Cedar key

If you were going there for the first time...with the wife...where would you stay? Best hotel/motel? B&B?

If I bring my Yak...where is the best place to launch for a morning of fishing trout/Reds
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,124 AG
    Old Fennimore Mill with Jigger Johns condo for a great view. Launch from his beach.
    Faraway Inn, pet friendly cottages. Easy launch right off the road there.
    Hideaway Tiki Bar and Motel. Launch right out the back door, probably want a little good water though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • tunlthymetunlthyme Posts: 66 Deckhand
    X2 Old Fennimore for the great view. Get a top floor condo so you can look out at low tide scope out where all the oyster bars are. Pretty cool but dangerous area, when tide comes up you wouldnt even know the bars are there.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,656 Captain
    Flash wrote: »
    Hideaway Tiki Bar and Motel. Launch right out the back door, probably want a little good water though.

coffeespit.gif
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,480 AG
    Do you know anything about Cedar key bed and breakfast>....They have a "special" room during the week for $89...

I would sleep in my pick up...but if I want to take the wife...a B&B might "grease the wheels of progress" in getting me over there...

Is the water very bad?...Tanin...or dirty?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    The Fennimore looks nice....decent Yak fishing in striking distance?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Cedar key bed and breakfast>....They have a "special" room during the week for $89...

I would sleep in my pick up...but if I want to take the wife...a B&B might "grease the wheels of progress" in getting me over there...

Is the water very bad?...Tanin...or dirty?

The B and B looks nice.

I have stayed at the Island Hotel, old with character. http://www.islandhotel-cedarkey.com/ My wife and I enjoyed it, and the bar. Can park your boat and trailer in the back. We have stayed in the cheap rooms 2x.

The Faraway Inn is pet friendly has grills, free kayak use and bikes. Launch just across the street, can drag your yak there.

Hit the south side of the closest Island and you will find reds.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Togam wrote: »
    coffeespit.gif

The view at low tide from the Low Key Hideaway. Bar is great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    The low key hideaway gets good reviews on trip advisor .com.....is this reliable?
    As far as the bar....one beer I'm good...two beers I'm sick. So, I'm a cheap date..LOL!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I believe it is. Of course I just go to the bar, but it seems to be well liked by the people I meet at the bar. Mention Dave, "the old film guy" when you talk to Pat or Cindy. They are also Pet friendly. If water is low, you can always hop down the street abit to the #4 bridge and launch around there, but none of the places are that far apart.
    Cedar Key Bed and Breakfast is right across from Far-away Inn. The lady who runs it is a little standoffish, but I really don't know much about the place other than that.

Do let me know where you end up and when. Just might be able to meet you all down there one night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SleepyDaveSleepyDave Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    http://www.facebook.com/papajimsplace

wife and I stay here, really nice place and perfect location and great price for what you get and the folks that own it are great. I fish at shell mound all the time, about 7 miles back towards the mainland from my kayak. When the fishing is bad at shell mound it's still one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and on a weekday you probably won't see another soul out there. The lagoons to the North are really fishy and if you have good weather and feel like making a little bit of a paddle check out preacher hole, you can see it really well on google earth. In Cedar Key I think the best option for a Kayak is to put in at pier number 4, right by the first bridge you get to on your way into town, was just there on Monday- tails were wagging even as thunder and lightening were crashing. Good luck! would love to here how your trip goes, I've been having a hard time finding the bite out there the last month or so....
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Posts: 126 Deckhand
    B and B is nice but small. I like Old Fenimore better. It is MUCH nicer since you get a full kitchen/living room/view....and a TV.....the room at the B and B didn't have a TV. This made the wife happier though. :rolleyes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,402 Admiral
    Joe, don't know much about places to stay there but Ann's is a good place to eat. Water is prolly tannin due to all the rain we have had though I haven't been up there in a coupla of weeks.
    Give me a call or pm maybe we can break bread while y'all are there.
    Art
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Thanks Art...will do.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • gitthenetgitthenet Posts: 254 Deckhand
    We just got back from there on Wednesday. We stayed at Old Fenimore Mill. It is a little pricey but the views and comfort are unbeatable. We usually stay at Park Place across from the park but all the top floors were full and I don't like to listen to noise above me all hours of the night.

My favorite place on Dock street burned and has been gutted out. It is/was Coconuts and Rusty rim - two story with an outside dock. Steamers has good food and good clams. The beer (Swamphead) was really good too.

A good burger or fish sandwich can be had at Big Deck raw bar. You can sit and watch the goings on at the boat ramp/basin there.

Bring your own drinking water also.
    gitthenet wrote: »
    We just got back from there on Wednesday. We stayed at Old Fenimore Mill. It is a little pricey but the views and comfort are unbeatable. We usually stay at Park Place across from the park but all the top floors were full and I don't like to listen to noise above me all hours of the night.

My favorite place on Dock street burned and has been gutted out. It is/was Coconuts and Rusty rim - two story with an outside dock. Steamers has good food and good clams. The beer (Swamphead) was really good too.

A good burger or fish sandwich can be had at Big Deck raw bar. You can sit and watch the goings on at the boat ramp/basin there.

Bring your own drinking water also.

I would walk over to Steamers for that Burger. Much better.

Also, water has been cleared for drinking, last I heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe you can drink it but when we checked in to Fenimore he gave us a gallon jug of distilled water to make coffee with. Said it was to make the taste better. Also, the potable water tanks were parked on Dock Street (commercial use only) and the tanker truck was parked next to the police station.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,656 Captain
    Steamers 1/2 pound burgers are good.
    I will remember that about the burgers at Steamers next time. I don't like clams very much but a good burger works for me. I ended up with the crab busque(sp) and it was good too.
    Maybe you can drink it but when we checked in to Fenimore he gave us a gallon jug of distilled water to make coffee with. Said it was to make the taste better. Also, the potable water tanks were parked on Dock Street (commercial use only) and the tanker truck was parked next to the police station.

I am sure there is some stuff still in place. I am just going off the local news report last night and one online source.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will remember that about the burgers at Steamers next time. I don't like clams very much but a good burger works for me. I ended up with the crab busque(sp) and it was good too.

If you could just get the pretzel roll that Pickled Pelican uses on their burgers and Steamers Hamburger patty, it would be perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]