Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bodine, foo, other BGE owners

Have you ever had a bag of charcoal that was very smokey? Last three times I've cooked on mine the steaks, and burgers turned out very smokey tasting. I always buy my lump from Publix, but never had a problem before.

Replies

• kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 644 Officer
    Never had that problem. I sometimes get a residual smoke from chips left in the bottom from prior
    cookings. I usually just buy the BGE charcoal since it's available close to me and the price is not
    much different from the generics. I seem to get a cleaner burn from it. Just my $.02
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer
    Haven't made the switch to the BGE yet but will when my current smoker/grill has to be replaced which will probably be next summer. I have to friends that have them though and one will only use BGE charcoal and the other will use BGE or the Royal Oak lump charcoal.

I've used a lot of lump charcoal and the only brand I know I will not buy again is Kingsford brand. For some reason it sparked and popped really bad. I haven't tried Publix brand before.
    Can't never did try!
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,869 Captain
    I've noticed the Publix lump charcoal has not been up to par lately. It smells like burning oil/plastic.... left a poor taste on the meat.

I don't own a BGE, but either way, that Publix charcoal changed in the last year and I no longer purchase it. It used to burn much cleaner.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I've noticed the Publix lump charcoal has not been up to par lately. It smells like burning oil/plastic.... left a poor taste on the meat.

Publix charcoal changed in the last year and I no longer purchase it. It used to burn much cleaner.

Agree 1000%....was buying it out of convenience but no more!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,020 Captain
    BGE charcoal is more expensive here, I use Royal Oak.
    Stay away from all bargain brands, like Cowboy. Off brands
    may contain plywood and scraps. Another thing to consider is the
    size of the lumps, you need a fair amount of big and medium pieces to go
    on the bottom of your pile, use the small stuff on top, cheap lump has a lot more
    small pieces in it.
    F the feds
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 552 Officer
    I haven't used Publix brand, but have used other brands and haven't noticed a problem. I mostly use the BGE charcoal when available. And with the BGE I like being able to shut that thing down at the end of cooking to reuse the charcoal another time.
    od
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,114 Captain
    Publix brand has been an issue for me recently - I've stopped using it in the BGE. Seems to have a lot more small pieces that don't start or burn well. Just tried a bag of True 'Cue from Home Depot and had excellent results.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I haven't used Publix brand in quite some time so I can't give you an recent feedback. I've been trying some different brands and need to get a new bag. Cowboy seems to be OK for me but it does have some misc trash in it. I've also tried Wicked <Something - can't remember> and it seems to have a TON of large pieces, and I mean LARGE lumps, as in considerably larger than a softball! And Bodine's right - not dropping that kind of coin on BGE charcoal. That's just plain ol' highway robbery!

Bodine - where do you get your Royal Oak?
  • HewesManHewesMan Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    The Wal Mart off of Kerry Forest almost always has it. RO is great especially for the price.
    HewesMan wrote: »
    The Wal Mart off of Kerry Forest almost always has it. RO is great especially for the price.

Problem - 17 miles 1 way from the house and I'm seldom that far north. I'll check some of the other places closer to home.
    I last used the Wicked Good Charcoal Weekend Warrior Blend - had to look it up on the nakedwhiz link above.
    I get my royal oak at Wmart, buy 3 bags at a time as they are out sometimes.
    Push come to shove, pench a penny always has royal oak in stock, but it is a bit more there.
    F the feds
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,114 Captain
    JKP wrote: »
    Publix brand has been an issue for me recently - I've stopped using it in the BGE. Seems to have a lot more small pieces that don't start or burn well. Just tried a bag of True 'Cue from Home Depot and had excellent results.

I retract my True 'Cue recommendation. Second bag was used for some longer cooks and the flavor imparted by the smoke is not good. It produced a thick lasting smoke which is OK, but the flavor is not good. I had high hopes for this stuff because it has lots of big pieces in each bag.

The hunt continues for a stable source of good BGE lump charcoal in Tallahassee.
    Went to Wmart to buy Mobile 1 today, they had royal oak in stock.
    Pench a Penny always has royal oak, and BGE lump in stock.
    You can order the lumps in the link above from emaxwell, and UPS will bring it to your door.
    F the feds
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    JKP wrote: »
    I retract my True 'Cue recommendation. Second bag was used for some longer cooks and the flavor imparted by the smoke is not good. It produced a thick lasting smoke which is OK, but the flavor is not good. I had high hopes for this stuff because it has lots of big pieces in each bag.

The hunt continues for a stable source of good BGE lump charcoal in Tallahassee.
    Yeah, lump size hasn't been the problem. Smell/taste has been terrible. No more Publix lump for me!!
    Looking at the Royal Oak Review page - Interesting find...
    Other Information

Other brands made by Royal Oak: Chuckwagon, Grill Time, Big Green Egg, Real Flavor (Wal*Mart), Wegmans, Best Choice, and Nature-Glo