Need tips/advice for Fishing out of Wiggin's Pass in July

1st of all, I hope everyone had a nice Father's Day!

This year we plan to go to Vanderbilt beach in July & I will be taking my 21ft cc along, as we got a place on the water with a private dock...

I'd like to fish at least 5-6 times on the trip with & without the kids and I'm looking for ANY pointers as far as tackle, bait, spots/charts, tides to fish, etc....

Done a little reading & it looks like the targeted species would include: Tarpon, Snook, Permit, Pompano, Cobia, Grouper, Snapper, Span. Mack & Kingfish. I will have a bait pen on hand as well...which will be nice.

How far is the run offshore for a chance at some Snapper & Grouper? Can I simply grab an FS chart & try the wrecks/artificial reefs, etc...I've read that there are some of these 15-20 miles out......

What about Cobia, Permit & Pompano? Is trolling effective at all in the area & if so, at what depth should I consider doing so?

Don't want to ask too many questions, just lookin to make the best of it & make some good memories with some cold lagers in between ;)

Thanks in advance for any help:fishing

Replies

• alloutallout Posts: 197 Deckhand
    ok first thing you need to do is always watch the weather/sea with weather.gov if your gonna try to make a run offshore in a 21ft boat. There are some (not many) posted reef out of wiggins like clam pass/wiggins 5 mile ect these are good for grunts gags maks ect. I prefer to troll them for gags and then bottom fish. After that there are sporatic spot of "LIVE" bottom to be found but best IMOP seem to be atleast 20 out which tend to hold lanes and red grouper. hint when you find the lanes there will def be red grouper around. As for cobia they seem pretty sporatic too and I have not yet found any permit or pompano but then again I am not really looking for them either lol
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Inshore action is best in the early morning and turns off in the afternoon and picks back up in the eve . Snook , Reds , and Trout morning bite , Trout afternoon bite , and Tarpon , Snook , and Reds in the eves . Offshore between 1 and 7 miles there shoud be pleanty of Spanny Macs around with Kings and Sharks chasing them , keep a eye out for Cobias aswell , Snappers under the schools when over live bottom . Deep offshore listen to Allout he has the Grouper diled in . Keep a close eye on the weather in the afternoon , wind chop here is nasty .
  • rgarryrgarry Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Go early, the storms tend to head east to west. If you are offshore and you see the storm clouds.......you should have headed in 2 hrs before. I fish most jigs tipped with shrimp but throw a butterflied jack over and you will have a shark in about 30". Snook will run the beach early in am. Spanish Mackeral will be fun for the kids and they are everywhere. Please heed the warning about the storms and if you live in Florida than I apologize for telling you what you know.
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    You can not go wrong with the spanish macks...the kids will love it.
  • StealthStealth Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I can't thank you guys enough for your reponses! I should've mentioned that the boat is a Sailfish 21ft cc....it eats small-medium sized, nasty chop for breakfast ;)
    I'll keep an eye on the weather as I always do before venturing offshore on the east coast....the gulf side seems to have a slightly different rain/storm pattern in the summertime in that it comes through earlier in the day. Anyways, thanks again for the info & I will make sure to post a report when I get back :)

Happy 4th of July!!! Be safe & stay cool :USA:driver:
  • NervousWreckNervousWreck Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    We have been getting permit on any and all big structure, even 3 miles out. Bring 3 or 4 crabs, from a good bait shack. Just use 1 at a time while fishing for other stuff. It's the only bait to use, and the fight of a lifetime, 30 lb. leader, no swivels, and a good tide is a must.