Home Diver's Corner

spearing lionfish in Palm Beach County

brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
Any thoughts on locations in fairly shallow water for this? Saw a couple this week (inside, areas where spearing isn't allowed), and got to looking up recipes. I want to give it a try.
"A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
-John Gierach

Replies

• OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    I made six dives over Memorial day weekend out of Boynton Beach. We saw at least 4-6 Lionfish per dive. All between 50-90 feet deep.

IMG_3267.jpg
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
  • Capt_GerryCapt_Gerry Posts: 173 Officer
    I dove Juipter last week and saw around a dozen on each dive all between 70-140 feet. I shank each one I can reach!
    Changin' Latitudes
  • shafty95shafty95 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Did a few dives a couple months back I remember seeing two or three in around 5-18 ft out of jupiter when the water was a little cooler
    Jiggin-N-Giggin
  • Ludwigia73Ludwigia73 Posts: 237 Officer
    Just outfitted myself with gear for lionfish, can't wait to put a few in the frying pan. Anyone wanna go out (between West Palm and North Miami) Give me a holler, and we'll hit it. I have another week off, so weekdays are not a problem. [email protected] Please email me, WITH A PHONE NUMBER if you'd like to get out!
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Ludwigia,
    Just sent you an email.
    After I posted this thread I have not had the chance to get out. But as soon as I do, I'll be posting a report, complete with recipes and dinner photos.
    Brett
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
    What are you guys doing about the spines? Are you cutting them off at depth or placing them in some sort of puncture proof bag?
    Changin' Latitudes
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    I figure I'll just use my butt as a push pin, fit maybe 3 or 4 per cheek. That way my hands stay free so I can grab on to some fire coral to keep my position.

Seriously, I have not done this yet. But watching some videos on youtube, it seems the safest way is to bring it to the boat on the spear, and use the edge of the cooler to slide it into the box. Once home, snip all of the spines before cleaning the fish. I saw some info that says both icing the fish and putting it in hot water will neutralize the toxin - maybe true, but until I hear from a biologist I'm not taking chances...
    -John Gierach
    I'm going out tomorrow... will post a report... brett love to dive with you will call you tomorrow after the dive.
  • LiverockLiverock Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Ludwigia73 wrote: »
    I'm going out tomorrow... will post a report... brett love to dive with you will call you tomorrow after the dive.

Hey Chris, Did you do any good? I've been dying to do my part to eliminate this scourge...let alone try my hand at cooking some! Trouble is I haven't been diving in so long I wouldn't trust my equipment in a swimming pool. I will be in Key West next weekend though and will be doing plenty of snorkeling...pole spear in hand. I'll shoot you an email after the holiday, maybe tag along to cheer you on one day soon.
  • jnicholson1437jnicholson1437 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    In case you dont know here is the best way to Fillet them:

And a funny take on Peanut butter jelly time:
  • planmanplanman Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Get a lionfish specific gun and shoot them anyway. Guy in vero makes the "FRAPPER", look it up on the web.
  • planmanplanman Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    FYI -The toxins are only in the spines, not in the meat.
    Sorry for the late reply... just noticed I never replied. We went just south of commercial pier, didn't see a single one. We only did 1 tank, because I lost a piece of my gear on the way out. Some schmuck prickhead found it, and when I told him it had been mine, he said, and I quote, "you know how many other people have claimed it as theirs? Screw you, I'm keeping it". I was so pissed I scrubbed the 2nd dive. Now I have a 1 year old, so it's a little tougher to get away, but I'd like to get back into diving (I haven't been since that day!)
  • 18mav18mav Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Be careful putting them in your cooler, last summer we put a few in the cooler with the drinks and all the cokes had holes in the sides!!!!! Very sharp spines
    :fishing
  • REEF_HQREEF_HQ Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Good day fellow Lionfish enthusiasts!
    REEF is counting down the days till the next Lionfish derby! Join the lionfish hunt at the South Florida Ft. Lauderdale Lionfish Derby on June 30th 2012 For more information, visit http://www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies or register to participate at http://www.reef.org/lionfish/derbiesregistrationform.
    Over $3,000 in cash prizes!
  • launchpadlaunchpad Posts: 386 Officer
    Capt_Gerry wrote: »
    What are you guys doing about the spines? Are you cutting them off at depth or placing them in some sort of puncture proof bag?[/QUOT

Gerry, I first started to trim them UW, but got tired of wasting air playing barber shop. I have changed up to a 5 foot pole spear with a parilyzer and my lobster bag. If you shoot them in the gill from behind they feed right into the funnel and pull right off in the bag. I clip the bag about 10 feet back from the hook on my float line. it has proven to be the most efficient way to safly handle them and be productive.

FYI, I finally got poked last weekend after handling hundreds of them. IMO the sting is overrated. instant needle like sting followed up by 5-10 minutes of a slight throbbing heat. I never quit filleting.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Gerry, I first started to trim them UW, but got tired of wasting air playing barber shop. I have changed up to a 5 foot pole spear with a parilyzer and my lobster bag. If you shoot them in the gill from behind they feed right into the funnel and pull right off in the bag. I clip the bag about 10 feet back from the hook on my float line. it has proven to be the most efficient way to safly handle them and be productive.

FYI, I finally got poked last weekend after handling hundreds of them. IMO the sting is overrated. instant needle like sting followed up by 5-10 minutes of a slight throbbing heat. I never quit filleting.

I also got poked last week as well. Not sure if it was just so minor or like you said overrated. My finger tunred red, felt my heart beat in it for a few hours but all and all I forgot about it most of the time. It never stopped me from any activity and it was fine winthin hours. I'm guessing I was just lucky which I'll take any day. I have recently purchased HexArmor gloves which I purchased on ebay for next to nothing so I can aviod any chances next time. After eating these guys I will be shooting all I can get.
    Changin' Latitudes
  • Little RascalLittle Rascal Posts: 174 Officer
    They are getting bigger!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    They are getting bigger!

now that many fish are closed to fishing at least we have something to eat! Cool that they are getting big enough to bother with.
    We dropped in at 35 feet straight off dania pier, didn't see a single lobster, but saw one lionfish, BIGGER than what you're holding up!!! And me without my spear, just a tickle stick... I tickled him a bit, figured if I couldn't spear him, I'd at least **** him off a bit. He didn't seem worried about me, though!
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    Buddies tell me the groupers are eating em like hot dogs