Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Head boat question

micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
Are they supposed to vent fish before throwing them back over? I know a rec boat is required to have a vent tool on board but this head boat stuff is all new to me. Reason I ask is because at one stop I think I counted around 30, 12-15" red snaper floating/dead that were released just on our side of the boat. I asked the question but never got a true clear answer. It was a shame looking at all of those wasted fish :banghead
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    yes, The Deck Hands vent and release the fish... traditionally...

A novice angler generally won't vent the fish... or do it incorrectly...

So the deck hands are given the task.
    God, save the South!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    They should vent the fish. I would imagine they probably thought themselves "too busy" to bother with venting fish so they just dehooked and tossed overboard since it does take some care to vent and not end up with a needle in your hand. Means they were lazy and I'd consider that "Wanton and Willful Waste"
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    omegafoo wrote: »
    They should vent the fish. I would imagine they probably thought themselves "too busy" to bother with venting fish so they just dehooked and tossed overboard since it does take some care to vent and not end up with a needle in your hand. Means they were lazy and I'd consider that "Wanton and Willful Waste"

Me too.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    PCB Head boat for ya...all about the $$$$

Get em on, slow boat ride, drop hook, slow boat ride back - chaching
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    omegafoo wrote: »

Exactly!