Miles for grouper fishing out of crystal river

Coming down from the east coast, to crystal river the first week of august. How many miles to i need to go before i should start looking for grouper. And how many feet would that be? Any help would be appreciated. Oh and of course we will be scalloping with the pack to!

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,036 Officer
    PM sent.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Jus RightJus Right Posts: 166 Officer
    Give this a thought, if you haven't been out over there before and don't know what to look for or your boat uses a lot of fuel, send troutman57 a message on here. He is about 15 min from crystal river and will put you on a mess of fish and do all the dirty work for you. It was actually cheaper for us to go with him then go in my dads 26' sea swirl with 2 150s after fuel, bait
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    read my post here under "how far offshore", fishermen loged in with good info to fish by! If you want to catch insted of fish, go with the guide. : )
  • flatschanceflatschance Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I have been doing good in 20 to 30ft that is 20 to 30 miles ( Grouper Hunter)
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    What depth you find grouper at depends upon the knowlege of who you are going out with , was out a couple weeks ago with local Non Commercial fisherman and we caught the Gag limit for three people in less than 20ft of water, in Three hour time span, he knew where he was at and the bottom was right to hold fish, no doubt had done some prior homework and was now being paid back. Oh 17ft was just over Nine miles out.

Few years back I trolled barge canal/coal canal using Manns stretch 12//18//25 had decent luck , how ever it can be a long boring dull day if you cant catch any thing but floating Grass
  • Anything OutdoorsAnything Outdoors Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I was out on Saturday a little south of Crystal River and found a ton of Red Grouper hanging in about 50-60 ft of water which for me was about 36 miles West of Hernando Beach.

Good Luck!!!