Cedar Key 7/27 Fish ID needed

Well Cherie and I hit the ramp for a real test with the boat. Carb issues have really been a problem, but our first test worked out good so after sitting a week, we arrived at the ramp early. Boy you can tell Chuck (mtn.man) is no longer around. Boats moored almost the full length of the dock with hardly a place to tie up when you launched.
At any rate, boat started like a charm and we idled out to a bit more wind that we wanted. With water high we hit the east side of Atsena Otie to try for some reds. Finally got a nice little hit and pulled in this keeper flounder.

After a couple more drifts with Cher catching two puppy Reds and me getting a hit from another flounder, which didn't make it to the boat :banghead, we decided to move out to deeper water.

We started catching these fish, not sure what they were?? Maybe Fishin Rod and Poppadock can offer some insight :huh

I even managed to add one to the cooler. Lots of grass out there. Caught alot of smaller ones of these fish, along with grunts, sea bass, ladyfish, flounder, bluefish, sharks and a couple small reds.

With the tide moving out and we drove around a bit to see how the boat would do. Ran great. Hopefully we will get back out there soon again and try to catch more of these strange fish. :grin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Great report!

You should report those fish to the University and save the carcass, I believe we have a new species on our hands.
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    It's definately a new species to Flash... Ruckus, Thad and I hit Waca on Friday morning and it was breezy. Ran straight out from eleven prong and proceeded to fill the live well with a limit of those same strange fish. They were a little noise shy but after we figured out they didn't want the loud aggressive pop of the CT's and you just needed to do a slow forward pull they would nail it on the fall, everything just fell in to place. Too much grass in the water to throw lures, CT's were the ticket.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    e5106554.jpg
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,124 AG
    GT Fish wrote: »
    e5106554.jpg

no, no, no. Flash was happy the boat ran great !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Lmao
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    no, no, no. Flash was happy the boat ran great !!!
    :full:grin
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,655 Captain
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    glad to see your back on the water Flash, and those look like some tasty fish at least. Let me know how they are for table fair.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice report Flasheroo , looks like a sauger I used to catch when I fished Ky Lake :hail
  • poppadockpoppadock Posts: 140 Officer
    That's called a toothed carp , definitely not edible, but make good pets.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Hey if the boat was running Great
    and the weather was nice that was
    2/3 the battle fish for dinner on top of
    that (Nice Day Indeed)
    Good to see you both reporting
    on Big bend action again:beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,533 Captain
    You better take them up to the club, them boys will eat any and all strange fish....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Good job Flash! We had similar luck (minus the flounder) on Thursday and Friday.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 940 Officer
    Nice mystery fish. I've heard the the head is the only edible part. LOL

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,702 Moderator
    Good that the boat is running.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Good to see you & Cherie out having fun fishing.
    Brian