the Law!

12 ga. shot gun on the gulf

tilemantileman Posts: 1,133 Officer
is it legal to discharge a shot gun to subdue a shark off the beach of sanibel. is there a distance where it can and can't be used?
Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Good question. I would think a 12 gage might be overkill, but its the same question.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    Not exactly on point, but then again, it's pretty close.

And it appears it is illegal

From Ask FWC
    AskFWC wrote:
    Bang sticks.
    Answer ID 2603 | Published 07/30/2009 01:34 PM | Updated 10/17/2011 10:51 AM
    Is it legal use a bang stick in the state of Florida when diving or hunting alligators?

It is lawful to:

Carry a bang stick for self defense against sharks and alligators.
    Use bang sticks for taking alligators attached to a restraining line with the proper licenses and permits.

It is unlawful to:

Take marine life with a bang stick.

For more information on alligator hunting, go to http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/alligator-harvest/.

If you kill an alligator in "self defense" you will be investigated and charged if it is determined that you were not in imminent peril.

If you can't use a bang stick which is in effect a firearm, to take Marine Life, then you would be in violation in discharging a shotgun to "take marine life"
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 230 Deckhand
    As stated above NO.
    68B-4.0083 Food Fish: Gear and Other Restrictions; Use of Explosives to Kill Fish Prohibited; Certain Uses of Frame Nets Prohibited; Stop Netting Prohibited; Possession of Certain Proscribed Nets Prohibited; Use of Chemicals Prohibited.
    snip...
    (2) No person may throw or cause to be thrown, into any of the waters of this state, any dynamite, lime, other explosives or discharge any firearms whatsoever for the purpose of killing fish therein. The landing ashore or possession on the water by any person of any fish that has been damaged by explosives is prima facie evidence of violation of this section.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,133 Officer
    thanks
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    What would be your reason to shoot a shark?
  • SharktaggerSharktagger Posts: 327 Officer
    Dont blast em, tag and release....unless you're going to eat a small blacktip in which case, a 12ga would definitely be overkill. Whack em right on top of the head where the eyes and snout line would intersect and they're out......but seriously, tag and release. PM me if you want info on how to get involved in a tagging program. Free even!
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat"........
    Why ? to bring on board and harvest for food.....have you ever tried to subdue a 7' or bigger shark by wacking it over the head....get real! if I,m out 20-30 mls I can't drag it in, bringing it on board is a whole lot easier
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    • Not a problem in Federal water, but is ileagle in state water. You are not allowed to use power heads in state water either, but you are allowed to power head in federal water, just do it 9 miles off shore in the gulf
    so over 9 mls out, I'd be OK to harvest one in that manner?
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Not a problem, look down at bottom of this page, another thread titled, Can I shoot flying fish. A couple.post from guys associated with noaa posted about shooting them. Many they will chime in here, but I know some that shoot sharks off new jersey coast to dispatch them before bringing them in boat. Don't stop and fish in state water with a fish that has been shot.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    tileman wrote: »
    is it legal to discharge a shot gun to subdue a shark off the beach of sanibel. is there a distance where it can and can't be used?

Not illegal, if the shark is legal but PLEASE be careful using a 12 gauge. You may want to invest in another type of firearm, pistol etc.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
    Wait!!! Sir, I don' t understand ....the whole thread has been no, no, no, and you say yes? please verify. are you saying it CAN be used in state waters???? how about bang stick, the 12 gauge would only be useed if the shark being harvested for food was to big to subdue in other manners, and not right off the beach...but state waters
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    • Not a problem in Federal water, but is ileagle in state water. You are not allowed to use power heads in state water either, but you are allowed to power head in federal water, just do it 9 miles off shore in the gulf

I'm sorry, I was replying to it being legal in federal waters. I should have made myself clear.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
  • mdshuntermdshunter Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    So, not to be a ****, but just how would the state have us subdue a big one we were going to keep? When I was a kid growing up around Englewood (a long time ago) everyone used shotguns on sharks. The regulations back then were so straight forward that even I at 8 or 9 could understand them all. Now there are so many conflicting and overlapping regs you almost need a lawyer to decipher the regs. It would be a lot better for everyone if the regs or at least the explanation of them was a bit more straight forward.
    It may be legal to shoot one while on a boat in state waters, however, you would need to check with the FWCC. I suggest you contact a local office or try "Ask FWC".

If you are fishing from the beach you would need to check with the local sheriff's office or whichever jurisdiction you are in.

I can only answer the federal issues.

Thanks
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Just bring it into the boat and THEN shoot it?
    23895.gif
  • DaveFortMyersDaveFortMyers Posts: 168 Officer
    Why not a 22 rifle? I mean it will penatrate? Or maybe you need an ar15. I wouldn't want to shoot a 12 gauge on and at my boat.

If from your well your just special. When is the last time you saw a shotgun at the beach.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    NO NO NO, NOT on the beach....near the beach, mile or two. and a .22 cal wouldn't do squat!
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,389 Officer
    Good grief guys! If you can't read and understand simple rules then ask FWC as NOAA Agent Coker stated above. Egreen Cobra posted the regs above: Quote, " or discharge any firearms whatsoever for the purpose of killing fish therein" Quote. Those are the state regs; real, real difficult to understand!
    :banghead
  • bobcatbobcat Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Maybe a .50 cal would do the job.
  • Austin MitchellAustin Mitchell Posts: 361 Officer
    Just get one of these..
    logo-bottom.png
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    One thing comes to mind.. if you can legally open carry to/from/while fishing, hunting and camping, what would be the repercussions of using said firearm? What's the legit reason to they guideline to have? Hunting and camping is understandable, large animals can harm you, it's self protection. Fish on the otherhand isn't like that...
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif