Shark Hookers 2012 Season (thus far)

We obviously have kind of fallen off the face of the earth for a while. Nothing to do with the site, but instead just because we had such a horrible start to the season that the frustration took over until we got things going again. What a weird year for sharking so far . . . well, at least that we've seen here in SWFL. The hammers are typically gone fort the most part by early June around here, yet both of ours were caught in the end of July and now early August. Very limited amount of bulls, lemons, and blacktips this year for us. I have no idea what's going on. Anyways, at the start of this season (our fourth) we still had never caught a nurse shark or a hammer head. Well, I'm half proud to say that that is no longer the case. May I please mention now that I HATE nurse sharks. They are almost zero fight, they flip out on the beach and do death rolls, and they grunt . . . so I grunt back. With that being said, we have already taken out AT LEAST 50-60 new people sharking this year. We pride ourselves on introducing the sport to new people as an example of how to do things the right way. All of our sharks swam away perfectly fine, and the hammers were landed and released in 60 seconds or less. Here are the photos, hope you all enjoy:

e1c18f70.jpg

dac6cd78.jpg

e5b1a681.jpg

14412bd9.jpg

65964e26.jpg

9c30c293.jpg

6142a034.jpg

1ec4d556.jpg

6f5fd96b.jpg

677a00c5.jpg

69a54a25.jpg

2fbdfa90.jpg

41edbcce.jpg

4f5ce934.jpg

Big thanks to Guts & Glory Tackle near Fort Myers Beach for always supplying us with bait, leaders, and supplies. Also a big thanks to the most important member of the Shark Hookers family:

Daku
0efca78e.jpg

And lastly, the two best photos of the season for us:

530982f2.jpg

307de070.jpg
OfficialLogowithDaku1_zpsb67d114c.jpg

Replies

• etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    we have been catching a ton of blacktips out about a mile off of sanibel, we went monday and it was slow but we had 3 black tips, and 1 big lemon and 1 big bull. last week in 4 hours we had 16 bites, 12 landed, 8 blacktips, a couple sharpnose and a hammerhead, we also go bit off by a big fish, i think a hammerhead. we were catching some off bonita but we have been down there lately , but I will on sunday so we will see what happens.
  • RkatzRkatz Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Awesome pics! The last one would be enough to make me soil myself if I was in the water.

Heading that way this week w/ my boat. My kids (little guys) want nothing more than to catch sharks. I don't necessarily want to tangle w/ 7 footers - or even 4 or 5 footers for that matter, but if I can catch them some reasonably sized juvenile blacktip, hammerhead or other sharks for them to see and release, it would be awesome. Do you have any tips as to where I may be able to easily (I am a rank amateur fisherman) catch something like that and the best time, bait, ... to use? If you know of any decent guides that are little kid friendly, I would love to have that information also. I will be coming out of the Caloosahatchee by the Cape Coral Bridge. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Rafael
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    Great pics and nice hammerhead! Congrats
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Nice! Great job guys! You all seem to have it figured out that's for sure! And I agree about the nurse sharks...they death roll like crazy. Irritating when you're just trying to release them and they're just tangling themselves up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    very nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoganMaxMoganMax Posts: 139 Officer
    Wow. Thats cool!
  • T-ravT-rav Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Hey I Shark fish up in Jacksonville and was wondering what your leader set-up is? Me and my crew keep getting broken off and we are using 100 lb. braid and a light drag. We think they are rubbing through the line... you guys seem to have it all figured out so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • J_WaRd_29J_WaRd_29 Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Rkatz wrote: »
    Awesome pics! The last one would be enough to make me soil myself if I was in the water.

Heading that way this week w/ my boat. My kids (little guys) want nothing more than to catch sharks. I don't necessarily want to tangle w/ 7 footers - or even 4 or 5 footers for that matter, but if I can catch them some reasonably sized juvenile blacktip, hammerhead or other sharks for them to see and release, it would be awesome. Do you have any tips as to where I may be able to easily (I am a rank amateur fisherman) catch something like that and the best time, bait, ... to use? If you know of any decent guides that are little kid friendly, I would love to have that information also. I will be coming out of the Caloosahatchee by the Cape Coral Bridge. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would try little chunks of ladyfish. You can fish just about anywhere here in SWFL and sharks are present. Fort Myers pier, Sanibel pier . . . anywhere really. Use chunks of lady fish a bit smaller than the size of a tennis ball. Any bait shop should sell smaller steel leaders. Again, not to plug the bait shop I use too heavily, but the only one I know that carries all that is Guts & Glory near Fort Myers Beach, including smaller leaders/hooks. If you plan on releasing the sharks, use circle hooks so you don't hook their insides and make sure to have pliers. Please ask away with any other questions and let me know how you do!
    T-rav wrote: »
    Hey I Shark fish up in Jacksonville and was wondering what your leader set-up is? Me and my crew keep getting broken off and we are using 100 lb. braid and a light drag. We think they are rubbing through the line... you guys seem to have it all figured out so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

We use 12 ft steel leaders with 20/0 circle hooks. The specs are unknown, as Guts & Glory near Fort Myers Beach (the bait shop we use) constructs all of our leaders/hooks. The owner Bill may be the one to talk to about the specifics of it, so feel free to call him and say Shark Hookers referred you for the info. As far as the break-offs, have you tried a top shot of mono? We don't use top shots, solely because we don't seem to have that issue down here in SWFL. However, if you think the bottom is causing the break-offs, try a 150-200 yard mono top shot to combat the abrasion of the bottom. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. If it doesn't, we'll explore some other options!
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand

I used to live in Jax, its very possible some of those hook ups are kings, and they are cutting you off. also the bottom can lead to break offs there if you dont get it past the sandbar.

