Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Most responsible way to sell firearms?

phan000phan000 Junior MemberPosts: 13 Greenhorn
I have a young child in the house and no longer want to have firearms around. I am interested in selling them, but want to make sure I do this in a lawful manner. Any suggestions?

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Senior Member Palm BayPosts: 1,395 Officer
    Just place an add here on the appropriate forum. When someone calls tell them nicely that you cannot sell to a convicted felon or minor and that you have a police officer friend who will check. Hopefully that will keep the bad guys away. You can legally sell to non-felon FL residents, but not to non-residents, either US or alien; always ask for a driver's license and record the info; if they won't give you a license don't sell to them. Otherwise, take the guns to a gunshop, put them on consignment and they'll take care of the Instant Check, but you'll have to pay a percentage of the sales price. Don't go to a pawn shop!
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Senior Member Posts: 149 Deckhand
    "You can legally sell to non-felon FL residents, but not to non-residents, either US or alien"

Where did this info come from fish stix? Why would he not be able to sell to a legal non resident of FL? I think any legal US citizen could legaly purchase firearms from an individual, shipping is a no-go unless shipped from and to a FFL holder.

OP, you can put them on Gunbroker.com and get a fair price for most of them, just use your local gun shop to ship them to the buyer. It is true that you should not sell to a convicted felon and all the other classes of people mentioned but it is not the sellers responsibility. You can ask the question and based on the answer given sell or not sell. But after you ask if the person is a convicted felon , they answer no, the liability falls on the buyer not the seller.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Senior Member Palm BayPosts: 1,395 Officer
    Read it and weep:
    Federal Firearms Regulations; The Gun Control Act of 1968; Section 922 Unlawful Acts; paragraph a (5):
    "it shall be unlawful for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than the licensees listed above) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in the state in which the transferor resides.........." [end quote].

The only exceptions deal with transferring firearms to persons who are inheriting the firearms due to the bequest of a deceased relative or the rental of firearms for legal usage like hunting, target shooting, to persons who are otherwise legally entitled to possess firearms.

If you are a legally entitled person you can buy long guns (shotguns and rifles) in another state, but only from a licensed dealer, collector, manufacturer, etc and for sporting purposes. For example; you go to Idaho elk hunting and the airline loses your firearms; you can purchase a rifle from a licensed dealer; no handguns.

Additionally, if you sell a firearm to a resident of another state via Gunbroker etc. you are allowed to ship it yourself but you must ship it to a Licensed Dealer in the buyers state of residence. You do not have to have your local FFL ship it for you. You must have in hand a current signed copy of the receiving dealers Federal Firearms License when you take the package to the Post Office (a faxed copy is OK). They can ask for it, but most P.O. employees don't know enough to ask! If you ship the firearm yourself make a copy of the Fed. Firearms Regs and take it with you to the Post Office so you can point out the appropriate regs to them; same goes for their own postal regs; make a copy (available online) and take it with you. Postal regs require that the package containing the firearm must NOT be marked as containing firearms. I've been on the receiving end of postal theft; bought a rifle on Gunbroker, the seller shipped it and my FFL here received an empty box, nicely retaped to look unopened. The seller had it insured and sent me a refund immediately then dealt with the Post Office himself. It was the second rifle the seller had stolen by a P.O. employee on the same day. The thief is now on a long vacation in a Federal prison. Do not violate Federal Gun laws!!!!!!!!
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Senior Member Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Well there you go. Sure didnt know that. Thanks for the info.

Sa as long ans the "buyer" has an ffl the state line limitations are invalid. correct?
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Senior Member Homosassa, FlPosts: 270 Officer
    Buy a gun safe instead of selling your guns. Why would you ever purposely disarm yourself? Are your gonna remove all your knives from your house also? Teach your children about guns and knives, so they know how to handle them safely.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • oldcraboldcrab Junior Member OcalaPosts: 29 Deckhand
    :Agree
    Buy a gun safe instead of selling your guns. Why would you ever purposely disarm yourself? Are your gonna remove all your knives from your house also? Teach your children about guns and knives, so they know how to handle them safely.