Home Ask the Law!

Driving in my car with a big knife???

WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 439 Deckhand
I have a 10 inch knife in my car and I was wondering if I can conceal it under my seat or under some extra clothing? I am tired of worrying if I need to expose it. I know you have to have the gun out or in the box, but I was wondering what about knives? Thanks for any help, just want to follow the law,

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Why don't you get a CWP. Then you won't have to worry about how or what you carry.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Hmmmm ... I generally carry a large machete behind the seat of my truck. Might be considered a weapon. Sometimes an axe or hatchet. Tire irons, nylon tie straps with big metal hooks, ropes, chains, etc. which are generally considered tools, could be used as a weapon. What about, walking stick, pencils, pens, broom sticks, rakes, shovels, the list goes on. How about other common tools? What else could be quickly weaponized? Of course being a former Marine, I guess an argument could be made that bare handed I'm a weapon. Of course heaven forbid that you have a box cutter in your possesion or forgot your favorite 2" pocket knife while trying to board a plane. Got stopped one day by the FWC and they asked if I had any weapons on board, of course, being a smart ***, I asked them what did they consider a weapon, that kind of got an uneasy chuckle from them. I easily had a dozen, usually harmless, inconspicuous implements within easy reach that could easily be used to effective and deadly effect. I remember when we drove around with a loaded Winchester or/and a shotgun in the gun rack of the rear window of the truck and no one thought anything of it, of course it was pretty plain that you were armed, not with deadly intent in mind, it was just a required tool of the trade. Sorry, guess thats just they way I've been trained to think. I guess our freedoms are eroding.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I have a freind who's son got busted by a cop for having a hunting knife under the drivers seat. Called it a concealed weapon. I think the kid got pulled fro DUI though.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Why don't you get a CWP. Then you won't have to worry about how or what you carry.

Not true at all. A cwp has nothing at all to do with how a weapon is carried in a vehicle
  • jlo86cjjlo86cj Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    AllenR wrote: »
    Not true at all. A cwp has nothing at all to do with how a weapon is carried in a vehicle

It does if it's less than 3 moves away. The CWP covers you for a weapon concealed on "or about" your person. I went through this with a deputy years ago who told me my permit didn't apply to the pistol kept under my seat. After reading the law, he changed his position.
    Jimmy

86cj_Sig.jpgFC1818_Sig_Grey.jpgphoto.jpg
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,620 AG
    jlo86cj wrote: »
    It does if it's less than 3 moves away. The CWP covers you for a weapon concealed on "or about" your person. I went through this with a deputy years ago who told me my permit didn't apply to the pistol kept under my seat. After reading the law, he changed his position.
    What about a samauri sword? or a gensui knife?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    What about a samauri sword? or a gensui knife?

Sure, no problem:)
    Jimmy

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,620 AG
    Sure, no problem:)
    Hunting sat?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • REELKEENREELKEEN Posts: 20 Deckhand

Don't take this the wrong way but the law doesn't say anything about 3 moves, it's a common misconception. If you read it the law states "securely encased."
    It's more of a rule of thumb to be considered "securely encased" used by most LEO's I know. When "securely encased" it is not considered "concealed" and does not require a permit. The point I was trying to make was, if concealed a CWP covers you whether its on your person or in your vehicle not securely encased.
    Jimmy

• FshAddictFshAddict Posts: 36 Deckhand
    This varies from state to state on knives and loaded guns.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Brings up the old question. Why would you bring a knife to a gun fight anyway. The world has got so many bad elements with guns I am getting my carry permit. I got 2 kids busted in Riviera Beach for having a hand gun. They were about 15ish, it fell out of one of thems pants leg in front of me. A friend of mine was a teacher a 13 yr old kid from another school came to his cause another boy was with his girl. He went to draw the weapon from the front of his pants and shot himself in the groin. Took himself out of the gene pool.
  • Fear KnotFear Knot Posts: 151 Officer
    Whoooa whoooa. Were you on the way or returning (or engaged in) from a legal hunting,camping or fishing trip? Then Open Carry is allowed. Read FS 790.25 (h)
  • DesperadoDesperado Posts: 147 Officer
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Florida law says your car is an extension of your house. Therefore you're allowed weapons in your car, concealed, without a CWP permit.

I think if you look into this you'll find that your car (and your boat) is a conveyance and different rules apply than in your home. You can openly carry without a permit inside your house, but you cannot inside your car or boat.

To the OP: 790.001(13) defines “weapon” as: “any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.” Section 790.01(1) makes it a misdemeanor to carry a concealed weapon on your person. Section 790.053 is titled “open carrying of weapons” but it appears to only prohibit carrying on or about your person “any firearm or electric weapon or device,” so it doesn’t look like it applies to weapons generally.
    I’d be careful either way.
    G/B/A
  • DesperadoDesperado Posts: 147 Officer
    You cant open carry in your car, that wasnt the point of my post. I was saying you didnt need a CWP to carry in your car.

You can transport a securely encased firearm by private conveyance (car), but in my mind that is very different than carrying a firearm.
    G/B/A
  • OVERENGINEEREDOVERENGINEERED Posts: 73 Deckhand
    AllenR wrote: »

AllenR, with all due respect, you might want to research that one. Actually, the CWP allows you to legally carry concealed "on or about your person", while in your vehicle.

Per FS 790.25(3)(n), makes it lawful for a person to possess a firearm or any other legal weapon while in his home or place of business, either concealed or in the open, with or without a CWP. This is the only place you can carry concealed without a CWP.

Otherwise, without the CWP, your firearm must be "securely encased" or "not readily accessible for immediate use" (except for a shotgun or long gun of course).

O.E.
  • OVERENGINEEREDOVERENGINEERED Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Florida law says your car is an extension of your house. Therefore you're allowed weapons in your car, concealed, without a CWP permit.

Sorry, the first statement is true but not the second. I think what you are referring to is "The Castle Doctrine". This states that you are not required to retreat while in your home, place of business or personal conveyance. However, this does not address where you can carry concealed. This is covered by FS 790.25. ........but....... there are exemptions under 790.25(3) that state where and when you can carry open or concealed without a permit. One of the exemptions is (IN YOUR VEHICLE) when you are going to or from a fishing, hunting or camping expedition, among others.

However, my understanding is that many LEO's are not aware of the exemptions and it would not be worth the battle. If you don't have a CWP you should carry in a case in your vehicle.

O.E.
  • TheleadmanTheleadman Posts: 97 Deckhand
    When I was 18 my g/f at the time had just turned 16 and put in wanting to drive my car (she just got learners) I gave in and she couldnt drive for, nothing, so we get pulled over told the cop what happened and he ask if he could search the car for alchoal, I say yeah sure and when he pops the trunk he finds a fillet knife, bowie knife, and a pellet riffle, charged me with carrying a concealed weapon on all 3...however in court the judge laughed and tossed it out.

so yes they can (in ga anyway) how good will it do em? In my case non but you may not be so lucky.