Home General Freshwater Fishing

Scents!?

lookinlookin Posts: 1,377 Officer
I've never used them, but after watching bass and gar approach and then bail on my plastics this week...and plenty of other times in the past....I'm thinking I may try some scent on them.

What say y'all?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy

Replies

• james 14james 14 Posts: 3,078 Moderator
    Byron Velvick was using a scent on his swimbait when he won the tourney on Clear Lake this year. He said the fish had a tendency to follow the bait and the scent gave it more appeal than all of the rubber smelling swimbaits the fish were used to seeing. I think I'm gonna start using something on my baits and may look for the stuff he was using that was a little stickier and held to the bait longer. I've gotten back into fishing tourneys this year and any little edge can make the difference when looking for just one or two more bites.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,377 Officer
    It could have just been one of those things where they didn't like what they saw, but the fish were active. I was fishing from a dock and had good visibility. I had two decent bass trailing it on one cast, a gar that moved quick on it on another cast and didn't take, and a school of 6-7 bass (no bs) that I tossed in front of that didn't take...I start to wonder if scent would've helped. I've had some luck on the same fish with different plastics at different times of day, but not with this particular set up...it usually gets good strikes at prime time though.

G'luck with the tourneys. :Rockon
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    I saw Velvick using that scent. That is the kind you want that you rub on. Those spray ones last only a short time. I had a buddy that bought some garlic flavor that he rubbed on his worms and he swore by it. It may make the bass strike or it may turn him off. No way to really know for sure. Maybe it helps in masking human scent. I have bought many scents over the years but haven't really noticed a difference in the amount of fish caught while using scent or not using scent. I would think it would work best on slow moving lures like worms, jigs etc and in water that may be off-color as bass may use their scent glands more to locate bait. I think if putting on scent gives you more confidence, then get some and use it.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 735 Officer
    JJ's Magic or Juiced up Baits have some great scents.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 735 Officer
    which scent was Byron using?
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    lookin wrote: »
    I've never used them, but after watching bass and gar approach and then bail on my plastics this week...and plenty of other times in the past....I'm thinking I may try some scent on them.

What say y'all?

I'd say scents are worth a shot, ive been meaning to try out some different ones myself.

You probably already know this but just in case, for clearer water i like using natural-looking lures/colors and lighter line or flourocarbon leader w/braid. Some of my favorite lures are yamamoto senko imitations, flukes, swimbaits, and sometimes crankbaits. theres a ton more out there though
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,377 Officer
    Thanks. This was with a smokin shad colored fluke and working it slow.

Good point about retrieval speed, Bassin. I gave it some harder jerks when trying to get that gar or school to strike.

Yes, Remote - clear water and I do use mostly natural colors and have done okay. Small public lake that gets fished hard. I have most luck with 6-8" curly tail worms that are lighter in color and not too beefy. Rigged weightless so they fall nice and slow. Fluke is rigged weightless on a offset shank 3/0 for neutral bouyancy that gives it a nice darting action. I was using Suffix 10lb fleuro or mono on this rig. Maybe I should drop down to like 6 lb given the clarity. The sun was shining this particular day.
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    lookin wrote: »
    It could have just been one of those things where they didn't like what they saw, but the fish were active. I was fishing from a dock and had good visibility. I had two decent bass trailing it on one cast, a gar that moved quick on it on another cast and didn't take, and a school of 6-7 bass (no bs) that I tossed in front of that didn't take...I start to wonder if scent would've helped. I've had some luck on the same fish with different plastics at different times of day, but not with this particular set up...it usually gets good strikes at prime time though.

G'luck with the tourneys. :Rockon

I wouldn't think the scents would hurt you but there are other factors to consider. If the fish were acting that way, I would change a few things up:

Color

Lighter Line

Downsize Baits

Change Baits: Try rigging a senko wacky style (great for slow days). Throw a crankbait and if the fish follow it, stop it in their face and they will eat out of reaction. Jerk Bait will do the same type thing. I would do all of those before I went out and bought scent, but that is just me. I have done all of this and still had the fish not bite at times...
  • gotfishyfingers?gotfishyfingers? Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Gar will only track your soft plastics, very rarely do they strike it imho. If you see a Bass tracking your soft plastic, stop your retrieval and let the the bait sink a foot or two. 9 times out of 10 they will inhale it.
  • seachasseachas Posts: 66 Deckhand
    i use em redfishing and they work great
  • BmillerBmiller Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I heard Megastrike works good. Stinks like a pigs butt