What's the best fluke?

Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,947 Captain
I am using Zoom "Super Flukes" and having great success with a 5/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook, but the rubber of the fluke is very soft, and it gets easily destroyed in heavy cover or when catching like a dozen bass in a row, which happens pretty much every time I fish :)

Anyway, is there a brand that holds up better? I know they're only 3 bucks a bag but it's annoying to have to keep replacing my bait all the time.

Replies

• Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Bitters bait and tackle (google it) they make the exact same thing in a million different colors and it's pretty tough.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    zman jerkbaits are tough.

bass2bucks, I saw that video of you in Bitters , do they sell Dobyns rods ? I can't find a brick and mortar store that has them...
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 374 Moderator
    Try a little shot of Super Glue where the hook enters the front of the bait. Helps keep the fluke from getting ripped down.

Let's see, three bucks a bag, 10 Flukes per bag ... a dozen bass per lure... that's like 2 1/2 cents per bass! Cheaper than bluegill crickets!

ZManns are indestructible but also don't sink, so you'll need a weighted hook, if you want that characteristic.
    Jeff Weakley
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,947 Captain
    I wonder if I have any super glue laying around, might have to try that method since I like just about everything else about the Zoom baits. You are right though Jeff, they're pretty cheap, 3 bucks for 10 is cheaper than some live bait!
    this stuff was designed specially for soft plastics...regular old super glue is brittle.

Mend-It Glue
  • adcadc Posts: 113 Officer
    Strike King Zulu. It's their Redfish Magic line. They're made from the same 3x material as their glass minnows. I've had blues maul those things while fishing for trout and they stand up to it. Repeatedly. The redfish magic colors are kinda limited but they have a fresh water variety also. Called a ZTOO, I think?
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Bruiser Baits makes on called Rad Shad that is definitely tougher. Has a lot more action in my opinion too. I met a guy recently who was talking about Bruiser Baits so I decided to try their swim baits and the Rad Shad. Their claim to fame, so to speak, is their flipping and pitching baits. Scott Martin used them and has won with them and I believe someone set a record stringer using one of their baits on the Elite tour.

Anyway, it is a local guy (West Palm Beach) so I've been buying them to support the local business owner. I dont know who he is but his baits are good. I caught about 4 on a Rad Shad yesterday and it is still fine. The rubber is a bit firmer. The angles are different than the typical fluke type bait so it has a more radical action. Little twitches create a good amount of jump. A few places sell them locally or you can get them on line. Just google Bruiser Baits.
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    zman jerkbaits are tough.

bass2bucks, I saw that video of you in Bitters , do they sell Dobyns rods ? I can't find a brick and mortar store that has them...

I think they do actually. I haven't used a Dobyns yet but have heard great reviews on them. Definitely going to buy one in the future.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 374 Moderator
    DOA makes Flukes, too, in the CAL lineup; they just call 'em Jerkbaits. A lil more durable than the Zooms.
    Berkley has a bunch of different kinds.

Where can we get some of those Bruiser Baits? Anyone got a picture?

Mend-It... Sweet stuff!
    Jeff Weakley
    FSJeff wrote: »

http://bruiserbaits.com/products/swimming/rad-shad/

On Facebook too.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/BruiserBaits
    FSJeff wrote: »
    DOA makes Flukes, too, in the CAL lineup; they just call 'em Jerkbaits. A lil more durable than the Zooms.
    Berkley has a bunch of different kinds.

Mend-It... Sweet stuff!

Jeff , bruiser baits intruder is the bait Brandon McMillan flipped in Okeechobee to win all of that FLW money last year.

You don't have to buy 8 at a time , they will sell you bags of 100 or whatever.

Intruder

QJaV4.png
    I would definitely try the Rad Shad before you buy 100 though. I like it but it has a bit different action that not all will like. The Intruder and Crazy Craw on the other hand are solid bets. Obviously someone is winning a bunch of money with them. I've been using the Super Swimmer (paddle tail swim bati) and have caught fish with it every single time I've used it.
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    A dozen bass in a row on one fluke? Why arr you complaining? They are like 3-4$ a bag.

"Fu%#, fight or go for your gun" - unknown
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    fav Fluke Aint no Fluke the "fish" will let you know every color works on it's given day/nite
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • jbannon62jbannon62 Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Ya zoom flukes watermelon been my best catcher..They do fall apart easy --yet compared to my saltwater fishing this is easy on me...
  • Captain HookCaptain Hook Posts: 107 Officer
    Z man is the best plastic bait I have found. Extremely stretchy and almost indestructable.
    THey are a bit expensive but one bait will last for 3 or 4 days worth of fishing. Plus they have a ton of colors.