Home Ask the Law!

Suspicious people on the water . Who do you call?

Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,964 Captain
I keep my boat on the Inter coastal waterway on a lift. Recently several boats have been burglarized. Mostly electronics and lower units and we all think the thieves are coming by boat. My boy's fish off the dock where the boat is and have noticed suspicious boaters lurking around in small boats. Last night a boat approached with no running lights on ,idled pretty close , saw one of my boys and hauled butt. This was at 2 am. I told them to call the police next time but who do they call? CG,FWC or 911?

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    All 911 first and then call FWC. since you will probably get put on hold with FWC while they figure out what to do.
    Giimoozaabi
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,668 Captain
    Sounds suspicious to me. If the boat had no lights on,2am and looking suspicious they probably are. Since no lights on I would throw sinkers near there boat and wait for a reaction. If they start yelling I would say i didn't see you sincwe you have no running light on. Call 911 and C.G. Good luck and make sure to check your boat insurance.
  • BigredoneBigredone Posts: 57 Deckhand
    A cell phone for 911 and a good spot light to identify the type boat. Then at least whichever agency responds will have something to go on.
  • CDill9CDill9 Posts: 108 Officer
    Call the CG, if you have their phone number handy they will prob respond the fastest and be able to catch them on the water if 911 comes they will just scare them off. Once the CG gets on scene they will prob hold them for the locals or at least cite them for no nav lights and hopefully put them on a look out list.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    Next Level wrote: »
    I keep my boat on the Inter coastal waterway on a lift. Recently several boats have been burglarized. Mostly electronics and lower units and we all think the thieves are coming by boat. My boy's fish off the dock where the boat is and have noticed suspicious boaters lurking around in small boats. Last night a boat approached with no running lights on ,idled pretty close , saw one of my boys and hauled butt. This was at 2 am. I told them to call the police next time but who do they call? CG,FWC or 911?

First of all, Its the INTRACOSTAL waterway. Just sayin.
    Dont call me, I'll call you.
  • shempshemp Posts: 617 Officer
    get the boat type and if possible FL#s. I'd call police non-emergency # as the guys weren't actually in commission of a crime. I'd tell the person on the line what you're seeing/saw and tell them you have a tip as to the guilty party in several felony burglaries.

I idle around docks at 2am, usually with lights on though...depending on how they 'hauled butt' they could've been docklight fishing, or else scoping your boat. Maybe a motion detector light or some such other way to be warned if somebody's near your dock?
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    I would call Sam Colt.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh