Bats in my Boat

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,378 Captain
It's been a while since I've been able to use the boat on account of my broken finger. But yesterday I had them take it out of the shed at Riverhaven to do a little cleanup. After washing down the deck, this poor guy crawled out of a scupper and drowned:

This other little guy survived by scrutching into the other scupper and blocking the water:

I left him alone, but if he doesn't find a better place to hide before the next time I use the boat I'm going to need a bat extractor. :huh

And yep, the black droppings are bat #hit. :puke

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 937 Officer
    OK, now we all know your secret bait.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    Hmmm. I thought belfry would be in the thread title somewhere, Doc. th_tooth.gif
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,653 Captain
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,702 Moderator
    They need to build a bat house there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,407 Captain
    this poor guy crawled out of a scupper and drowned:

I already regret asking this...but how did he drown after he crawled out?? You didn't try mouth to bat resuscitation?
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    capt louie wrote: »
    They need to build a bat house there.

Yeah, 'cause it worked so well in Cayo Hueso.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Those things are nasty
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 425 Deckhand
    So now the truth is revealed...

Doc "Bruce Wayne" Stressor searching for grouper habitat on the Bat Sounder at 120 mph.

Doc and Kyle (AKA Robin) backing down on a secret rock pile.
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 420 Deckhand
    So if someone says you don't know bat#hit about something you have pics to prove you do know bat#hit!!!!
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Bats eat a lot of misquitos. But I think OFF might be a bit more convienent.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,425 Officer
    I'd go bat chit crazy on'em
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    I've got a couple of extra drain plugs that you can have. Much better for offshore than stuffing bats in there. :Sinking

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

• CampCamp Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Doc -
    im sent
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    butchbal wrote: »
    So now the truth is revealed...

Doc "Bruce Wayne" Stressor searching for grouper habitat on the Bat Sounder at 120 mph.

Doc and Kyle (AKA Robin) backing down on a secret rock pile.

:funnypost:rotflmao

Surely that is either a sign of good luck or a sign of bad luck. There has got to be some old salt superstition about bats on the boat.:huh
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,378 Captain
    Found somewhere on the internet:
    The bat refers to coming away from the old.. Facing our fears. It challenges you to deal with things in front of you now. After the challenges and fears are faced, you can then look for better things ahead. Most of the old superstitions about bats are kind of scary though…

1507: Whan one seeth plente of backes flee aboute a house it is a grete synge that fyre shall be put in it shortly.

1879: Occasionally a bat will come into the sitting-room, should the doors be left open on a warm summer evening. This the old folks think an evil omen, and still worse if .. it should chance to knock against the candle and overturn or put it out.

I guess it means that I must overcome my fear of getting old or that my boat is going to burn down. :huh
    I guess it means that I must overcome my fear of getting old or that my boat is going to burn down. :huh

I guess it also means that you'll be getting some new fishing clothes now.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,204 Admiral
    Thanks for not killing it, bats are cool as hell and extremely useful animals. If the one survives I doubt he will be back. I have heard of them getting into the air vent on the motor cowlings too. They like tight dark warm spaces.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    personal mosquito control???