Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Reman Engines ??

When Child Bride and I got together she had/has a 1982 Dodge Rampage that she bought off the show room floor in Fort Worth all those years ago. She does not drive it much as for the most part I discourage it, mainly because I don't know if it's gonna' get her back to the house. It leaks from every where. It has 144K miles, which for it's age is not bad. Recently had the gas tank replaced, it was leaking in the basement garage. No big deal, but got me to thinking. Why not go ahead a get her little truck seriously road worthy.

So the question. Does anybody have experience w/ buying and using a remanufactured engine. Jasper does not do the 2.2L L4 Dodge engines, already checked, however there are several that do. The prices are all about the same. What it comes down to is are any of the others better or worse than the others, or are they all selling the same engines? Oh, this is just step one of this project. Next the AC, driver side floor panel. This is going to be fun.

tk

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    bought one for my daughters Infinity G20, shipped over and installed for 1500.......the dang thing ran great!
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    My experiences were bad with remanufactured engines over the years.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,268 Admiral
    Find a local rebuilder with a good reputation. If you were in S. ga. I could help you. Jasper does have a good name as far as a national rebuilder. Getting warranty if something goes bad is a big issue with chain store rebuilders ( too many hands to have to go through). Carquest has a program, if we can't rebuild it in our shop, we leave it alone.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    ATK/ LKQ/POWERTORQUE/GROOME all come from a company ot of texas called AER. They also build for FORD. I checked on them for u and that engine isnt available any more through them. Jasper is by far a better company and engine.Jaspers warranty is 2nd to none and they can do a custom build for u.(PRICEY!) Slough hit it dead on.You should find a reputable local guy and go with that.U can use jaspers website as a tool to find their list of preferred installers and that should help u find someone up for the job. 500.00 dollar saddle for a 20.00 dollar horse comes to mind:)
    GOOD LUCK
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Every Jasper we ever bought had problems. I think their problems lay in the attempt to mass produce. I would also look for a local with a good reputation.