Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Bass Worm Fly

ghostghost Posts: 40 Deckhand
I've heard of a worm fly for bass in Florida. Any suggestions?
I read Florida Fly Fishing :cool:

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Seems like a really long rabbit strip in your favorite color would do the trick.
    .......Rick
  • ChrisRChrisR Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I've furled estaz to make worm flies for bass. They are more like Senko's than a traditional worm, and they cast terribly, but they work.
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    San Juan's Worm? I know bass pro sells a worm looking fly that's really neat and the staff have told me that it's a kick A** fly, but I rather tie them my self.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I am no champ fly tier, but I take a bunny strip and lash it to a hook. Then I palmer the bunny and glue some doll eyes on it. It vibrates and it is sexy slinky in the water. The bass and the occaisonal mud fish seem to really dig it. If you find palmering the bunny hard, I have also used estaz, palmered chenille and the traditional feather with similar result.
    Only problem I have had with the fly is durability but hey that is what supporting the local tackle shop is all about!
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Great video on the net for bunny leach. The tier palmers cross cut bunny strip for the body ahead of conventinal bunny strip. I caught some good bass on it in black. I tied it weighted and unweighted, like unweighted better but let conditions dictate.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    There's no profile I can think of that's easier to duplicate than that of a plastic worm. Just some food for thought, I have a lake behind my house that comes in pretty handy when it's time to tank test my creations. I watch how they track through the water, how they turn over, and how different materials change the profile and they way it moves. I regularly catch small largemouth on 10" flies. I'm not saying you guys should start targeting lmb's with 10wt's and 5/0 flatwings, but it will work. I've yet to find a species that's as indesrciminate and greedy as a largemouth. Think about what you need the fly to do and go from there.
  • ghostghost Posts: 40 Deckhand