8/6/12, Ft. Pierce/St. Lucie to West End. Input from weather gurus?

Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
Planning to go over for the week with my family. Of course (as seems to usually be the case, at least for me) about one week out the forecast materially changes almost every time I check it. I suppose that uncertainty about Invest 99L plays some (perhaps a large) role in that. I'm no weather guru, and I understand it's still a week out. But if anyone has, or gets, some better understanding about how things are looking for next week, I'd really appreciate your input. Subject to adjustments for weather we're currently planning to run the boat from St. Augustine to Ft. Pierce/St. Lucie on Sunday, 8/5, and cross on the morning of Monday, 8/6. Would also be happy to hook up (by radio, at least) with anyone else going then. Thanks.

Replies

• ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,664 Captain
    Check out this site.www.windfinder.com
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Brent, although a bit early to tell, unfortunately it looks like it may start picking up a bit on Sunday. Keep an eye on it and hope for today's weather...
  • Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
    PaulBoat wrote: »
    Brent, although a bit early to tell, unfortunately it looks like it may start picking up a bit on Sunday. Keep an eye on it and hope for today's weather...

Paul- That's what I'm seeing, too. But I guess it might be because of the tropical system? And if it is, and if it dissipates or goes south, then maybe okay? Fingers crossed. We'll see?! If someone else knows more, I'd appreciate their input. Brent
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Its not looking good on the models. All forecasts are based on models, so any opinions will be based off these as well.

No matter where the storm ends up, it looks like the pressure will still effect the area. Changes in pressure result in increased winds. Thats why its coming up tuesday now. Although 16 knots winds its not that big of a game changer IMO.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cgi?time=2012080112&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Right. I can deal with a 16 knot wind, and the direction shouldn't be a problem. The computer models I'm seeing (like Weather Underground) are continuing to suggest a pretty southerly track. But when I look at the blogs, there's a lot of chatter about it going north. Guess that's the problem with trying to skip off the top of a complicated issue that you know very little about.
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    I may be running between west end and SLI next week. As the time gets closer I'll reach out to coordinate with you, even if just by radio. No problem.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
    Yes. Looking better. Thanks.
    Well okay. I've been wondering why the forecasts have continued to look uncertain and change dramatically, depending upon when you look. Now 91L has shown itself. Any thoughts on that one?