Home Off Topic

I need to kill some pepper trees

BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
I have a vacant lot on one side of my house and it is overgrown with pepper trees and vines. They grow over to my side and I have to keep cutting them of they'll take over. I've tried to contact the owner but no response. I'm going to clear about 10' of his lot and cut down all the pepper trees. I don't want to pay to have the stumps ground, so is there a way to effectively kill the roots? Maybe a chemical?
Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.

Replies

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    It sounds like you only have to kill a few so simply girdle them.

Easy, quiet, effective, no herbicides or other chemicals, and can literally be done with a pen knife.

The stumps will still be there though.

I seem to remember there is a chemical that can be poured into a hole drilled into the stumps and that hastens the process.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0045.html

:grin

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    what? like black pepper trees?

**** is a pepper tree?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knotty boysknotty boys Posts: 1,898 Captain
    brazilian pepper, Randall

nasty friggin trees
    Some people are like a slinky, not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    oh...thanks

I have found diesel fuel to be quite
    and effective herbicide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Here's the specific info on Brazilian Pepper eradication.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa219
    http://www.tbep.org/pdfs/BrazilianPepper_web.pdf

It recommends herbicide on the stump if you cut the tree down, so girdling may not be enough to totally kill it.

I have done the stump and basal bark herbicide treatment as described here. The herbicide was $120 for 2-1/2 gallons, the minimum purchase. I used this: http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/pathfinderIIrp.htm
    I got it here: http://www.helenachemical.com/locations/Pages/locations.aspx
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Just chopped one down behind my house/fence that is on the "unmaintained side of the canal" and city would do nothing to help me. Half got hauled to the dump, 3+ tonnes. The other half was hanging over the canal and 'accidentally' fell in. I'm unable to get the rest out of the canal. :Sinking

Garlon 4 seems to be the best bet for killing the stumps.
    Signature
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 400 Deckhand
    What they said. Herbicide on the stumps to keep them from sprouting out and making a mess. Once you know the stumps aren't going to sprout, get a few pounds of potassium nitrate, a.k.a. saltpeter, and give the stumps a good thick coating of the stuff. It's the active ingredient in the stump removal products the big box stores sell, but is a lot cheaper. It rots them out pretty quick.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,000 Captain
    If you don't have very many to deal with the Glyphosate (Roundup) would probably be the cheapest option. Just use a strong mixture. A lot of them you might go with the Imazapyr (Arsenal). An application in the fall of the year is usually more effective for a foliar application. For site preparation for pine plantations, they usually tank mix a combination of both. Application rate would be about 16 oz. of Imazapyr and 32 oz. of Glyphosate to the acre. This will kill almost all hardwoods as well as most vines & grasses.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • EricEric Posts: 210 Officer
    Call our office 240-8907... We mulch plenty of pepper tees. We are located in n port.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    I know all about it. Actually got in trouble from SJWD for clearing them from the "wetlands" behind my house. Get a spade bit, drill a hole (slanted) and pour Roundup Concentrate in the hole. The tree will soak it up and it will kill the tree. Got to be fairly quick though, the trees sap over, so I'd not drill the holes and then leave it overnight. Drill and fill. Problem solved until you need to cut the trees.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    [video=youtube_share;cqomN9ghOQU]
    169304.GIF
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Admiral
    Any 41% solution of glyphosate (round up) will have directions for cut stump treatment on the label - needs to be applied within 10 - 15 mins of cutting. just get a squirt bottle, cut and apply
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,334 Officer
    Torodon RTU will kill any stump.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    this state has got tons of folks on unemployment and other various handouts. Give them all shovels and tell them to earn their money. No work = no money.
    We've got a lot of invasive species that can be taken care of this way.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    mikev wrote: »
    I know all about it. Actually got in trouble from SJWD for clearing them from the "wetlands" behind my house. Get a spade bit, drill a hole (slanted) and pour Roundup Concentrate in the hole. The tree will soak it up and it will kill the tree. Got to be fairly quick though, the trees sap over, so I'd not drill the holes and then leave it overnight. Drill and fill. Problem solved until you need to cut the trees.

I did the same, but filled the hole with salt. Stump sure looks dead. (I read about it here on the forum a while back).

I've got some small BP coming up that are too skinny to really drill (about 1/3"), I thinking of cutting them off and injecting some roundup with a needle. ???
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    If you don't want to mess with a bunch of nasty poisons, a handful of copper nails around the base will work wonders.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Where do you find copper nails?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Sumac Family

Nasty plant and don't remember them down there. There is a lot we called hollies w the red berry.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I found them in the plumbing department at ace i think. With the hangar straps for pipe. It has been a while. Heavy copper ground wire would work too. even if you predrilled the holes a little smaller than the wire.

I used 5 or 6 to ring the base of a stubborn one in our yard, killed it and it never came back. (we had a dog with a run next to it and didn't want to poison him)
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    I did the same, but filled the hole with salt. Stump sure looks dead. (I read about it here on the forum a while back).

I've got some small BP coming up that are too skinny to really drill (about 1/3"), I thinking of cutting them off and injecting some roundup with a needle. ???
    Salt will follow water, you can do a alot a damage to your property doing that.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Cane Pole wrote: »

If they're that small, probably better off just pulling it up. If you can't pull it up, just drill the stump and add the Roundup Concentrate to it.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Diesel truck + huge rope+ brazillian pepper= no more brazillian pepper.
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Diesel truck + huge rope+ brazillian pepper= no more brazillian pepper.

I cut down a few on my property when I purchased it. I pulled the stumps w/ my F250 (gas). The main root goes straight down, so I puleed it over but still had to cut the root. PIA.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Any 41% solution of glyphosate (round up) will have directions for cut stump treatment on the label - needs to be applied within 10 - 15 mins of cutting. just get a squirt bottle, cut and apply

Garlon4 blocks other proteins than glyphosate and works a bit better on peppers but it's costly. Amazapyr will leach and kill other vegetation in short order - its also used as a "sterilizer" by professionals in a limited capacity. Only a tool would use diesel to kill vegetation. A drilled hole full of table salt will work too and without risking the environment. Take Hicks advice and read the glyphosate label for cut stump application. Read the label, people. Why do it the hard way?