After getting a warranted EARFUL from my mentor Bill from Guts & Glory, I have to apologize for not reading your post with a little more detail. I assumed you were talking about the bottom breaking you off, but after re-reading it with him it seems as though you're having trouble with the sharks doing that to you? If that's the case, then the answer is simple and one of the first lessons I was taught (hence the earful) . . . when sharking from the beach, your leader HAS TO be longer than the shark you're going for. Otherwise, the shark's tail/body can cut through any braid or mono. How long is the leader you're using? We use 12' ones and have only had that happen a couple times, which is why it's also very important to fight the shark on an angle to prevent that. Sorry for misreading it the first time!
    Caught this 7 footer (guesstimated) last night

1e89ca98.jpg

8504fc4f.jpg
    Caught Friday night

1c55f955.jpg

db9b47f0.jpg

fc431b6b.jpg
  • RandallRandall Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Nice snarks. Ever have close calls in knee deep water?
    Thankfully no. The closest call we have ever had was a 8' lemon shark (most dangerous shark to handle in our view) swung back and bit my swimming trunks. That was enough for me to never allow myself ot feel "comfortable" with these animals again.
  • L8TRG8TRL8TRG8TR Posts: 62 Deckhand
    How do you guys get your baits out far enough to get the bite?

You don't swim, do you?
    The first time we ever tried sharking, I had my buddy boogie-board the bait out. After catching our first shark and seeing the size of it, we realized that that was probably not the greatest idea, haha. Truth be told, people using a boogie-board or even swimming would probably be perfectly fine. However, is it worth that risk? In our eyes, no. So we use a sit-on-top kayak to take the bait out anywhere from 75-200 yards.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    brings back memories! I used to love shark'n from the beach. ( back in the 80's ) great post guys
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I dont shark fish so I have no experience. How do you get the hook out of his mouth without getting bitten? It seems like everyone pulls the sharks head back but this puts your hand about 6 inches from his teeth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I dont shark fish so I have no experience. How do you get the hook out of his mouth without getting bitten? It seems like everyone pulls the sharks head back but this puts your hand about 6 inches from his teeth.

Do not do that!

• L8TRG8TRL8TRG8TR Posts: 62 Deckhand
    That makes sense...kayak.

One of the great things (for us) about sharks, they don't have legs or necks so their ability to lunge forward and/or up is very, very limited when you're on top of the shark. Your hand will always be in danger if it is to the side of and/or under the mouth. However, if you have your hand directly on top of its nose or head, it cannot flip its head up/back to bite. If you have your hand far enough in front of its mouth, it cannot lunge forward. It's all about being smart and careful. Know each species of shark and their individual range of motion, and you will be fine.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh, those nurse sharks would do nicely on the table!!!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Thanks man. I am usually fishing with my 3 boys and that information is very helpful!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Man I can never get over those hammerhead dorsal fins. Definitely an amazing site to see....as long as you are not offshore swimming
    Thanks man. I am usually fishing with my 3 boys and that information is very helpful!

Feel free to ask anything you want, I'd be more than happy to answer. I don't claim to know everything by any means whatsoever, but I'd be glad to share what has worked for me and our team throughout the last few years.
    Man I can never get over those hammerhead dorsal fins. Definitely an amazing site to see....as long as you are not offshore swimming

Completely agree! Each hammerhead we caught, we saw the dorsal come out of the water and our stomachs all dropped, haha. It's such a rush and exciting feeling. The only thing I can compare it to is when we caught our tiger and first saw its stripes when it broadsided us swimming parallel to the shore.
  • mnhuntermnhunter Posts: 69 Deckhand
    This is awesome!! I have relatives in Longboat Key, are there sharks like this to be caught there from the beach too? I get there often and I have the bonnet heads figured out on the flats, and have caught a few 2-3 footers on the beach, but never targeted anything larger. Can I do this? If so is anywhere on the beach the same? If not, what do you look for? What time of year is best? Sorry about all the ?'s! Congrats on your catches!
    mnhunter wrote: »
    This is awesome!! I have relatives in Longboat Key, are there sharks like this to be caught there from the beach too? I get there often and I have the bonnet heads figured out on the flats, and have caught a few 2-3 footers on the beach, but never targeted anything larger. Can I do this? If so is anywhere on the beach the same? If not, what do you look for? What time of year is best? Sorry about all the ?'s! Congrats on your catches!

Looking at that location, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to catch large sharks on the Gulf side. Take a look at Google Maps and see if there are any sandbars. I didn't get a chance to check that out. If there are sandbars, anywhere just in front of or just beyond them should be prime shark territory. If there aren't any sandbars, then look for darker areas on the map that represent deeper water. Prime time for sharks on this coast tends to be late May into early October, but you can catch them any time of the year.

Here's what I'll say about sharking, though. If you go after the big boys, you truly need to have the right gear. Not only for your own safety, but for the well-being of the shark, as well. Study up, get the right gear, and study how to handle/de-hook/release the sharks properly. That will make for a better time for all involved!